Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: homebrew quads and delta loop arrays for HF  (Read 1480 times)
KU7I

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »

I have built around six rotatable hf quads and delta loop arrays in the past 20 years. One that I built about ten years ago was constructed from parts obtained exclusively from Home Depot except for the boom. I made the spreaders out of aluminum tubing that they used to sell. Not sure if they still sell it but I also learned that Lowe's and Home Depot carry virtually the same exact inventory of "stuff", most of it the same manufacturer. The spreaders were a combo of this aluminum tubing and pvc.

I have a bunch of pics of the last one I built which was a three element rotable delta loop parasitic array for 20-17 and 15 meters. Each driver was fed with 300 ohm tv type twin lead and had a dedicated Heathkit SA-2040 2kw tuner inside the shack. It was a blast to build and learn from. If I could find a way to put the pics somewhere on the internet it would be cool or if someone here can store them I can provide the pics. I have a bunch...maybe 30 in total and the pics give a lot of detail. Also, I found the quad/delta loops to be a bit quieter on receive, sometimes by several s units depending on the type of noise. Lane Ku7i
K3ANG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »

There are many antenna-focused Yahoo groups you could join and then post them there.  The ones I've joined are Amateur_Radio, Antenna_Builders, Ham-Antennas, HamRadioAntennas, LoopAntennas and SkyWires.  All of them have areas to post your work and/or picture(s) you have to share with the group(s) you join.  Another way would be to build your own website.  I believe you can build a URL for free in Google.  Some folks have.  I searched https://sites.google.com/?pli=1 and found some ham sites there.  I'm sure there are other places on the Net for free URLs too.  I just don't know of any other than Google.
BTW, I'm researching deltas.  I want to build one for 10 and point it towards the countries of the western Pacific Ocean
I hope I was of some help.
73 & GL

Greg   K3ANG
KU7I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 11:24:10 PM »

yes Greg you were helpful. Also all of my delta loop arrays were apex up for simplicity. I may try apex down in the future but apex up is just so easy to build. GL with your project.
I will look at Google.

Lane
Ku7i
K3ANG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:36:08 AM »

Building a webpage can be a daunting task, even for the initiated.  I'm a retired main-frame programmer (35 years) but I was trained to build project-related web pages that were used within my employer's LANs only.  It's called INTRANET (vs INTERNET), but the work is still the same.  The 'trick' is to organize the page the way you (in my case, my boss) want it to appear, getting the the verbage the way you want it, with figure and picture descriptions worded and inserted correctly.  If you really decide to build a webpage, there will be MANY starts and stops.  The first 'few' will take time to get them right the 'first' time.  You're learning the page building software as well as getting the page together the way you want it.  That's why I joined the groups.  I can post my work there in a folder without having to stress myself over building a webpage.  It was just easier.  You don't have to be active within the group.  I visit them for updates (in FILES and PICTURES), read the messages and gather information for 'down the road."   FWIW.  Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: