Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Op question (long)  (Read 625 times)
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 07:22:31 PM »

Two really good and experienced CW ops using QSK, one can send a single dit while the other is transmitting and get a rpt of the last bit of info sent.  That was the old days.  Likely came from more commercial ops with ham tickets I think.  

That advice to send a long dash comes from bug keying, with keyer try sending a string of dashes, you just might be surprised how many ops will be able to hear it today.  If nothing else they will stop, thinking it is some lid tunin' up on 'em.  

KB3NXF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 07:29:28 PM »

Thanks to all of you for the excellent suggestions.   This is probably the first time on ANY forum that I have had all my questions answered without a major thread hijack.  I'm impressed as well as grateful.

I'll keep your advice in mind for the next time.  I'm trying to do things correctly and this lesson will help.

73 de Tim
Seeking to conduct amateur operations like a professional
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 08:38:34 AM »

"another station started QRM"

Do you have a sharp filter in your rig? If not, you need one.

"the phone rang"

Let the answering machine get it.

"the doorbell rang (my daughter without her keys)"

I don't know how old she is, but if she's old enough to have keys she's old enough to either learn to remember them or learn to wait. IMHO, anyway. Or leave the door unlocked if you can.

"the dogs started barking"

Headphones and a closed door to the shack.

"I had to let my daughter in, etc."

See above.

One big challenge to Amateur Radio today is the need for *uninterrupted* operating time. One's family has to be trained to know that when you are not to be interrupted for non-emergencies when on the air.

All that said, sometimes there are unavoidable interruptions. Lost QSOs are not a real problem;
they happen for all sorts of reasons ranging from
propagation to power failure to QWC.

The QSO counts for awards if you can get the other station to QSL. I log all HF operation, even unanswered calls and CQs, because a complete record can come in handy at times.

Congrats on your use of CW and keep it up. With practice you can develop the skills to copy right through QRM, barking dogs, ringing phones and while answering the door and telling your daughter to remember her keys next time.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: