Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CI-V ICOM Commands  (Read 5557 times)
KI4PCB

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:32:50 AM »

Is there anywhere that has a list of commands that can be sent to an ICOM 746 via CI-V interface?  Specifically looking for read and write memory locations and read current frequency.
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:23:21 PM »

If I remember correctly, there was an entire list of CI-V commands in the back of the owners manual.
KI4PCB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 07:11:29 PM »

If I remember correctly, there was an entire list of CI-V commands in the back of the owners manual.

Thanks for that.  I did find them in the back of the manual.  Now I just need to figure out the exact format it wants the commands in.
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:35:43 AM »

The manual is a little bit misleading in the examples it gives of the commands. If I remember correctly, they state something to the effect that the command value range is an 8 bit word between the values of 0 and 255, but they forget to mention this has to be entered in hexadecimal! So if you are trying to control volume, the hex values of 00 would be 0%, 7F would be 50%, and FF would be 100%.

An easy way to convert decimal values to hex is to use the standard windows calculator app. Start the calculator app,  and under the VIEW tab select scientific. You'll see 2 radio buttons on the left side under the display window. Click on DEC, enter the decimal value you want from the keypad, and then click on HEX to get the conversion to hexadecimal.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:38:15 AM by KA1MDA » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 07:57:46 AM »

Remember too that the CI-V system is intended to be multiple access. Each command packet send must contain the unique hex address of the receiver it is intended for. Icom uses a default address for each model of device but that is programmable and could have been changed by someone.

Here's a link to Icom's CI-V manual:
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/kb/article.aspx?ArticleNumber=63AE624429

You can probably find some additional on-line help with Google "Icom CI-V commands".
KI4PCB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 07:50:32 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.  The problem I am having is the radio does not appear to be getting the commands.  I know I have good connectivity to it because if I open up hyperterminal and spin the tuning dial I can see the command format for the new frequency come across the screen.  But if I type a command string into hyperterminal nothing happens on the radio. Huh
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 05:52:45 AM »

Make sure the HEX address of the radio matches the hex address for the radio in software. Also, check your menu settings and make sure TRANCEIVE MODE to OFF.
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:01:36 PM »

If you use HRD it can be set in a self find mode to get communication up and running with the rig.
To get the CI-V up and running you must check that the CI-V parameters is set right.
 746 Pro: menu parameter 36, 37, 38, 39 is set t according to page 88.
746 : menu parameter 27, 28, 28,30 is set t according to page 64.
Check also that you are using the correct Com port.
KI4PCB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 07:01:56 AM »

I know I have good COMMS between the PC and the radio because I can control the radio with HRD.  What I need is a DB9 CI-V control  Then I can make a tap off so I can monitor the actual string of characters that are being sent to the radio from HRD or another app I found ( CIV-Test ).

Does anyone have an old DB9 CI-V control that they don't use anymore because they don't have a PC with a serial port any more?
KI4PCB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »

So I had an idea about how to see the string of text that is sent by computers to the 746.  I used a DB9 null modem adapter and connected the COM ports of two computers.  I opened hyper-terminal on both computers and configured hyper-terminal for 19200 on both.  I type on PC1 one and the text appears on PC2.  I type on PC2 one and the text appears on PC1.

Then I close Hyper-terminal on PC1 and open up CIVTest.  I tell it to send a command.  hieroglyphics displayed in Hyper-terminal on PC2.  Huh
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 02:02:48 AM »

Check that ci-v adress is set correct.
746 . set pos 28 is 56H
746 pro. set pos is 66H

Check also the speed of the databus and the data format bits and stop bits and so on.

In the past when I had problems to get the rig to work propperly with CI-V it is usualy the CI-V adress that cause the problems.
On way to check that the rig is transmitting the CI-V comand is to use a terminal program to see the data as you have done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: