Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Android: learn fast CW with Koch method  (Read 26103 times)
IZ2UUF

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2012, 02:46:11 PM »

Hello dear friends.

I have developed an Android application that implements the Koch training method, a very effective way to learn fast CW.
For anyone interested in learning more about "Koch" method, this web page by N1IRZ explains what this is about.
My application is called IZ2UUF Morse Koch CW: it is free, ad-free and it can be downloaded from Google Play (Android Market).

Please, let me know if you encounter any problem and/or if you have any enhancement to propose.

Bye,
Davide - IZ2UUF

Davide IZ2UUF - FISTS #16285 - SKCC #9531 - JN45nk
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »

Nice job. I like that it continues the lesson in the background. That way if I'm out and about I can use the Memo app for typing letters when practicing.

Also was able to use Wolphi's Morse decoder app to decode the lessons, just for fun.
KW6CSS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:04:39 AM »

Thanks for writing this...  I downloaded it last week, and have been enjoying it.  I've been using the G4FON tutor on my hiome computer, and have been having good results.  With your program I can practice anywhere, and that's quite handy...

One thing though.  It would be nice if there were a slight pause in the program after you press the "play" button, before the code started.  It's a little tricky for me to press the button and then reset my hand with my pen to copy the code.  I've been able to set up my pen and pad with my right hand and press the button with my left, but it's still kind of tricky.  The G4FON trainer seems to have a small pause at the beginning of the sequence so it's not an issue.

I know it;s a nitpick, but by far my biggest problem with learning Koch is the speed with which I can physically write, and not my speed of decoding... Especially those "big" letters like "M" and "W."  Not sure how I can get better at that other than more practice!

Thanks again for the great app! Smiley
Mike
IZ2UUF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:41:27 AM »

Thanks for writing this...  I downloaded it last week, and have been enjoying it.  I've been using the G4FON tutor on my hiome computer, and have been having good results.  With your program I can practice anywhere, and that's quite handy...

One thing though.  It would be nice if there were a slight pause in the program after you press the "play" button, before the code started.  It's a little tricky for me to press the button and then reset my hand with my pen to copy the code.  I've been able to set up my pen and pad with my right hand and press the button with my left, but it's still kind of tricky.  The G4FON trainer seems to have a small pause at the beginning of the sequence so it's not an issue.

I know it;s a nitpick, but by far my biggest problem with learning Koch is the speed with which I can physically write, and not my speed of decoding... Especially those "big" letters like "M" and "W."  Not sure how I can get better at that other than more practice!

Hi Mike.

Version 1.0.005 (yet to be released) has a programmable pause before start playing because I also have your problem (and, I believe, anyone).

I also have an hard time to keep up with fast CW, since I can't write fast enough. This is why I added a programmable space between words (feature that G4FON's software doesn't have): in this way, you can listen to a fast sequence but you have a little time to "buffer" it and write it down.
It is actually what happens in real QSO: you just need to write down the callsign of your counterparty; you don't have to write down your own callsign and all the other "glue" text received.
In version 1.0.005 I added a "slashed zero", so it easier to distinguish it from uppercase "O" plus other minor features.

Furthermore, some releases of Android have a bug and do not provide with valid default values for settings, despite of what claimed by Android specs. Therefore, at first installation, on some devices character and word spacing is set to "0" even if it is not one of the valid values; it easy to work it around, since you just need to select the desired values from the list, but it is annoying. This problem is also addressed in 1.0.005.

Thank you for using Koch trainer!

Bye,
Davide

IZ2UUF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:44:13 AM »

Also was able to use Wolphi's Morse decoder app to decode the lessons, just for fun.

Wow! I have to be sure that what is played back is accurate, because there are people double checking! :-)
Just kiddin' of course!

Bye,
Davide

K6DAK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 12:34:29 PM »

It's a great app, but how do you turn it off? The sound just keeps going.
I had to uninstall to get the sound to stop.

73  Dave
IZ2UUF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 11:28:31 AM »

It's a great app, but how do you turn it off? The sound just keeps going.
I had to uninstall to get the sound to stop.

Hello Dave.

The application had a bug that appeared when rotating the device: the screen went blank and CW kept playing in background with no mean to stop it.
I don't know if this is your case, but this bug has been resolved with version 1.0.007 that has been released today.
I would be very grateful to you if you could try version 1.0.007 on your device and confirm me this issue is solved.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Bye
Davide

N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 04:37:48 PM »

does it work on the I-PAD ?
K6DAK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:30:50 PM »

Davide, the update to 1.0.007 works perfectly.
The program stops when the red square button is pressed.

Thank you for a great app.

73 Dave  K6DAK
IZ2UUF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »

does it work on the I-PAD ?

No, sorry, it doesn't: it's an Android app and it works only on Android devices.

Davide

IZ2UUF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 11:51:42 PM »

Davide, the update to 1.0.007 works perfectly.
The program stops when the red square button is pressed.

Dave, thanks again for checking!

Davide

KW6CSS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 07:47:49 PM »

Just downloaded the new version.  Thanks for the start pause! 

Still a great program...

Thanks again for writing it Smiley
Mike
KJ4DQQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 01:03:32 PM »

An excellent learning tool. It works great on my HTC Rezound. Now I don't have an excuse for not practicing. Grin

Glenn
IZ2UUF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 03:14:08 PM »

Thank you all for your support!

I just released version 1.0.009 with a new experimental feature: now it is possible to set a fixed word length.
In this way, instead of training with an enlarged space between letters (Farnsworth method), we can try with groups of two, three or more letters played at full speed with the right spacing. Then, by enlarging the inter-word spacing, users still have a little time to think on the letters just heard.

Let me know your feedbacks.

73 de IZ2UUF - Davide

TPELLE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 01:14:28 PM »

I've looked on Google Play and am unable to find it. Can you provide a link? What's the actual name of the application?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: