Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: call cq but no replies  (Read 827 times)
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 01:05:31 PM »

Hang in there my friend.  It can be intimidating at first, but the more you do it, the better it will get and the more satisfying it will become.  Worry more about sending readable, rhythmic code than worrying about how fast you are sending.  At least you're trying, and you will get the respect of everyone here for that!
KB1OOO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 06:16:20 AM »

KD4VSI, another good way to practice QSOs is to use CWIRC.  It's a plugin for xchat that lets you do cw online via irc channels.  You need linux or OS X.  Low traffic there but I'd be happy to set up a sked with you.  Check it out at http://users.skynet.be/ppc/cwirc/

The irc channel is #cw at irc.freenode.net  News feed are also broadcast which are great for copy practice.

Marc
AC2C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 10:37:43 AM »

All I can add is more encouragement -- You've already received some excellent advice.

Both FISTS and SKCC have calling frequencies on each band -- all monitored by people who want to have CW conversations and who want to help out newcomers.

I remember my first few days as a Novice back in the mid-60's.  In those days the FCC required a log for every activity.  I literally went two to three pages of "called CQ, no response".  When responses started coming back, they continued.

Hang in there -- If I hear you calling CQ, I'll respond at 10 wpm.

Ron, AC2C
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 10:07:36 AM »

Hey guy,

Perhaps the fault lies in your station.

("I've made local contacts w/ 100W of SSB".) That doesn't indicate that your signal radiates well.

What sort of antenna, feed line, tuner, etc are you using? Is is grounded?

With a tuner you could have an absolutely horrible antenna set-up and still see 100W out and a reasonable SWR, but not be radiating much signal at all.

If your calls have not gotten many replies, your set up, rather than your code skills, may be at fault.

73 de Donald
KD4VSI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 12:15:48 PM »

I made my first contact yesterday....sort of. I tuned to 14.060, listened for a minute, sent a qrl, listened for a little more, and then called cq. I honestly didn't expect a response, so I was completely taken by surprise when KA0YXX answered. I froze. In the blink of an eye I had forgotten every code character I had ever learned. I struggled to remember the letters R,S, and T. It was all I could do to remember the numbers 5, 3, and 9. In an effort to match our frequencies, I think I tuned away from him without realizing why I couldn't hear him anymore. The partial contact lasted for a minute maybe, but it felt more like 45. When I got up from my chair, I noticed that I was covered in sweat. Wow! I'm hooked. Even though  I didn't get a signal report from him, I logged it anyway in my old fashioned ARRL paper logbook. Thanks for the help everybody. I now have  two cw operators that I have met via 2 meters that are willing to practice code with me. Thanks again!
VE3XDB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 03:31:21 PM »

Joel,

Most evenings between 9:00 and 11:00, I'm on the radio, and TN is usually an easy shot on 40 meters.  Lately, the MUF has been low, and 10 meters has been pretty much a daytime band.  

Just send me an email and we can give it a shot.

Doug VE3XDB

VE3XDB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 03:34:54 PM »

Oops, I meant 30 metres.  40 and 80 are best in the evening, right now, although conditions have been quite dismal.  

Doug VE3XDB
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: