The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCF wire antenna in deed restricted area  (Read 11067 times)
AA5WG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 04:50:55 PM »

For multi-band operations the balanced doublet is hard to beat.  This antenna combined with a mechanically and electrically balanced antenna coupler, with open wire feeders, is a great way to go.  I am referring to the link antenna coupler.  

The ARRL handbooks from the mid 1940's to the 1960's have invaluable information on these antenna couplers.

Many have used, with success, this antenna system (link antenna coupler, home brew ladder line and a center fed doublet) with the doublet being straight, bent, low or high.

Use home made balanced line.  It is far superior in efficiency when the weather is wet.  

The primary advantage of the link antenna coupler is multi-band/full band coverage.  The secondary advantages are no balun to heat, no roller inductor to arc, no antenna swithch to arc and no antenna relays to arc.

Good luck.

Chuck
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:04:32 PM by AA5WG » Logged
AE5JU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 08:50:05 PM »

When measuring an OCFD with an analyzer make sure you have the analyzer tied to earth ground and not floating.  Otherwise you may likely get erroneous readings, especially on the lower bands.  When you actually use the antenna with your transceiver and tuner, it is connected to earth ground through the coax shield, chassis of the tuner and transceiver, to wherever you have that grounded.

Next, it's a little long.  66' overall length with a good 4:1 CURRENT balun should give you better results for 40 meters on up.  It does on the several I've made for myself, our club, and a few friends.  Let me suggest a 41' + 25' split.

Yes, you will still need a tuner to get the final touchup.  I don't see a problem with that.  It's a very simple antenna and works a lot of bands.  What's wrong with that?

Do try to get it as high as you can.  Also, you can let the ends droop to fit your lot.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: