Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Universal 9-50 Tower Raising  (Read 1907 times)
N8HO

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2012, 06:46:29 AM »

I am considering purchasing a Universal 9-50 aluminum tower.  I have seen conflicting information regarding "how easy" it is to walk one of these towers up.  I will have a A3S tri-bander, Ham IV rotor and a short mast mounted on the tower prior to hinging up.  Can it be done and how many people does it usually take.
W3DDF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:09:48 AM »

I just completed an installation of a Universal 12-40 tower. The tower is light in weight but walking it up can be a chore unless you have several assistants. I hired a local tower installer and it was just him and myself that erected the tower and I am not that particularly strong either. I was concerned on how the tower would be raised but he assured me that it can be done with the two of us. We assembled the tower on the ground and then placed a 6' step ladder under it around just enough to be able to install the Hygain TH3 beam. The rotor was installed and all the cables were dressed up nicely down one tower leg.  What he did was to use a section of Rohn 25G with a base mounting plate. He used two heavy duty come alongs as guy wires attached to two legs of the 25G.  He mounted a pulley at the top of the 25G and used another come along attached to the bottom of the 25G, through the pulley then attached to the Universal tower about mid way up.  As he lifted the tower I cranked on the come along to take up the slack. It went up very nicely. My tower with antenna and rotor is probably only about 150 lbs but still it seemed a lot heavier when both of us were trying to walk it up.   I would like to make some type of tower raising fixture to be able to lower the tower for antenna repair work. 
K5KNE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 03:12:56 PM »

I don't know what your financial situation is, but I have a Heights Tower that I really like.  It is aluminum and is 80' tall. It fold over with a gearmotor.  Check out Heights Towers on internet.  I am old and can't climb or do much work anymore, so the foldover tower is really nice when I want to change something about my antennas.

Walter  K5KNE
WB0U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »

I tilted up a 9-60 tower using three people.  The rope went over a single story house.  One person on the ground to start walking up the tower.  One person on the roof to keep the rope from damaging shingles.  Once the tower was vertical, I climbed the tower and used a gin pole to lift the tribander to the top.

Be aware that Universal specs their wind load ratings based on the material yield strength.   Rohn uses material yield strength divided by a 1.5 safety factor.   

The tower top section was designed for typical TV antenna sized masts.  Verify that your mast will fit thru the top of the tower.  I remember having to purchase a smaller diameter mast. The mast clamp plate on the Ham 4 rotor also had to be flipped 180 degrees to make it work with the smaller diameter mast. 

I had issues with the plastic in the A3 element to boom clamps cracking (-20 F Minnesota winters) and the reflector element rotating around the boom. This has been fixed by going to an all metal clamp.  Good to see a manufacturer improve their product.   

73,  Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: