Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Executive Order involving communications.  (Read 6603 times)
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 03:47:24 PM »

Here's an interesting take: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228950/White_House_order_on_emergency_communications_riles_privacy_group

"The problem with the Executive Order is that it also grants the DHS new authority to seize private communication facilities when necessary and to effectively shut down or limit civilian communications in a national crisis, said the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)."

That should alarm anyone, right, left, or middle. That's taking out both the 1st and 4th amendments in one swipe.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 06:44:19 AM »

Here's an interesting take: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228950/White_House_order_on_emergency_communications_riles_privacy_group

"The problem with the Executive Order is that it also grants the DHS new authority to seize private communication facilities when necessary and to effectively shut down or limit civilian communications in a national crisis, said the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)."

That should alarm anyone, right, left, or middle. That's taking out both the 1st and 4th amendments in one swipe.

It's bad enough when there's an emergency and everybody's first reaction is to reach for their phones and swamp the networks. Can you imagine the chaos if such a blackout was triggered deliberately?

As for radio, I'm not worried about this affecting hams in the least. This isn't WWI; we're so far down on the list of awareness I doubt they'd even bother.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »

It's bad enough when there's an emergency and everybody's first reaction is to reach for their phones and swamp the networks. Can you imagine the chaos if such a blackout was triggered deliberately?

I'm not certain, but I do believe I've read that local authorities can have cell providers reserve spectrum for local officials and emergency responses, keeping out the general public as needed ... and that they have done so at times.  I think I recall hearing that it was done in Chapel Hill some years ago.  (I might be wrong; it's certainly happened before.)  That sort of plan certainly sounds logical on the "greatest good" principle.

And I agree with you--if the local authorities have trunked 800MHz systems and a lock on the local cellphone channels, they're not likely to want that little chunk of 30 meter spectrum where I'm trying to work 5J.   Smiley
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »

SB QST @ ARL $ARLB018
ARLB018 Executive Order Poses No Threat to the Amateur Radio Service

ZCZC AG19
QST de W1AW
ARRL Bulletin 18  ARLB018
From ARRL Headquarters
Newington CT  July 12, 2012

To All Radio Amateurs

SB QST ARL ARLB018
ARLB018 Executive Order Poses No Threat to the Amateur Radio Service

On July 6, 2012, the White House released an Executive Order that addresses National Security and Emergency Preparedness (NS/EP) communications functions of the federal government. Contrary to some concerns raised in a few Amateur Radio circles, the Order does not appear to contain any threat to the Amateur Service or its ability to continue support communications during times of emergency or disaster. It also poses no threat to amateur spectrum.

"The purpose of the new entity, which would be created by this Order within the Executive Branch, appears to be to plan for future NS/EP communications and to insure survivability, hardness and interoperability, as well as to develop a long-term strategic plan for NS/EP communications," said ARRL Regulatory Information Manager Dan Henderson, N1ND. "Based on the Amateur Service's ongoing, positive working relationship with officials at the Department of Homeland Security's Office of Emergency Communications, it is hard to envision that any new management plan would not include Amateur Radio. Nothing in this Order directly affects Amateur Radio's daily operations."

A good summary of the content of the Order can be found online at,
http://www.federalnewsradio.com/519/2933910/Obama-assigns-new-responsibilities-for-keeping-government-connected-in-case-of-emergency.

NNNN
/EX
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:17:35 AM by W9GB » Logged
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 06:44:23 PM »

hi, this summary is interesting...

The system includes a number of programs, such as the Government Emergency Telecommunications Service (GETS), which allow federal agencies to access telephone and wireless service in the event of high-outages or services disruptions.

Its tagline is "When the going gets tough, GETS keeps you going."

They will access the systems in the event of high outages?

73 james
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 03:36:06 AM »

I think the ARRL position is naive. If someone wanted to shut down communication, an executive order permitting the seizure of private radio facilities and equipment would be a way to do it. I lived through Watergate, so I'm cynical about stuff like this. Smiley Remember when BART shut down cell traffic? How about the national "test" a few months ago?

Sorry, I'm just not comfortable with ANY department (non-partisan here) having the authority to just take possession of private equipment without due process.

What constitutes an "emergency?"
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 04:38:48 AM »

3 key words... Obama signed it... that worries me.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 07:45:07 AM »

3 key words... Obama signed it... that worries me.

Reagan initiated it -- that worries me more  Wink
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »

http://freedomthistime.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/left-right-slaughterhouse.png

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »

It maybe that from this side of the pond, I have a cynical attitude regarding all government agencies. The probability of ANY of them knowing enough to do ANYTHING in such an emergency is remote and it would fall to a very few local people - who would probably be ARES anyway!

Although I do remember reading that in some US floods (Red River? 1938?) some mayor tried to stop a ham sending emergency traffic because it made the township look bad. Somebody find teh details....
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: