K7CB, be VERY careful. I had almost the exact same situation concerning a home I build a couple of years ago.
- the realtor took us to this area that already had a ham with a huge tribander and tower
- told us there was NO HOA or any restrictions (correct)
- I applied for and received permission from the County Building Dept for my 2 towers.
- Building Dept stated in writing, ham towers were EXEMPT from ANY restrictions
- neighbors got together, pooled their money and sued us
- they were wealthy and knew they could NOT win but just wanted us out
- case was dismissed by the Judge in our favor
We had to spend thousands to hire a lawyer to defend ourselves.
Get this... One assh-le neighbor was 'against' us even though I bought his TV tower and put it up at my house!!! WTF???
However, between the death threats, and being driven off the road, my ex couldn't take it. She couldn't even go outside to work on her plants without someone driving by and swearing.
Now, I just LOVE a fight, but she was 'normal' and moved. Had to sell the house, my DREAM shop, DREAM shack, etc.
The bottom line is:
ANYONE can sue ANYONE for ANYTHING. Yeah, you might win, but at what cost?
(now living with NO neighbors and 3 towers)