Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does a solar flare make conditions bad?  (Read 2587 times)
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:53:44 PM »

Today, I put up a new antenna.  When I went on the air around 16:00Z I found that there were few stations to hear....but I saw on the cluster that there was a flare.  Does this generally make HF conditions bad?
Or is my antenna bad...(seems to work, an is better than my dipole).
Thanks

VA2FSQ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:52:18 PM »

Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. In general strong "earth directed" flares have a greater chance of disrupting radio conditions than those that are weak and not directed toward earth. These two sites usually describe flares and their impact on radio:

http://spaceweather.com/

http://www.solarham.net/

You will see that there was a very strong (M6.9) flare at 1632 utc - so you probably experienced it - and your antenna is probably just fine.

And here is an article regarding the recent flares and radio blackouts:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/06/solar-flare-sunspot-radio-blackout_n_1653581.html

During this past week there were a few times where the bands seemed to just fade completely out. I was on a net during the day on 40 meters, and the net completely faded away for a few minutes, and then came back. Sometimes you will even hear a long "swooshing" sound - where static seems to get louder.

Radio blackouts happen (usually) during the peak years of a solar cycle - when the sun is more active.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:20:38 PM by KY6R » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 10:12:40 PM »

Not just that but remember that for us in the northern hemisphere the Summer Doldrums are very real. Propagation and DXing takes a holiday. It's the Palos Verdes Sundancers' hint that we should do likewise Cheesy

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 07:55:17 AM »

Thanks for the info.
Actually, the last couple of weeks have had good propagation here to Montreal....go figure, it decides to take a dive when I change my antenna.

VA2FSQ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:02:11 AM »

On the West Coast, most nights on 20M have been quite good. Especially early evening.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »

Thanks for the info.
Actually, the last couple of weeks have had good propagation here to Montreal....go figure, it decides to take a dive when I change my antenna.

The conditions took a big crap when I upgraded rigs. I was really freaked out about my rig.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »

I like to think of propagation like roasting a marshmallow over a fire. Sometimes the fire is a perfect bed of coals (solar maximum), sometimes it's barely smoldering (solar minimum), and sometimes it's a raging inferno (solar flares/CMEs).

You want heat (solar activity) to slowly (but not too slowly) brown the marshmallow (good propagation). And rotating the marshmallow to cook it evenly is best (just as good propagation and MUF changes as the world rotates). But if you get too much flame (solar flare/CME), it can make a mess and burn the thing (HF black out). But you can just take off the burned crust and start roasting the thing again and in a bit of time it starts looking golden brown again.

Simple and silly perhaps, but it works in my mind. Of course it is much more complicated than that and there are some very cool types of propagation that occur before, during, and after solar flares. A much more detailed, yet easily understood explanation of it all can be found at http://www.qrparci.org/mambo/pdf/FDIM81.pdf
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 08:56:50 AM »

What a great Article.  Thanks!

VA2FSQ
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »

You want heat (solar activity) to slowly (but not too slowly) brown the marshmallow (good propagation). And rotating the marshmallow to cook it evenly is best (just as good propagation and MUF changes as the world rotates). But if you get too much flame (solar flare/CME), it can make a mess and burn the thing (HF black out). But you can just take off the burned crust and start roasting the thing again and in a bit of time it starts looking golden brown again.

I'm one of those who like to light the marshmallow on fire and then eat it when it burns out.. molten marshmallow goo inside a thin 'crust'. Yumm!

Thanks for the explanation though.

There has been another solar flare in the news in the last day or so. They said it should bring on some aurora's. It sounds like a good time to swing the 6m beam up north and try for some auroral propagation!
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 05:15:45 PM »

Well it seems that right now, at 00z we are in the midst of a major solar storm....Almost all day, the bands were completely dead from my qth. So, here is where experience comes in..the literature doesn't say much about what will now happen.  So, how long do these last?  What can you expect in the hours or days going forward?

VA2FSQ
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 07:48:46 PM »

Unless more crud comes along it'll slowly get back to normal in about two days, three at the worst.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 04:17:24 AM »

Unless more crud comes along it'll slowly get back to normal in about two days, three at the worst.

Peter, I do believe I saw that someone spotted you on the cluster yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, on 20m phone.  Smiley  I hope you had more fun than I did--I tuned around 20-17-15 (CW areas) and didn't hear much of anything.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 07:40:02 AM »

I saw that spot, too, but it looks like it was someone's contest logger hiccupping. I worked the station in question on that exact frequency almost exactly one full day before the spot was made, while I was running on 20 during the contest.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: