Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iambic Key recomendation  (Read 490 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:24:57 PM »

I am new in CW learning stiil and I would like to know whic paddle to get. so any tips would be highly apprecited
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 03:40:06 PM »

A used one, inexpensively.

To practice with, they're all about the same.

Once you get really good and experienced, you'll choose one that feels best for you.

WB2WIK/6
KD6TVH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:36:44 PM »

I would pick up a used Bencher BY-type. I used one for a couple of months and to be honest it felt just as good as my Begali (read: I am not good enough to tell the difference). In addition, Benchers are very common so if you go to another shack to operate, you will feel right at home.

KA2P
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 05:25:29 PM »

Very good advice to start on the Bencher paddle and for the reasons already given.

KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 07:22:12 AM »

How about the vibroplex warrior version?
K5CQB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 02:02:16 PM »

I use the code warrior jr and I really like the feel of the magnetic paddle.  Find a hamfest or an elmer with several different paddles and try them out.  

Jim
K5CQB
M3UFZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 02:34:12 PM »

I know its not the best key in the world but i started of with a highmound mk 708 paddle key and that wasn't bad for a starter key (its very cheap to).

So i would recomend a cheap and cheerful key to begin with.

Then progress up from that with Benchers, Kents etc (these are usually more expensive when new).

KB1OOO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 05:53:42 AM »

New to cw, I've also recently been through making a paddle choice.  I
recommend reading the eham reviews to find a good paddle that fits in
your budget.  Don't go by the review statistics alone, find an paddle
elmer whose opinion you respect and go by his/her reviews.  One such
elmer is DJ8GO.  Do a search for his call on the eham keys and paddles
reviews site.  He's also written a few very good eham articles on
paddles

http://www.eham.net/articles/8432
http://www.eham.net/articles/10577

For what it's worth, I ended up with a W5JH black widow spider paddle
(eham review here: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5937) and I'm very happy.

Good luck,
Marc
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 07:22:35 PM »

Well, the cold hard truth is that my first Iambic keyer consisted of two pieces of bandsaw blade, four posts drilled and tapped and a handful of machine screws 'n nuts, mounted on a piece of Delrin found in the university dumpster.  Two guitar picks for handles and I was in tall cotton, man.  

I actually miss that thing.

VK3GDM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 10:07:11 PM »

I’m new to!

I purchased a Begali Simplex.  I've only just started using it on air.  It's great!
Before that I used a straight key.

The Begali Simplex was very reasonably priced against the other new commercially available units I looked at.  It was also much cheaper for me to purchase direct from Begali than bye locally here in Australia. About $100 cheaper!

Even if you dont use it, it’s great to look at. The build quality is execellent.

David Mayes
VK3GDM
KN7T

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 11:42:41 AM »

I agree with the earlier comments regarding the Bencher paddles - find a used pair to get started with.  Actually, the Bencher paddles aren't too bad, there's some adjustability to them and they're probably one of the best deals out there for the price.  If you really want to get serious about high end paddles later, there's a whole gamut to choose from and the sky's the limit on price - basically what you have to concern yourself with is whether you prefer magnetic or mechanical spring return methods for the paddle levers.  
ZL4JB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 01:57:10 PM »

Go for the Bengali Simplex.  You will never regret buying one.  They are beautiful pieces of work and they are great to use.  I went from a straight key to the Bengali and have never regreted it.  Have a read of the reviews here on Ebay.  I have had mine now for 1 1/2 years.  Can't go wrong with it.  Good luck  73
Jim ZL4JB & KB8MPQ
VE7BGP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 08:50:17 AM »

Hello all Concerned
Unless you are very fortunate and like me find Brown Bros BTL-A Paddles they are classics. I recommend the the Vibroplex (Original) Iambic paddles. If you want the best get the Deluxe, Presentation or Gold. You get the Jeweled Movement that's smooth. If you get the Standard Model about every 3 years you need a drop of Lithium Grease on the Pivots and adjust the Slop out you want to see play but not Sloppy. That gives you good Feel. If you like Light Tension you need to take some tension out of the springs by adjusting very tight and squeezing the paddles. Then you back the adjustments right out my adjusting screws are in there just for Cosmetics. You can get these Classics right from the Factory in Alabama. I have not tried those $ Imports yet. I stick to USA paddles. I own a lot of Vibroplex products they are all great.
Gerry VE7BGP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: