Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations for current radio receivers  (Read 2515 times)
KD7KUN

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:30:49 PM »

One of my co-workers is interested in a radio receiver, she would like it to be mult-iband with AM/FM (perhaps inclusive of digital FM).  She isn't interested in portability.  I've done some research on my own and located several options; all of them are portable (which would appeal to me...I'm saving my pennies now to get one) but I think she is looking for something that would have FM stereo.  I am not aware if she has a stereo amplifier she plans to plug this into or not, so that may be an option if it is portable (her job is selecting music for our library system, so it has to be pretty good).  Additionally, if it could do wi-fi connections as well that would be a plus.

Now, all you experts out there...does such a thing exist?  Can it also make coffee?  Grin
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:05:08 PM »

Tons of stuff like this on the market.  The "non portable" units are almost always better than the portable ones, with more features and more power.

Stuff like this: http://www.amazon.com/Teac-AG-790-AM-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B00009K087

It requires external speakers, of course.

Focus on "receiver" as opposed to "tuner."  A tuner normally has no power amplifier in it and needs to be connected to first an amplifier and then speakers.  A "receiver" normally includes an integrated power amplifier, so all you need is speakers.  Either one requires an FM antenna, although in metro areas a small cheapie one often provided with the RX can be good enough for local stuff.
KD7KUN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:31:35 PM »

Thanks!  I didn't quite describe it as I should have; she would like it to be capable of shotwave reception (meant to insert SW in my first message).  A case of my brain being 56k in a 15Gb world.   Tongue
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:01:57 PM »

There are lots of possibilities like http://www.sangean.com/products/product.asp?mid=75&cid=10 just to name one. The main question is really what she expects from the radio.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 06:32:06 AM »

My vote would be something like the portable SW receiver paired up with a separate integrated amplifier and speakers Smiley

Vintage Kenwood, Marantz or Pioneer amps are cheap on the used market.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 07:31:12 AM »

Now, if I knew of an AM/FM/SW quality radio I think I would own it.  I think this is really two radios and the main reason is that any radio (non-portable or portable) that includes SW is usually pretty weak on the AM and especially the FM side of the features.  I already own a Bose radio, AM/FM/CD/Digital which is beyond excellent in quality of sound.  And, for SW I think the best for a casual SWL would be a used Icom receiver, maybe the R75 or one of the other models.  Sure, this may be more then you need but I think a lot better then most of the other commercial stuff sold.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:45:12 AM »

If you want a really modern receiver you should also consider SDR like the Winradio G305. Fortunately you did not give any limits price wise  Wink
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »

There are lots of possibilities like http://www.sangean.com/products/product.asp?mid=75&cid=10 just to name one. The main question is really what she expects from the radio.

I've had those; I think they're awful!  But everything's relative: They're also small and cheap.

There are a few SW/AM/FM "home station" receivers on the market which are quite good and also quite expensive, and I can't offhand recall any that were actually "stereo."  They're usually mono because that's what SW and AM is.  The Icom IC-R8500 springs to mind as a very good SW-AM-FM receiver but it's not stereo.  It's a desktop, not a portable, but has one speaker and I "think" only monaural reception.
KD7KUN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 04:13:45 PM »

Well, as far as price goes...I did mention the Icom R9500, but she seemed a little green around the gills when I told her it was about 12 grand.

Sangean is a model that she has looked at but thought there might be better out there; sadly I haven't been nearly as active in the HAM community as I would like to be so I haven't kept up on the latest toys on the market.  I know that Grundig had some multi-band receivers, but whether any are able to pick-up FM or FM digital well is an unknown to me.  That's why I come the the experts.

The Seattle area does seem to have a lot of problems with FM drift and interference at times; I think that is why she is thinking FM digital (or FM HD as it is sometimes called).  I realize that everything will have its pluses and minuses and I probably won't find it all in a single radio.  But since I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge...that's what you all are for!! Roll Eyes
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 05:51:34 PM »

If she's looking for high quality and something that sounds good, I'd walk in the opposite direction from Sangean.  It's all cheap stuff that to me sounds awful and they don't make any sort of a good receiver.

Sadly, neither does "Grundig," which used to be a revered German manufacturer a long time ago but today it's all made in China and just junk.  I own two or three of their modern products, and they're worthy of taking on a rowboat to listen to broadcasts, and if it falls overboard, no great loss.

She needs to possibly re-define the goal.  If it's high quality, good sounding, good performing, for home use (and not portable), you're talking several hundred to several thousand dollars.

Our home Denon stereo system, which doesn't include shortwave but is AM/FM and sounds okay, between the tuner and the amp ran about $2400.  Not including speakers, but we got a great deal on some JBL closeout studio speakers made just up the street (where JBL-Harmon-Infinity is located) and they ran only about $1200 for the set (at about a 75% discount!).

The little Bose "wave" products sound good for their incredibly small size; we have one bedside as a clock radio, and it sounds impressive for something you can carry under your arm; but no shortwave, and definitely no "big stereo" sound. 

Even those are about $395 or something.

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 09:54:46 PM »

Sadly, neither does "Grundig," which used to be a revered German manufacturer a long time ago but today it's all made in China ... 
Your statement is incorrect. Grundig went bankrupt in 2003. The turkish Koç-Holding bought them except the sat-tv and car radio section. Since their products are actually manufactured in Turkey. Only some administrative offices are still in Nuernberg, Germany.
The only companies still manufacturing in Germany are: Loewe, Metz and Technisat.
I recently bought a bench drill from Bosch which read 'Made in China'. So the formula is not as simple to say: China equals junk.  Wink
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 06:13:50 PM »

Sadly, neither does "Grundig," which used to be a revered German manufacturer a long time ago but today it's all made in China ... 
Your statement is incorrect. Grundig went bankrupt in 2003. The turkish Koç-Holding bought them except the sat-tv and car radio section. Since their products are actually manufactured in Turkey. Only some administrative offices are still in Nuernberg, Germany.
The only companies still manufacturing in Germany are: Loewe, Metz and Technisat.
I recently bought a bench drill from Bosch which read 'Made in China'. So the formula is not as simple to say: China equals junk.  Wink

Interesting info, but my Grunding G5 says "made in China" molded right into the case.  And I agree, it's junk.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 09:53:45 PM »

May be it is a cloned Grundig?
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 12:40:13 PM »

Steve,

Maybe only the Grundig plastic case is made in China.   Grin

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print