Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Packet Software  (Read 5679 times)
KK4HOK

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2012, 07:17:59 AM »

Hopefully this is the right spot to post this.

I recently decided to get a TNC (KPC 3+) and am looking for some feedback and suggestions on what software you use with your TNC (or have seen success with).  I'd *prefer* it to be able to run on Windows 7 x64, but I do have a Windows 7 x86 box I can use, or I can cave in and reinstall XP on a machine for this.  

I haven't looked much myself, and am fairly new to the overall practice/idea of using a TNC, so I'm not sure what "features" to really be looking for.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:43:32 AM »

You could start with any dumb terminal program like Windows HyperTerm (free with XP) or a variety of others for free on the Internet. It's kind of like the old DOS days - you type in commands and read the responses. It works well if your primary interest is in keyboard to keyboard communications with other stations or just monitoring.

There are a variety of other Windows programs around that will work with the KPC3, depending on what you want to do with the KPC3.
KK4HOK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:18:03 PM »

There are a variety of other Windows programs around that will work with the KPC3, depending on what you want to do with the KPC3.

I guess that's what I am more interested in... I will likely be using putty for the initial configuration (since windows decided to not use hyper terminal in Windows 7), but what type of setups have you done yourself, experienced, etc., based on what you were using it for?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »

You might look at Outpost http://www.outpostpm.org/ if you are interested in accessing a BBS system for traffic. For general use you can add TNC access to MixW and some of the other sound card software. Most of the TNC programs around are old DOS based programs. You might try a search on "Packet Radio Terminal Programs for Windows". to get some ideas.

Personally, I usually wind up just going back to HyperTerm (which you can now purchase for Windows7) for the little bit that I do with a TNC. Most of the BBS and nodes have gone by the wayside in my area.
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 06:35:03 AM »

I've still got Emcomm Ops for $39.95... Smiley

http://www.w4pc.com/EmComm_Ops.html

It allows for multiple streams in multiple windows.. Kantronics Host Mode app
KK4HOK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 07:14:47 AM »

I've still got Emcomm Ops for $39.95... Smiley

http://www.w4pc.com/EmComm_Ops.html

It allows for multiple streams in multiple windows.. Kantronics Host Mode app
Is it possible to grab some screenshots of what that looks like?  charles@kk4hok.com would be awesome if you don't mind.  I'd like to see that in action a little...
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 05:16:55 AM »

Emcomm Ops is about the only supported software out there for TNCs. You don't need screen shots since you can go the w4pc.com website and download it as a 30 day trial. If you like it, you can buy the registration code to keep using it.

I have been using it for about a month and just registered it as it works very well for me. Oh, and yes it works with Windows 7 64-bit and that is what I am using.

As an FYI - if using a serial to usb adapter, make sure you use an adapter with the FTDI (or is it FDTI?) chipset and not prolific. I have had issues with the KPC3+ and the Prolific adapters. The FTDI works fine.

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: