Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our four laptops at FD werent talking....Help!  (Read 2455 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »

Well two of them were.  Both had W7.  Mine and the fourth one had XP.

We all used N3FJP FD software 2.6. 

Are W7 and XP doomed to be mutually exclusive when it comes to networking?  OR, is there a simple solution that could be employed?

Thanks in advance.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »

Two suggestions:

1) Ask N3FJP.  He's very responsive to questions.

2) Join the N3FJP_Software_Users Yahoo group and post the question there.  In fact, I just popped over there and noticed that several folks are talking about FD network performance (mostly good, as far as I can tell).

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, expect to be asked a lot of specific questions about your setup.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 03:06:21 AM »

On windows 7 avoid enabling or joining a Homegroup and networking with XP machines will be a little easier.
Not meant as a How-to, just something to keep in mind next time this diseased Redmond-borne option comes up to leave it alone and not enable it.
When sharing folders you have to "allow network users to change your files" and/or you might have to create the same users with the same password (an actual real password- not blank) on the machine that is sharing the folder.
And sometimes you have to jump over the humps that internet security software puts in front of you.
It kinda depends on what kind of "mess" each machine is in Smiley

Networking w7 and XP is completely doable though.

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »

Well two of them were.  Both had W7.  Mine and the fourth one had XP.

We all used N3FJP FD software 2.6. 

Are W7 and XP doomed to be mutually exclusive when it comes to networking?  OR, is there a simple solution that could be employed?

Thanks in advance.

I have multiple PCs running Win2K, WinXP and Win7 with no problems sharing data between them. If the N3FJP s/w your using is like the last version I used (I'll give benefit of the doubt as it was a long while back), but I think maybe you've found your problem.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: