Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Executive Order involving communications.  (Read 6250 times)
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2012, 04:20:15 AM »

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/07/06/executive-order-assignment-national-security-and-emergency-preparedness-

It appears this would also apply to hams. What do you think?
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 11:37:19 AM »

YOU READ ALL OF THAT???
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:35:49 PM »

It did strike me that it might be useful for hitting an HOA with........But then, over here, we have different ways ( just as, if not more, effective than the US - we have the EU as well!) of the government screwing the population.
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 02:03:26 PM »

YOU READ ALL OF THAT???

Yeah, I'm nerdy that way, lol. The part that caught my eye was this:

Sec. 2.2. The Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) shall: (a) issue an annual memorandum to the NS/EP Communications Executive Committee (established in section 3 of this order) highlighting national priorities for Executive Committee analyses, studies, research, and development regarding NS/EP communications;

(b) advise the President on the prioritization of radio spectrum and wired communications that support NS/EP functions;
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »

I did not see any mention of the amateur radio service.
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »

I did not see any mention of the amateur radio service.

Well, "radio spectrum" is all inclusive, no?
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 06:14:39 PM »

This is an Executive Order Power Grab, just in case Martial Law needs to be invoked to override the election. It is intentionally ambiguous, like all orders of this type, to hide its true intent in the open. You are smart guys. You should be able to figure it out!  Grin
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:16:25 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 08:36:07 PM »

This is an Executive Order Power Grab, just in case Martial Law needs to be invoked to override the election. It is intentionally ambiguous, like all orders of this type, to hide its true intent in the open. You are smart guys. You should be able to figure it out!  
Guy,

You must not have read ALL the details, but decided this was a good rant topic, or make some cloaked political statement.

THE FINE PRINT.  This started with Executive Order 12333 of December 4, 1981 and EO 12382 of September 13, 1982 by Pres. Ronald Reagan.  I bet you did not know that !!
http://www.ncs.gov/library/policy_docs/eo_12382.html

It was amended by George W. Bush with EO 13286 on February 28, 2003, after 9/11 attacks and creation of Department of Homeland Security.  Some functions were transferred to Homeland Security.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2003-03-05/pdf/03-5343.pdf

Did you see where this Reagan provision was extended to Sept. 30, 2013 ??
That is for continuitation of our security to next federal fiscal year (well after federal elections).
Some of the other sections are updates, from 30 years ago (changes in department names, responsibilities by officials, FCC, etc.).

Boring paperwork is required from every public servant, for vigilence and to keep everything running.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:42:41 PM by W9GB » Logged
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »

Gregory,

Since when is stating the obvious a political rant? Did I make a comment about a particular President or election? I am not the one that brought the topic up or that got defensive about it.  Wink
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:09:23 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 07:19:11 AM »

Martial Law 
Wasn't he on Gunsmoke? 
Isn't he related to Jude Law? 
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »

Here's an extract from Computerworld.com on the topic - [emphasis mine]

The problem with the Executive Order is that it also grants the DHS new authority to seize private communication facilities when necessary and to effectively shut down or limit civilian communications in a national crisis, said the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC).

Amie Stepanovich, associate litigation council at EPIC pointed to a one-sentence provision in the order [Sec. 5.2 (e)] that directs the secretary of DHS to develop measures for ensuring that commercial and privately-owned communications resources are available for government use when appropriate.

The provision is troubling because it basically gives DHS new authority over private communication networks in emergency situations, she said. A takeover of private networks for government communications purposes during a crisis could degrade or severely compromise the civilian population's ability to communicate in an emergency, she maintained.

"This specific authority is something that should have been granted through Congress," rather than through executive order, Stepanovich noted.

Although the EO is ostensibly intended to provide for & facilitate emergency communications, something like this has great potential for misuse.  I wouldn't expect to see governmental "jack-booted thugs" kicking in hamshack doors, but this certainly could provide an interpretation permitting exactly that.

The policy-makers haven't been blind to the effects of technology & how it's enabling people to bypass governmental oversight of their communications and spread information that those in charge would prefer not to be disseminated - look at the effects of cell phones, Twitter, YouTube, etc. in the Arab Spring revolutions.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »

the FCC has sweeping powers since 1934 to shut down, redirect, reallocate, and otherwise mung up your radio life already.  this is redundant legislation.

when Son #3 owned a bowling pro shop, he had the occasional customer who wouldn't be happy if you hung 'em with a NEW rope.  finally the son called another mentor ball driller and asked what to do.  "punch 'em an attitude hole" was the answer.  in other words, just fill and drill the hole where the guy wants it, give him a handshake, and tell him, "I hope this works for you, if you have any other issues call (whutchie) at (wheresis)."

this EO is an "attitude hole" to settle the rants of some other a-- hole.  enough said.
KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »

Does anyone else think it bizarre, that the statement refers to the need for the gov't to "talk to itself"?
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »

there has always been an issue even cross-town with police talking to the sheriff, or fire department... they don't have the radios for the other frequencies.  allegedly the digital upgrades some departments are paying for allow this, but you have to get the correct frequency allocations.

in short, the 911 case got attention because the others are seen as "local" issues.

if certain folks were even moderately clever, they would have frequency agile radios with, say, two or three talk buttons assignable for locally appropriate frequencies.  said freqs to be assigned regionally in blocks, not randomly spit out of the file cabinet because this one is next freq up.  or use cellular technology with a Selcall or subaudible tone underneath it, so you hit red and talk if you need the sheriff's office, then green and start talking if you want to talk to local police, and so on.

but there is a silo mentality in Washington, not a coordination mentality.
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »

Well, it does seem to centralize control of the airwaves under a single agency, by executive order rather than through the legislative process.

Make of that what you will. Personally, I see it for what it is: another in a long list of power grabs.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: