Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What an Emabarassment last night on 14.270.  (Read 3699 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2012, 03:56:17 AM »

I was cruising through 20 meters last evening for any last RAC contest participants and I ran across a dozen or so "hams" on 14.275 and 14.280 who were just calling out their call sign non stop over and over and over.  There was almost never a pause or quiet spot as I would hear in the usual pile up and the convention of calling once or twice was dead.  I dialed down to 14.270 and found 1A0C calling from Malta.  After listening for a while I found that quite a few hams were calling right on frequency, even though 1A0C was clearly calling, virtually at the end of every QSL, that he was listening 5-10 up.  He was doing a very professional job of working through the pile up in spite of the very rude behavior.  And of course there was the yelling and cursing at those on the wrong frequency and the really disgusting calling of those in other zones even when he would call for zone 6 and 7 only.

I have never heard such a disgusting mess.  Sometimes our hobby has people who do things we can be proud of.  Sometimes not.

Sam
W9KDX
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:57:53 AM »

"I have never heard such a disgusting mess."

When did you buy your first receiver, a week ago?

Good to hear some spirited DXing. Bands are mostly dead.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 06:09:43 AM »

I've had my receiver(s) for a bunch of years, and would have to say it was pretty bad.  The Op was clearly stating "Up 5 to 10" and "Up 5 to 15", yet many, many didn't have a clue and apparently couldn't hear either.  The extra "discussion" on 14270 didn't help either.  Oh, well, nothing changes.
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 06:24:00 AM »

Every thing changes but stays the same. I really dont like the frequency cops. If a DX is saying 5 to 10 up then I go to 5 up and work my way up to 10 up trying to find an opening. I have not jumped into this mess yet but I am sure I will. I have also been told that I couldnt work a certain DX frequency because I was only a General when I had been upgraded for a month. Too many idiots and not enough time.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 08:19:48 AM »

You need to develop the proper "philosophy" to deal with these eternal messes. (drugs help too).

Without that garbage, and I'll admit it's infuriating, the pileup would be far bigger. Furthermore the frequency cops and tuners actually help those within their skip zones to work the DX. For example a carrier from a station 200 miles away from you won't be a problem for you, but it will be for others.

I remember in the 80s when GREAT rarities places like Albania, China, Burma first came on the air and everyone under 70-years old needed them. Pileups on ten meters could be 200 kHz wide! But even low power stations with dipoles could make it thru with patience... and a bit of Morse!

SMOM isn't a great rarity. Heck it's in downtown Rome. Was told it was across from the American Express office in Rome.  
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:23:52 AM by K0OD » Logged
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:16:23 AM »

100 kHz down would help (slightly).
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:13:53 AM »

"I have never heard such a disgusting mess."

When did you buy your first receiver, a week ago?

Good to hear some spirited DXing. Bands are mostly dead.

About 1960; thanks for asking.

Sam
W9KDX
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 12:38:27 PM »

found 1A0C calling from Malta

I presume 1A0C isn't in Malta, but rather the Sovereign Military Order of Malta palace in Rome. Last I heard, the SMOM had a population of TWO.  Its history is fascinating. It is a religion and a country and something out of the Mouse that Roared or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:43:16 PM by K0OD » Logged
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 06:03:09 PM »

Hey man, get used to it.  This is modern day ham radio with the AH's prevailing!
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 06:25:58 AM »

I didn't get a harumph outta that guy...

Wink
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 07:14:16 AM »

Sometimes our hobby has people who do things we can be proud of.  Sometimes not.

Yes, a bad pileup is infuriating and they were in 1960 too. Recognize that anyone who needs that scarce but not really rare SMOM on 20 isn't running a stack of Yagis and isn't likely to have had years of DXing experience. I wish we had more blundering rookies in our hobby as we had in 1960. (yeah I'm sure a couple of the SMOM callers were likely senile honor roll geezers).

Over the decades I've heard some remarkably pleasant pileups too. In one case the overwhelmed DX station announced that he would now only work stations who were using 100 watts or less. That didn't reduce the pileup size one bit, but I swear that EVERY loud caller dropped 10 dB.  I clicked off my amp. So did everyone else.  I still smile when I think of the honesty of that group.

KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 07:16:29 AM »

Problem is:

SMOM was trying to operate in the CESSPOOL
area of 20m. Just a BAD decision on their part.
It happens !
N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 08:36:55 AM »

Don't really understand the problem with having frequency cops, if I understand the term.

I'd say a significant percentage of the time the DX fails to inform of split with adequate frequency. The cops who say he's working up do me a favor.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »

Over the decades I've heard some remarkably pleasant pileups too. In one case the overwhelmed DX station announced that he would now only work stations who were using 100 watts or less. That didn't reduce the pileup size one bit, but I swear that EVERY loud caller dropped 10 dB.  I clicked off my amp. So did everyone else.  I still smile when I think of the honesty of that group.

There are lots of good guys out there.  I hear DX pileups every now and then in which the DX operator will call for "mobiles only" or "QRP only" -- a few months ago I heard one op ask for only stations with wire antennas to call him, which I thought was darned nice.  (Though I was mobile at the time, so it didn't do me any good.)  :-)   
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »

Funniest pileup variation was a French op in a very rare nation in west Africa who became enraged by the unruly pileup. He announced that: 1) he was QSYing about 20 KHz; 2) he would only work NA stations in French!

You have never heard so much atrocious French spoken outside the first week of French 101 class.  It WAS remarkably effective and fun. Seems not many of the "Tobacco Road" boys know French.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: