Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perfect External Speaker for Shack  (Read 3570 times)
NS8Q

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »

I currently have a Midland 4-ohm non-powered external speaker.  It does an alright job, but it would be nice to have something with a little better sound so I don't have to listen to the radio coming out of a tin can anymore.  What does everyone else use?  We had an el-cheapo Radio Shack 8-ohm speaker for Field Day and it sounds awesome, especially being outdoors.  I can only imagine what that would be sounds like in the shack.  Of course, it's probably 15-20 years old and they don't sell them anymore.

Chris KC8CAJ
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:43:27 PM »

I use two old RadioShack, Minimus, indoor-outdoor speakers with my Kenwood TS2000. It has speaker outputs for the main and sub-receiver.  I also use one of the old RadioShack communications speakers for the HF radio in our county EOC.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:48:12 PM »

There's no perfect external speaker. There are preferences depending on how one operates. I suggest going to the review section of eham and reading the reviews of the various speakers available.

My own preference, as a cw op, is for speakers and headphones of limited frequency range. To me the lack of full response outside the range of cw (or ssb for that matter) signals eliminates high pitched sounds which are unpleasant and tiring. My hearing is just somewhat limited in my middle age, but I can hear to about 12K Hz. I use JRC phones and Yaesu MLS100 (often labeled Vertex) speakers. They're about $50 each. These speakers produce a less distorted sound than the tiny built-in speakers in most receivers or transceivers, are efficient, can play plenty loud, are small, durable and easy to mount on the equipment shelf on your operating desk.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:11:48 PM »

I use some vintage (but you can still find them on eBay) Radio Shack Minimus 3.5 speakers in the shack.

I put two of them in series and put one on each side of the amplifier which sits on the shelf above the rig.

The sound coming out of these little things is amazing.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »

Our Club trailer (with an IC-7000) uses a Radio Shack "indoor/outdoor" speaker -- metal case, 3- or 4-inch woofer, little tweeter) and gets good results.

I'm on the "hi-fi" side of the debate about loudspeaker frequency response.  _If_ your rig has good filtering, a loudspeaker with extended frequency response can sound very nice.  My FT-450 sounds very good through a wood-box Radio Shack 'bookshelf speaker' with a 4- or 5-inch woofer and tweeter.   It sounds even better through a Behringer MS40 "powered studio monitor", which has a 4.5" woofer and tweeter with remarkable bass response.  The FT-450 has digital IF filtering, and there's no "hiss" in its output.

I also use Sennheiser HD280 headphones on both those rigs.  I'm just a frustrated ESSB guy at heart.<g>

Try your local thrift shop -- old loudspeakers are usually easy to find, and not expensive.

Charles
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 04:29:23 AM »

You needn't go too far to get a good commo speaker.  Look on e-bay--or at a hamfest--for the GE or Motorola speakers that usually went with the older in trunk radio systems.  Those speakers were made for commo work (well, voice communications) and are ideal for use on rigs that have the little 'tin-can' speakers.

I have three of them set up in my go-case, one for each rig, HF and V/UHF and a scanner.  I also have a couple that I use in the shack.  Just my experience, but communications heard over those speakers sound great.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:59:32 AM »

In a mobile environment I like the sound the motorola "pillow" speakers have.  With enough drive they can be heard over just about any ambient noise.  In the hamshack however I much prefer the fidelity of a bookshelf speaker over mobile speakers.  Even on HF I prefer a wide response speaker, leaving filtering to the radio.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 06:57:33 AM »

For smaller rigs or general purpose around the shack,  I have some of the old RS Minimus 0.3 cubes.  These are pretty small speakers. Little wood box and a driver that is semi hi fi and heavy. Despite their size, they have excellent voice response and enough low end response, not tinny or thin like small comm speakers usually are.  I recommend them highly for compact setups HF or VHF. Then any of the generic box speakers for radios with like a 3X5 up to 5X7, or such, ovals usually can sound nice.  I took a scratched up Yaesu speaker matched for the FT 101 series and palnted it textured black to match a Ten Tec radio and it sounds quite nice on HF.  Some computer speakers or small hi fi types can either sound good or horrible on ham stuff.  So get those cheap as you may not be satisfied. Leave the little metal or plastic box extensions for mobile use.  Or maybe a larger comm speaker from a vintage SW or ham rig if you can afford it.     
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 08:16:28 AM »

You cannot go wrong with the Radio Shack Minimus speakers.  Same excellent results are achieved with one in the wood box or the metal outdoor enclosure.

Greg
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 11:26:44 AM »

yup there are several sizes of the radio shack speaker, I like the optimus style, and I think there is also an identical one from rca and others.  they have a metal case, and speaker grill, in either a 6 inch tall size or an 11 inch size, in white or black usually.  I have even used the speakers from the kids old stereo, you know, about a foot tall and with wood grain paper for the case.  the big thing is the speaker is larger  than a 1 or 2 inch speaker in the radio, and also the remote speaker is also facing your ears and not pointing straight up.  The older you get the more important good loud  clear speakers are.  and the best is a set of comfortable, head phones.

WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »

This is a subjective subject, but don't invest too much in speakers for communications use, save it for antennas and radios.  This is not High Fidelity, 2-300 Hz for a low and maybe 4-5KHz for a high freq limit... and it only has to handle about 2-3 watts... so just about any speaker will do.  But it is nice to see the companies using better speakers in their radios lately.  And, a good set of headphones is the BEST way to go!
73s.

-Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: