Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 4244 times)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »

I've had pretty good luck with HT lines, unless I'm mobile and right under them (within a few hundred feet).

The big substation lines running only 1/2 mile or so from me don't generate any noise I can hear on anything.  I've had much more noise from local sodium vapor lamps, fish tank heaters, plasma TVs and other homeowner stuff.
NY4FD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 05:36:49 PM »

Try a mag loop, they have very narrow bandwidth and act like a filter. A bit pricey but compared to a dipole hear way better and talk almost as well.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 07:38:14 PM »

Mike

I looked you up and found your neighborhood on Google Maps.  I'm not unfamiliar with the area. 

IMHO you might or might not have a noise problem from those high tension power lines to the north of you, but you're GOING to have noise sources called homes from all around you, plus your own house, much closer.

LOTS of hams live in WAY more urbanized areas than you do and have NO problem operating.  It's all about the antennas.  Yes, some rigs may have noise performance differences from others, but ...

What's your antenna budget?  What are you willing / able to put up?

Hams helping other hams tiptoe around that question, trying to be politically correct, but really it's THE determinant factor in much of your radio hobby.  With skill and experience, a seasoned ham can make a couple of old pieces of wire sing a symphony, but the new guy with a low sloper gets the WAN award (worked all neighbors).

See if you can find a rig that has a separate RX input.

Just some random thoughts.

73 gl es welcome 

Steve
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »

Hi I recently got my general ticket and shopping for a rig.
What would you do?
Buy the less expensive rig.
Buy and read antenna books. Most any year,
the theory doesn't change.
Use the balance of that "rig money" to start
an "Antenna Fund".

Get the dipole up for now and get on the air.
Concentrate on learning good operating skills.
This is just practice and lots of QSO's.
Learn CW.

Remember, a really good operator with mediocre gear
will do MUCH better than and a mediocre operator
with excellent gear.

Good Luck es 73, Ken  AD6KA
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »

The reason why I have hesitated with the 950 is mainly because of the high power lines.   I am probably no more than a few hundred yards from the multi thousand volt lines.  I understand the kenwood employs the most sophisticated noise canceling technology but comes at a cost.  I went with the dipole over a verticle due to the nature of high noise with the verticle.  I ended up getting an alpha delta dxee.  I have everything ready for a rig but torn between the kenwood and yaesu.  I like the cost of a used yaesu or icom 756 pro ii.  I guess I'm looking for the advice if whether or not the price increase for the kenwood would be justified based on noise concern I have.  I know there is noise because i can hear the noise by tuning to commercial AM stations.  Not all stations and not at my home but if I drive up the block or around the block I get the noise.

Thanks for the adivce!

I have 27,500 volt lines about 15 feet above one end of my 80 meter dipole. At the back of the lot I have 4,500 volt lines about 15 feet above the other leg of the 80 meter dipole.

I own and have operated a FT-950 for the past two years. I actually do not get any noise off those power lines in front and back of my house. I do get some line noise from some lines that are across the street and run between the back to back lots there.

Not too many noise blankers will help you with line noise. Oh sure they will help a little but don't hold your breath.

The Noise Reduction in the FT-950 will help some what, if you know how to properly adjust it.

Your best bet is to add a noise cancelling unit to your station if you find the noise is that bad. Have you actually had a radio hooked up to your dipole to see if you have the noise or are you just figuring you will have it.

I find that high power lines are usually maintained well, it is the lower voltage lines that have bad grounds, cracked insulators etc.

I can vouch for the FT-950, I like it. Otherwise it would not still be in my shack.
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 08:31:57 AM »

Thanks for the feedback - Im still torn between units - now I may want something smaller in footprint like a IC7000.

I have read through the antenna book and understand the PROs and Cons of just about all the various options (seems to be a default response on these forums when questions are asked).  I have settled on a dipole in an inverted V for now - later on maybe a mini beam or Mag Loop or Hex Beam (best and most expensive option).  I love the Mag loop concept actually from what I have read so far... small, compact, low ground loss, NVIS.. etc.  I know it has its challenges with bandwidth but I believe I can deal with that...   I  dont see any verticals in my near future but its all up in the air until I get on the air...     

One of my buddies will loan me a SB104 - That should be a good test with my simple dipole - and should dictate how much of a unit I need to block out any noise and what future antenna will or will not work. 

Mike
KD2CJJ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: