Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just moved to a condo with an HOA  (Read 17024 times)
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 10:54:39 AM »

Further if the CC&R give the HOA the ability to set property aesthetics standards, an HOA can change the rules any time their architetural/aesthetics committee determines that a modification is necessary and desirable. HOAs are quite often not limited to the rules written in the CC&R or even in their current by-laws.

Living with an HOA is like playing Russian Roulette; how luck do you feel?

KF7CG
AC7DX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 08:43:41 PM »

I have lived in a condo for 12 years. I have a remote set up so I dont have to kiss azz with the HOA. I wish you good dx my friend
Very 73
Ron
AC7DX
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 08:34:48 AM »

I have lived in a condo for 15 years. I took my Ham class over 40 years ago. I passed my Technician and General in January and February, respectively. I've been waiting a while to get on the air.

It is nice that you have the resources/opportunity to have a remote station. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one that doesn't.  Ah, well. Necessity. Mother. Invention :-) What I do have is a 30' wire, half running under the eaves of the front porch and half tacked to the outside wall, about 8' up. It is virtually invisible.I first tried mounting a hamstick to a pipe pounded into the ground just outside my window. It was a little intrusion for me, but I didn't get any complaints.

Between the 2 I have made over 160 contacts in the US, Europe and Asia. Just hit Mexico City with a 59 while typing this :-)

I'm also considering getting a loop from MFJ and mounting it under the stairs out front. This is designated as storage area for the downstairs units.

Hopefully, if we Hams act responsibly we'll be able to happily (more or less) coexist with our non-Ham neighbors.

Rick KK4GGL
GM0SIM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 02:11:16 PM »

Fortunately I've got few antenna restrictions at the home QTH (except XYL ones) but some experience I have gained may be useful. In the Helensburgh Amateur radio club we met in the basement of a nursing home and didnt have easy access to running feeders outside. Now "best practice" for QRP is as big an aerial as possible, as high as possible, as clear of noise as possible so what did we have?... we had a small home made mag loop... with a capacitor that flashed over at anything more than 20 watts, the antenna was mounted hanging from a piece of string from the ceiling (outside ground height was about shoulder level in the shack so the bottom half of the small loop would actually be below ground level). Also going through the shack were copper water, and gas pipes, mains wiring, nurse call wiring etc, oh and the walls were 2foot thick sandstone... ie we were doing EVERYTHING wrong, but we still got out as far as Lithuania. Yes everyone else would be contacting DX but we still had a smile on our faces for achieving things in such "impossible" circumstances. This was what started my love affair with mag-loops. I do not say they are an efficient antenna or even a good antenna (when you have other options) but they can be a great compromise antenna when nothing else is available. I have also used them sucessfully hanging from curtain rails in hotels (hotel restrictions?... sorry forgot to ask!). I have similar problems with my car... contract hire so they dont like holes in it or even decent cables to the battery... it's got one of these infernal CanBus syetems in it so it doesnt like RF anywhere near it and I park it in a low ceiling underground car park every day so stopping twice each day just outside to put antennas on/take them off a hatch mount is too much effort for me.... again seemingly insurmounable problems but never say die. The car obviously has windows and has a a large glass sun roof so you will be surprised how much RF leaks in. I have had the mag loop strung across the car just behind the front seats suspended by bungees from the rear coat hooks above the back doors. RX only but I have been listening to stateside and even as far as VK (stranegely no ZL). 14MHz, good conditions only and everyone else with "real" antennas would have been doing MUCH better than me but still a hoot. Again doing everything wrong but it is surprising what "rubbish" will still work when conditions are good. Not being allowed stacked and bayed rhombics & 2kW isnt necessarily the end of the world. If you really want inspriation about operating with problematic authorities try reading some of the technical WW2 french resistance memoirs and their techniques (although plastering antennas into walls is probably a bit extreme these days... but I loved the ideas about temporarily gamma matching existing lightning protection wires or even metal street lamps).

NEVER SAY DIE

Talking of restrictions when I went on one cruise I did take a soldering iron & built a kit during the sea days. I DID read their restrictions beforehand and strangely although they specifically banned clothes irons in the cabins they had no direct prohibitions mentioned for soldering irons (or Cement mixers or chainsaws!).
N0NZG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 08:59:10 PM »

Well, it just had to happen. Last week I got a letter from the HOA that said since I put up my antenna. There had been a LOT of complaints about poor TV and radio reception.
My reply to their letter was 2 pages long and full of details regarding my station, the nature of radio propagation and interference and my willingness to help any HOA members resolve interference issues regardless of the source. I took a 2  prong approach. The first was the letter, this documents every detail of the situation incase the HOA attorney has to get involved. The Second  was a face to face meeting with the board members to win the hearts and minds. I also stated the fact that, I foresaw this issue arising and as a precaution I have not even connected a feed line to the antenna yet. I am 100% sure the perceived interference was not caused by my radio to their TV or radio.  The HOA could or would not produce any details of the alleged interference or even go so far as to tell me what day it was on. I am pretty sure the claim is due to the fact that my antenna causes some interference or disruption in the Thz range of the electromagnetic spectrum and has nothing to do with TV or radios.  After following my letter up with a brief visit from several board members to see my antenna for themselves, I am happy to say that Ham Radio lives on in the condo complex.   

YA, NEVER SAY DIE !!!!! Great advise.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:01:41 PM by N0NZG » Logged
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 08:40:15 AM »

Just goes to show that not all situations dealing with the HOA NAZIs is a loosing battle. Glad to hear you're still in there and working. BTW have you actually hooked up the Hustler vertical or is it still a decoy antenna? It amazes me of the stupidity (and GALL) of some people who will blantently stand there and lie to your face that your ham station is the bain and source of ALL their electronics problems REGARDLESS of whether you're even transmitting or not. Just the mere sight of an antenna is reason enough to send them into convulsions of anger about you messing up this or that. When confronted with hard and fast proof that it is impossible that you could be the source of their problems, they just don't want to hear it. I never knew there were so many PhD candidates for a degree in RF Theory and Communications as there appear to be in and around a HOA and CC&R controlled environment.

I wish you continued success in dealing with your HOA. Sounds like you've found a magic method to appease them. You might consider to try getting yourself onto the HOA board to help control future RF / antenna issues and their resultant affects.

I hope your wife is doing well and recovering to a healthy life again. My wife is battling issues with her thyroid, having had the right side of the thyroid removed last year and now the left is acting up. I know it can be a emotional rollercoaster dealing with the medical world.

73 my friend,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N0NZG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »

Thanks, The wife is back home and doing much better for now.

I got radials put out over the weekend.  I also put up a stealth inverted vee right after I moved in, but even with the visits from the HOA board no one even noticed it.  I had been using the inverted vee as a RX antenna. I have been so busy with work, unpacking, the wife’s health and having my son for the summer  I have not had much time for radio.  Now the son has gone back to his mom’s house and work is slacking off so now I have the time for more radio stuff.  I need to get the Hustler going  and I want to build a Bitx 20a transceiver over the winter. I tried to go fishing last weekend and for the first time in my life it was too hot to fish. That must mean it's time to stay inside the AC and play radio.

Thanks again for the support.   73,

Jeremy
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:07:41 PM by N0NZG » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: