Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Android: learn fast CW with Koch method  (Read 23957 times)
IZ2UUF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »

I've looked on Google Play and am unable to find it. Can you provide a link? What's the actual name of the application?

Hello TPELLE.

The exact name of the application is "IZ2UUF Morse Koch CW".
The link in Google Play is http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.iz2uuf.cwkoch

It might be that your device has an Android version too old (min. required is 2.2) and Google Play doesn't show the app to you because not compatible with your device. Let me know if this is the case and report me your Android version: I will try to see whether this app can be adapted to older APIs or not.

Bye
Davide
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:30:59 PM by IZ2UUF » Logged

Davide IZ2UUF - FISTS #16285 - SKCC #9531 - JN45nk
TPELLE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »

Thank you. I have it now. I have no idea why I couldn't find it, as the search did reveal other Morse training apps. I guess my Google-Functional is weak!
TPELLE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 06:04:39 AM »

Just an update, I have the app installed on my Toshiba Thrive 8mb Android tablet.  It's working great!  Pretty much the Android functional equivalent of the "Just Learn Morse Code" program I've been using on my Windows machine.
IZ2UUF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 07:13:09 AM »

Just an update, I have the app installed on my Toshiba Thrive 8mb Android tablet.  It's working great!  Pretty much the Android functional equivalent of the "Just Learn Morse Code" program I've been using on my Windows machine.

Hello TPELLE.

I'm glad it is working well. It might seem weird, but I've never heard of "Just Learn Morse Code" until now. The initial idea was to have a portable version of G4FON's program and the extra features came from from users input or my own self-feedback while using it.

Have a nice learning of CW!

73 de IZ2UUF

PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 07:49:55 AM »

Hello dear friends.

I have developed an Android application that implements the Koch training method, a very effective way to learn fast CW.
This is a statement, I desire to question.
How do you know that? Just as LEP is saying: you never know because you start not out with a blank memory.

Of course it is fine that you make an application, free for the Morse fraternity, and the wanabees, BUT realise that when you place a donkey between 2 heaps of hay, he is starving because he doesn't know and keeps hesitating which heap to select.

IZ2UUF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 08:17:25 AM »

Hello dear friends.

I have developed an Android application that implements the Koch training method, a very effective way to learn fast CW.
This is a statement, I desire to question.
How do you know that? Just as LEP is saying: you never know because you start not out with a blank memory.

Of course it is fine that you make an application, free for the Morse fraternity, and the wanabees, BUT realise that when you place a donkey between 2 heaps of hay, he is starving because he doesn't know and keeps hesitating which heap to select.

Hello PA0BLAH.

Take it this way: I started learning morse code using this Koch method and I can verify myself that, as exercising is going on, I am more and more able to copy CW at the speed I'm training. I also expect this method to work because it is based on general principles that seem obvious to me and worked for me in other different cases. Honestly, this is as far as I can go: my statistics are worth nothing, since they are based on one single case.
You can believe it works or not: I'm not in the position of argumenting its effectiveness more than I did in my previous lines.
The goal of this topic wasn't convincing anyone that the Koch method is valid, but just share the app I wrote for my own use with anyone that already decided to go for this method.
Anyway, the Android app is free and ad-free so I expect this to be worth my good faith.

73 de IZ2UUF

PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 08:19:10 AM »

OK Tom,

I have the feeling that the installation of a program on some overpaid tablet computer is not the problem, but YOU are the problem learning CW. YOU are retired, YOU have a life behind you, and YOU are planning to learn CW in 3 month, not the 4 years (in fact infinity because I expect that you will quit) I estimated.
For 40 characters, that means at the average nearly 4 characters each week, faster at start (the donkey has less to select from) slower at the end (the donkey has 41 heaps to select from).

So keep us informed about your progress.

Remember it is delightfully nice to communicate in some obsolete code, instead of just writing here and expressing your thoughts in a way you are used to do already, readable all over the world, even by me, in Europe. No QRM, no QRN, forum always open, no license required, and no BCI and TVI or quarrels with neighbors about ugly antenna constructions.

That (using obsolete code over the air is delightful)  is the opinion of the retired navy and military professionals, their job was transmitting and receiving coded code. nothing else, because that was the limit they could reach in their life, honored with a bunch of color coded resistor on their take home uniform.

They look eagerly for CW-newbees in order to demonstrate their only skill they acquired in their life.

So Tom, think about what you are planning to do.
It is always wise not to listen only to the advertising guys, but to balance your thoughts.

I am sure I am helping you with this message,  to perform that act.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 09:11:02 AM »

Hello PA0BLAH.

Take it this way: I started learning morse code using this Koch method and I can verify myself that, as exercising is going on,
73 de IZ2UUF

OK, Let's make a fact that I appreciate your effort without doubt.

But I wanted to emphasise that you only can learn Morse code, as a leisure time spending, when you REALLY WANT IT,
There are a lot of people that learn it easy. But the number of easy learning guys and gals is diminishing very fast with aging.

The guys that really want to learn it, just do it, they don't need any help. The guys that are presenting themself "Hi, here I am I want to learn Morse code" is the majority BS-group, just collecting some welcomes and advices and you never see them again, when you don't listen on the SSB section of the bands.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »

To PA0BLAH:

Why are you so negative about newcomers learning Morse Code?

Why the discouragement and the very long estimates of how much time it will take to learn?

Why not try to help?

One would think you don't want newcomers to even try.

73 de Jim, N2EY
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 04:28:37 PM »

To PA0BLAH:

Why are you so negative about newcomers learning Morse Code?

I said:
The guys that really want to learn it, just do it, they don't need any help. The guys that are presenting themself "Hi, here I am I want to learn Morse code" is the majority BS-group, just collecting some welcomes and advices and you never see them again, when you don't listen on the SSB section of the bands.

Few guys have the will power just as M0LEP  to perform this task, and nobody can be lucky when you try to believe them that they can perform it in 3 month, and find some example to "proof" it.

Why the discouragement and the very long estimates of how much time it will take to learn?

Why not try to help?

It is keeping your feet on earth, in order to prevent wasting time and disappointment due to failure.
When you think my estimates are out of the ball park try to get info from DJ1YFK, he has the statistics.

One would think you don't want newcomers to even try.

Everybody can try it, without wasting their and our time by announcing their plans, collecting 50 Hurrahs and  congrats and never seeing them back.

The guys that REALLY WANT TO LEARN THE CODE do it and are motivated by my talking. The bullshitters, roughly 95%, are probably saving time that should otherwise be wasted , so I do a pretty good job , I set them thinking in order to find out what they really want.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:53:02 PM by PA0BLAH » Logged
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 05:48:04 PM »

I think PA0BLAH is just trying to be realistic. Look at the various threads in this forum for a large Koch method training website  http://lcwo.net/forum/showall   . The amount of hardship and abject failure is staggering. In a CQ magazine editorial the president of FISTS, Nancy Kott tells about handing out thousands of cd's with a code program on them, then laments that she isn't hearing any new ops on the air. Here on E-Ham the reviews of Koch programs aren't full of people grateful for having learned the code with them, the glowing reports are from people who previously had passed a code test and then built speed with the method. Computer programs work great for speed building, but may just not be the best way to actually learn the characters. CW ops like myself that were never code tested are very rare. I sure would like to work some new guys. Very best of 73, de Tom AB9NZ http://radiotelegrapher.posterous.com/
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 06:14:02 PM »

While it is probably reasonable to assume that I don't hear much from people who give up learning Morse code, I have certainly heard from a lot of people that have succeeded.  They come from all walks of life, and their age varies from "He's in kindergarten" to "I was in World war II".

I'm sure a lot of people give up for any number of reasons, but I don't see how it is one bit useful to be as negative about it as PA0BLAH.

The same goes for the alleged negativity of the president of FISTS - what do you expect if you just hand out CDs to unmotivated individuals ?  My software has been distributed on more than 100,000 CDs.  That doesn't mean that 100,000 people will use it - but some will.  What's the problem with that ?

LB3KB Sigurd
justlearnmorsecode.com
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:17:16 PM by LB3KB » Logged
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 08:06:45 PM »

Sigurd, no disrespect was meant to you, Davide, Fabian, or Ray. I am grateful for, appreciate, use and enjoy these programs to great effect for speed building. I'm certainly not smart enough to write a program like one of these. However; I can count on two hands the new (not old timers returning) non-codetested hams I've worked on cw in the last five years.  I don't think it's unfair to recommend alternative methods of teaching Morse to those who seek the craft.
  I don't think PA0BLAH's "The Emperor Has No Clothes" sense of humor is scaring away any new ops. Actually it's kinda refreshing compared to everyone gushing over a guy that just learned the letters "K'" and "M".  Heck, it may even prod a few to get off their butts.
           Take very good care folks, de Tom AB9NZ http://radiotelegrapher.posterous.com/

LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 09:04:52 PM »

Tom,

I didn't perceive you, or anybody else, as disrespectful.  I do wonder how the negativity of some people is supposed to be helpful to anybody, though.

I am a firm believer in Koch's method, and I see how Farnsworth timing is useful to a lot of people as a learning aid.  However, there is nothing in my software that forces people to use those methods - the software can be set up for many different learning methods.  While I don't know the details of the other programs out there, I'm sure most of them can be adapted in similar ways.

What I have seen myself in recent years is that in spite of the code requirement being dropped in many countries, the bands have been boiling with CW activity even at the very long and flat bottom of the sun cycle.  How would anybody even start an attempt to figure out who is new and who is an oldtimer ?  Most people who succeed in learning Morse code are happily using their skills and don't have the need to brag about it online.

And while I've been listening to a lot of negativity about the sun cycle preventing anything from happening, I've been working a lot of great DX myself - even from the QRM/QRN hellhole I used to live in.  You can go straight from a meeting in your local HAM club, where you have listened to one after the other complaining about the lack of this and the lack of that, to your own shack and just turn that darned dial an work some great DX.

Whatever you look for, you will find.

LB3KB Sigurd
justlearnmorsecode.com
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 09:44:05 PM »

How would anybody even start an attempt to figure out who is new and who is an oldtimer ?
Here in the states you can get a pretty good idea from the call sequence or just talking to the op.
the software can be set up for many different learning methods
You bet! Just Learn Morse is very adaptable, but the alternative method I was thinking of is Code Quick. At the Wikipedia for Morse Code it says "In the United Kingdom many people learned the Morse code by means of a series of words or phrases that have the same rhythm as a Morse character. For instance, "Q" in Morse is dah - dah - di - dah, which can be memorized by the phrase "God save the Queen", and the Morse for "F" is di - di - dah - dit, which can be memorized as "Did she like it." Code Quick really worked well for me but is often knocked by people not acquainted with the method.
Whatever you look for, you will find.
Other than during the very worst of the solar storms I can always find a cw qso and that's a wonderful thing Smiley.
     73 de Tom AB9NZ
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: