Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "DXCC Sleuth" Blog  (Read 944 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2012, 06:29:19 AM »

I've been fascinated with the "lore" of the DXCC program. The more I tried to shoe horn the program and its entity list into a perfect logical set of rules, the more I got frustrated. I even whined about this entity or that entity.

Then I realized that that is exactly what drives me to keep working towards Honor Roll and Hr #1 - its the imperfection in the program - and the lore and controversy that keeps things exciting. That and what I learn along the way - especially propagation and antenna wise - this is what keeps me motivated.

I have started a blog - and will feature Kingman Reef first, but here is the Introductory article:

http://dxccsleuth.wordpress.com/2012/07/21/the-dxcc-sleuth/

I have found some people who are going to help me - OOT's and OT's who have been around and active in the program and who can tell me some really great stories about why one entity is on the list or another that is not - and the back stories behind all of this.

Let me know what you think . . .
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 07:23:06 AM »

When I was in college back in the 80s I discovered my university library had copies of QST going back to, I believe, somewhere in the 1940s, and CQ from its beginning.  I took light course loads in the summers and spent many hot summer afternoons in air conditioned comfort, immersing myself in DXing history.  It was an opportunity to gain insight on how the DXCC program progressed and the controversies along the way.  And CQ and QST/ARRL often had a different perspective on things.  Great stuff!

If you haven't already, you might wish to check out QST/CQ archives, especially the real old stuff - I presume it's all on CD now.  And it's even better that you're able to tap the memory banks of some OTs who were around to live it.  I look forward to checking in on your blog from time to time.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 07:39:20 AM »

When I was in college back in the 80s I discovered my university library had copies of QST going back to, I believe, somewhere in the 1940s, and CQ from its beginning.  I took light course loads in the summers and spent many hot summer afternoons in air conditioned comfort, immersing myself in DXing history.  It was an opportunity to gain insight on how the DXCC program progressed and the controversies along the way.  And CQ and QST/ARRL often had a different perspective on things.  Great stuff!

If you haven't already, you might wish to check out QST/CQ archives, especially the real old stuff - I presume it's all on CD now.  And it's even better that you're able to tap the memory banks of some OTs who were around to live it.  I look forward to checking in on your blog from time to time.

Excellent idea. I will certainly order the full CD set. That will at least give me a standard "jumping off point" for each article. Add in a pinch of Ot and OOT stories and a pinch of Google searches, and this should be fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: