Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of curiosity....  (Read 1195 times)
AJ3O

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:17:25 PM »

Has anyone ever used a Hygain TH7DX on 12 and 17M for 100 watts or less using a tuner?

I know, should not be done, just looking for replies from anyone that may have done this.

Thanks in advance and 873,

Joe / AJ3O.
K5KNE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 07:29:24 PM »

I would not use an antenna tuner and a beam for other bands.  It will work some, but not right.  The antenna tuner only fools the transmitter to thinking it has a good antenna for the frequency being transmitted.  The elements on the beam are for certain bands and the spacing is to reinforce the beam effect. 

Walter  K5KNE
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »

That was a very quick reply and exactly what I expected. No problem, I just may have to set up two separate antennas. Hi hi

Joe / AJ3O
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »

I have used a TA33 with no problems, doesn't work as well as a dedicated beam but works. I use my 20/15/10 2 element quad on 17 & 12 with great results, I use a MFJ998 after the amp and run full legal power with the quad with no problems and very good results. I have had no problems breaking the latest DXPeditions on 17 & 12 with it.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 04:45:36 AM »

Has anyone ever used a Hygain TH7DX on 12 and 17M for 100 watts or less using a tuner?
I know, should not be done, just looking for replies from anyone that may have done this. Thanks in advance and 73, Joe / AJ3O.

There is NO gain (over the standard reference dipole) in this type of arrangement.  The antenna will radiate and if propagation is decent you may even make a number of contacts.  Heed K5KNE's post.  A simple mono-dipole (inverted vee) running off the tower has the benefit of better match and better gain than this arrangement.  Want both 12M and 17M with a single piece of wire, then get an Unadilla trap and make a two band dipole; you'll have better results.  GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT

KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 04:20:29 AM »

Also using Unadilla traps, you can make a 5/8 wave vertical for those bands. 5/8 wave gives you gain and a lower angle of radiation for DX....That magic 16 degrees.

Here is a calculator for determining wire length:
http://www.qsl.net/w4sat/five8th.htm

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: