Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXCC Online Application Turn Around?  (Read 4982 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »

I just submitted my first DXCC Online Application - just over a week ago. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and could share what their turn around time was. My card checker checked my cards, signed the app and mailed it last Monday.

Thanks,

Rich
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 04:50:47 AM »

I did my phone one about three months ago. It took the better part of two weeks from the time everything was submitted to the time I had my award. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 05:16:47 AM »

Ah - very good. That sure does beat the 6+ weeks for a 100% paper application. I do wonder if the ARRL will ever let the card checker log in and do an electronic signature - seems strange that even with the "online" application that the checker still has to mail in a paper application.

Oh well - its still faster and worth doing it online. Cheaper too.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 05:48:03 AM »

OR, could it be that we are getting a not-so-subtle nudge to use only LOTW for the process?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3_UCm1A5I
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 05:54:31 AM »

Ah - very good. That sure does beat the 6+ weeks for a 100% paper application. I do wonder if the ARRL will ever let the card checker log in and do an electronic signature - seems strange that even with the "online" application that the checker still has to mail in a paper application.

That would be awesome. Eliminate the mailing of QSL cards, just put some check boxes and a notes section for the card checker to put notes in for denied cards. A card checker already has to have internet and a computer. This would streamline the process.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:03:25 AM »

OR, could it be that we are getting a not-so-subtle nudge to use only LOTW for the process?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3_UCm1A5I

The ARRL will want us all to become "go-ers" . . . .
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:37:13 AM by KY6R » Logged
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 08:18:07 AM »

I just submitted my first DXCC Online Application - just over a week ago. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and could share what their turn around time was. My card checker checked my cards, signed the app and mailed it last Monday.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,
I did the exact same by submitting my first DXCC Online Application for cards that were not in LoTW. I had my cards checked on June 16th at a local hamfest and I imagine the app was mailed last Monday as well. I've been checking my online account for any change of status but nothing yet. From what I've been reading it's been taking upwards of around two weeks so I'm thinking I may see something updated online perhaps by the end of the week.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:20 AM »

That would be awesome. Eliminate the mailing of QSL cards, just put some check boxes and a notes section for the card checker to put notes in for denied cards. A card checker already has to have internet and a computer. This would streamline the process.

I had thought about this myself. Most of the card checkers I know are fairly computer savvy. There is no reason why they shouldn't be able to log into LOTW, select only certain applications, and approve them on the spot after they have been checked. Like you mentioned, they could have check and comment boxes for rejected cards. The league would still have the opportunity to review approvals if there is any question of a card validity, but for the most part, it would virtually eliminate the wait time for application approval. And I don't really see any greater risk of rule violation by this method either.

I know, baby steps Smiley

John K7KB
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 12:32:43 PM »

Sadly, as it is, LoTW and eQSL's eAwards are the most modern systems in amateur radio awards today. The rest of the awards are handled by paper and manual review, with email and excel spreadsheets.

When you see stuff like ClubLog and how it is so nicely put together, one wonders whether ARRL and others could hire a few volunteers or even pay a few people to update the systems to something more modern.
AA8LL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »

My Online DXCC cards were checked at the Dayton Hamvention in May during the first hour.  Still not up yet on LotW award list and all they need to do in Newington is hit the OK button.  I think it's going a bit slow for some reason.  Must be in the same queue as the ones they have to enter by hand.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 06:30:40 PM »

I submitted 20 Online cards to ARRL card checker in May, along with a LOTW submission. The LOTW entities were credited within a few days. The cards (non LOTW) entities showed up on LOTW last Saturday, a bit longer than a month since Dayton where I had them checked.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »

The online application has been updated today - it says it was received 6-27-2012. It was mailed by my card checker on Monday, June 18, so this is pretty good turn around. Now it will be very interesting to see when the totals in LOTW reflect the change - adding the new credits. I'll update this thread when it happens. I'm betting it will happen over night tonight.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 08:50:41 AM »

KY6R,
Hmm, mine is still in a pending state. Did your entity count go up yet since yours indicated it was received?
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 09:17:08 AM »

KY6R,
Hmm, mine is still in a pending state. Did your entity count go up yet since yours indicated it was received?

No - they must go through the mail, record the apps they get and then put them in a stack. My guess is they have two stacks - the "Express" or Online App stack - since the cards are checked and the app is paid for, and then the "Slow" stack - where they have to check cards, charge your card, etc.

I've heard its about a 2 week turn around for Online Applications. If the snail mail were taken out of the equation, it could be much quicker. And the ARRL's security seems up to the task - just have the card checker log in and approve. I say - empower the card checkers.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 10:24:46 AM »

KY6R,

No - they must go through the mail, record the apps they get and then put them in a stack. My guess is they have two stacks - the "Express" or Online App stack - since the cards are checked and the app is paid for, and then the "Slow" stack - where they have to check cards, charge your card, etc.

I've heard its about a 2 week turn around for Online Applications. If the snail mail were taken out of the equation, it could be much quicker. And the ARRL's security seems up to the task - just have the card checker log in and approve. I say - empower the card checkers.

I suppose another factor of course is how long it takes your app to get sent from the card checker and when they send it off. We're in the next state over, but perhaps the checker waits until a few other hamfests to send a larger bunch.

I agree on having the card checkers have some sort of process that they can approve the application digitally online vs snail mail. I imagine that could be coming down the road.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: