Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Write your congressman about unreasonable antenna restrictions  (Read 11582 times)
N4UM

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »

The report on the congress-mandated FCC/Department of Homeland Security study of the role of the Amateur Radio Service in emergency communications and impediments to the Amateur Radio Service is due in congress by August. It would seem that the congressmen most likely to be paying particular attention to that study are members of the Subcommittee on Communications and Technology - part of the Committee on Energy and Commerce of the House of Representatives along with the Subcommittee on Communications, Technology and the Internet - part of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation.  Their names are listed below should you have any interest in contacting them regarding your opinions about the role of amateur radio in emergency communications and about impediments to amateur radio - such as unreasonable antenna restrictions imposed by developers and HOAs.

I'm sure the congressmen most concerned with these two issues will rely heavily on the findings in the FCC/Department of Homeland Security study but may also be influenced by hearing directly from amateurs.  If you have any interest in these two issues I suggest you contact one or more of the members of congress listed below and make your feelings known prior to this August.

Committee on Energy and Commerce of the House of Representatives
(Subcommittee on Communications and Technology) - Representatives
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
Greg Walden   Lee Terry      Cliff Stearns   John Shimkus
Mary Bono Mack   Mike Rogers   Brian Bilbray   Charlie Bass
Marsha Blackburn   Phil Gingrey   Steve Scalise   Bob Latta
Brett Guthrie   Adam Kinzinger   Joe Barton   Anna Eshoo
Ed Markey   Mike Doyle   Doris Matsui   John Barrow
Donna Christian   Ed Townes   Frank Pallone   Bobby Rush
Diana DeGette

Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation
(Subcommittee on Communications, Technology and the Internet) - Senators

John Kerry   Daniel Inouye   Barbara Boxer   Bill Nelson
Maria Cantwell   Frank Lautenberg   Mark Pryor   Claire McCaskill
Amy Klobuchar   Tom Udall   Mark Warner   Mark Begich
Jim DeMint   Olympia Snowe   John Thune   Roger Wicker
Johnny Isakson   Roy Blunt      John Boozman   Patrick Toomey
Marco Rubio   Kelly Ayotte   Dean Heller
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:53:18 AM »

In order to actually get a congressperson's attention, you'll have to include a "campaign contribution" of six figures or more.
AC7DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 07:51:02 PM »

I wrote all of mine and asked them to vote against it. They already waste time on more important things than a couple of thousand hams who now have buyers remorse Roll Eyes
N1EN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 05:05:36 AM »

I wrote all of mine and asked them to vote against it. They already waste time on more important things than a couple of thousand hams who now have buyers remorse Roll Eyes

Hoping to make future pileups smaller by shrinking the pool of potential future hams, eh?
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 10:09:43 AM »

I wrote all of mine and asked them to vote against it. They already waste time on more important things than a couple of thousand hams who now have buyers remorse - Yeah I'm still a Jack Ass - until my next BS statements - 73 AC7DX Roll Eyes
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »

This will never happen for the following reasons:

1. Hams make up a tiny percentage of the population. Assuming a total of 700K hams, that's only about 0.2% of the U.S. population. Of that 700K, probably only about 350k are active at all and many of those are only interested in repeaters and have no need for large outdoor antennas ("shack on a belt").

2. The opposition, real estate developers and non-ham homeowners, are much more numerous and have far more clout, both political and financial.

3. The justification that hams always trot out in these cases, "public service", is becoming less and less of a factor as government organizations rely less and less on hams in times of emergency. Ham radio is first and foremost a hobby--very few hams (if they're honest with themselves) have any real interest in public service, nor do they participate when the need arises.
AC7DX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 04:08:59 PM »

So how did all this Antenna stuff and HOA's and politicians work out?
AC7DX
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »

So how did all this Antenna stuff and HOA's and politicians work out?
AC7DX

Stirring the pot again Ron? I really have a hard time understanding you. For a avid DX'er such as yourself, I would think that you would be against draconian antenna restrictions that many HOA's use. From your QRZ.com page, I see that you live in a HOA and have acquired #1 Honor Roll and 7BDXCC. But I'm willing to bet good money, considering you have been licensed since 1954 that you DID not acquire those awards while living in your HOA. Am I right?

So just out of curiosity, what antennas did you use to acquire those awards? Somehow I doubt it was done using a 30 foot flagpole vertical out in your front lawn Smiley

John K7KB

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:31:42 AM by K7KB » Logged
AC7DX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 02:15:38 PM »

I just asked a question.. I am NOT stirring the pot..I hadnt seen any new comments. I do not care one way or the other. I live in an HOA and I am fine with that.
Check with the arrl...I started dxing in 1987.. and yes..from the condo.
Only thing on a flag pole in the complex is an American flag.
We are not allowed antennas and thats what we agreed to when we bought. Personally, I think a mans word or promise shouldn't be ran over by a few whiners who bought, signed their name and later became hams. or use the disaster crap as an excuse..there are more than enough radios for all kinds of disasters without having a tower as hand helds and mobiles go quite a distance. If it gets so bad you cant use that, then your already dead or soon will be. So instead of whining, honor your agreement and STFU
Ron
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 03:30:50 PM »

You are not allowed antennas at your condo and yet you managed #1 Honor Roll and 7BDXCC. I think every person in a HOA would like to know your secret if you don't have a remote operation Smiley

John K7KB
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »

I think the solution is to have the HOA and CC&Rs disclosed in plain English before going into contract. This would avoid a lot of problems.

I have no sympathy for hams who knowingly buy into a gated community with known antenna restrictions, but I'm more sympathetic towards hams who didn't know they were buying into a HOA controlled community until it was too late.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 08:02:36 AM »

If you think that writing your congresscritter and asking for their support of the move to abolish these restrictions are going to do anything, you're nuts--except if that congresscritter is a ham themselves.  You'll get a form letter back with a promise to "look into the matter," and that will be the extent of their effort.  There are a heck of a lot more people trying to get these 'nanny laws' put in place than there will ever be trying to get them squashed.

Be smart from the get go and buy a place that doesn't have the restrictions.  You'll be happier if you want outside antennas--and you won't be fighting an uphill, nearly useless battle trying to get the restrictions squashed.
K4EZD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »

AC7DX
You are not allowed antennas at your condo and yet you managed #1 Honor Roll and 7BDXCC. I think every person in a HOA would like to know your secret if you don't have a remote operation

I also would like to know how you are doing it in an HOA.  Seriously, what is your setup?  Your page on QRZ is very vague and your google map view on QRZ shows your location as being out in the middle of a large open field.  Please let us know the details of your setup. It would add significantly to the discussion. 

Thanks.

NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 05:44:06 AM »

AC7DX
You are not allowed antennas at your condo and yet you managed #1 Honor Roll and 7BDXCC. I think every person in a HOA would like to know your secret if you don't have a remote operation

I also would like to know how you are doing it in an HOA.  Seriously, what is your setup?  Your page on QRZ is very vague and your google map view on QRZ shows your location as being out in the middle of a large open field.  Please let us know the details of your setup. It would add significantly to the discussion.  

Just search his old posts and you find that he's using a remote HF station 20 miles from his condo.

That is a valid way to beat the HOA rules if you have the resources to do something like that. Although I think it's disingenuous to say that he got 7DXCC "all from the condo" since the transmitter (and antenna) location is NOT at the condo although technically the "control point" is in the condo. However the DXCC rules state that for award purposes the location of the "station" is defined as the location of the transmitter. But really it's kind of nit-picking since it is all valid DXCC. I say good for him for finding a way to enjoy the hobby and still live within the restrictions he agreed to!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:46:41 AM by WN9HJW » Logged
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 12:29:46 PM »

That's fine and why I mentioned a remote operation in my previous message. However like you stated, running a remote operation is NOT the same as doing #1 Honor Roll and 5BDXCC from his antenna restricted HOA as he claimed. And while that's great for Ron, not everyone has that option.

John K7KB
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: