Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW, eQSL and DXCC  (Read 5487 times)
REMOVED_USER-NOT_W_7_P_L_V

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »

Hello,

I have several DXCC countries confirmed on eQSL that I dont not have comfirmed on LoTW. Since I apply for all DXCC awards and endorsments through LoTW, is it possible for me to print out the eQSL's and mail them to LoTW for credit? If so, will my LoTW totals reflect the cards sent in by mail?

Thanks
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 05:53:41 PM »

No, you cannot do that. The DX station must upload their logs to LoTW. DXCC does not accept eQSL at all.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »

Thanks, thats what I was guessing. Now how do we get more DX stations to use LoTW.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »

is it possible for me to print out the eQSL's and mail them to LoTW for credit?

You can but with one stipulation. DXCC only accepts one method of using eQSLs - Print out the eQSL card(s) and get the station who you worked to sign it (them). Of course, if you do that you may as well just send for one of their real QSL cards.

Simply printing out the eQSLs is not acceptable. Yes, they know people try to do that and they bounce them.

If so, will my LoTW totals reflect the cards sent in by mail?

Thanks

Yes, your entire DXCC record is in your LoTW account.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »

From the ARRL regarding signing an Eqsl "card";

Also, we expect to be able to identify cards as authentic. Many cards are printed on home printers, and, in many cases, the data is printed on card stock at the same time. Although this is technically acceptable, the process often makes verification difficult. In certain cases we may reject these cards. Cards should be personalized or otherwise made unique through the use of a stamp or other personal mark (signature or initials) across a label boundary.

You are probably not going to work anything so rare that your only option would be to use even a signed Eqsl card, or even close to rare for that matter. Garden variety DX is pretty easy to work with even meager antennas. Just work a couple more of whatever entity it was and be patient for an LOTW confirmation or a real card. It's the journey, not the destination.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »

Also, we expect to be able to identify cards as authentic. Many cards are printed on home printers, and, in many cases, the data is printed on card stock at the same time. Although this is technically acceptable, the process often makes verification difficult. In certain cases we may reject these cards. Cards should be personalized or otherwise made unique through the use of a stamp or other personal mark (signature or initials) across a label boundary.

You are probably not going to work anything so rare that your only option would be to use even a signed Eqsl card, or even close to rare for that matter. Garden variety DX is pretty easy to work with even meager antennas. Just work a couple more of whatever entity it was and be patient for an LOTW confirmation or a real card. It's the journey, not the destination.

I'm reading this as thay will accept some "garden variety" eQSL's printed from a printer but will usually reject the more rare and hard to get ones. None of the ones I want to submit are rare. Mostly just band fillers.
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »

I'm reading this as thay will accept some "garden variety" eQSL's printed from a printer but will usually reject the more rare and hard to get ones. None of the ones I want to submit are rare. Mostly just band fillers.

No, that is not correct. What that is saying is that if you work a not rare country enough times, you will eventually have it confirmed in LoTW.

There are few rare ones that do not use LoTW and you will have to submit a paper card for. An example is 3C0E.
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 06:34:29 AM »

No, they won't. From the link below:

" For its awards, the ARRL does not accept electronically transmitted QSLs that are printed by the recipient."

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/DXCC/eQSL%20Policy2010.pdf

What they are referring to is, if the dx prints qsl cards on their home printer with qso info also printed, they want something else on the card to prove the op sending it in for credit didn't print it out them self.

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 07:07:23 AM »

Tried eQSL years ago, and when I got requests to confirm QSOs which I never worked, I stopped and signed up for LOTW.
Gene AF3Y

(Found this post below on this very forum, from years ago. Still makes sense to me):

"The only reason necessary to not use eQSL is that eQSL isn't accepted for DXCC unless you print the QSL and send it to the issuer for him or her to sign it. The issuer might just as well send you an ordinary QSL then.

DXCC has always been THE AWARD for award hunters so no matter what other awards eQSL is good for, as long as it is not good for DXCC, it will not attract the majority of user's.

ARRL decides the rules for DXCC. If you chase DXCC you have to stick to the rules, period.

Besides all other things, not everyone has a high quality ink jet printer or color laser printer and a computer to print good looking QSLs with.

ARRL Logbook of The World is the only alternative for DXCC hunters."
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »

Like others mentioned, you'll have to get actual qsl cards from the stations that have not uploaded their contacts into LOTW.  Printing eqsls out and having the station sign them may or may not be valid in the eyes of the arrl dxcc team.  It's the same level of effort as qsling direct with sae+irc or green stamps which is what I'm doing with non-LOTW participants.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 08:12:54 PM »

Forget eQSL. As soon as LoTW has WPE and WAZ awards, it will start steamrolling.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 10:02:06 PM »

Forget eQSL. As soon as LoTW has WPE and WAZ awards, it will start steamrolling.

I don't share your optimism in that regard. Remember that eQSL confirmations ARE accepted for WAZ. Having them added to LoTW will be a wonderful convenience but hardly a game changer. Serious award chasers are already set up on LoTW for the most part and if they're not, adding WAZ to it probably won't make much difference to them since there's already a perfectly valid electronic verification in place for them. I just submitted 8 eQSL confirmations towards my 5B WAZ (along with 22 paper cards) and it worked perfectly.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 06:16:52 AM »

I agree that any serious DXer should be using both systems but I want to encourage people to use LoTW. Some DX hams are turned off by the LoTW user verification process when in reality it is not more effort than mailing off a QSL card.

eQSL is OK for the CQ awards but I had some problems with submitting large numbers of QSOs for the WPX award. Unfortunately there's no easy way to break it up in chunks to make it easier on the system. As a result the last time I did a CQ award submission I got a 500 error twice. Apparently the system submitted QSOs and then the script timed out. So doing it a few times moved the QSOs along. There really has to be a more elegant way to do this. LoTW doesn't have this problem.

LoTW launched WPX this month by the way. CQ DX and WAZ will be coming online sometime thereafter. I believe USA-CA will be coming online but I think you can already print out your confirmations and use those for USA-CA.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »

I agree that any serious DXer should be using both systems but I want to encourage people to use LoTW. Some DX hams are turned off by the LoTW user verification process when in reality it is not more effort than mailing off a QSL card.

I have heard this before. Mine was so uneventful, that I do not even recall it. I just seemed to do it right and it worked. From that point on, it has been a dream.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 10:49:38 PM »

I have heard this before. Mine was so uneventful, that I do not even recall it. I just seemed to do it right and it worked. From that point on, it has been a dream.

Same with me. If you follow the directions, getting started and using LOTW is straight forward and simple

Don KF7DS
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: