Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best radio for cw  (Read 9591 times)
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 09:31:35 AM »

For a 500 dollar budget, I'd be looking for a good used Ten Tec Paragon II (586, not the earlier 585) with all of the
optional filters and a TenTec power supply. I'm a recent "convert" to Ten Tec (Omni VI) and fell in love with it.
At one time I would have never considered owning TenTec gear.   I would only buy one from a local ham you know and
trust. Old equipment can be problematic and a lot of guys dump lemons on ePay.

Pete
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 08:04:18 PM »

This might be asking for trouble. Been learning cw for some time copy pretty good W1AW my curent radio is a marine ssb no cw. Would like to get started. Thinking second hand around $500. anybody got an opion on what might be the best second hand radio for cw only in this price range. I live on a boat so am limited in power and antenna size.   
I'm no expert, but I'd recommend anything Ten-Tec for CW.  A Scout (Ten-Tec 555) would work, or for home use an old Omni C (Ten-Tec 546C) -- if in good working condx -- is hard to beat for a great affordable CW xcvr. If you can spend a little more get a used Jupiter.  It will give you all you need in a CW transceiver and also does SSB.  Another option might be an Argonaut V (Ten-tec 516) (20 watts) -- does SSB too but they are almost as expensive used as they are when they were discontinued in 2008.

On the cheap side get a used Scout -- a solid little rig and plenty of power for CW (50 watts) -- you can choose the band modules you prefer. The Scout was also made to be a mobile rig so should fit nicely into your boat scenario if you don't mind a very basic older rig. The Argonaut V (516) was also designed as a mobile rig and has a lot more modern features than the Scout and is only 20 watts but will be hard to find for less than $600. (if you can find it for that). If you can afford a little more get a used Jupiter.  I have the older version (green/gray screen) and it is everything I need on a xcvr (CW, SSB, 100 watts).

For pics and specs of the above mentioned rigs, check out Ten-Tec wiki at: http://tentecwiki.org/doku.php?id=transceivers just click on a model # to go to that models info sheet

Elecraft and Ten-Tec are what most CW devotees tend to prefer...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:12:29 PM by K9AIM » Logged
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »

Elecraft K1!

http://radiopreppers.com/index.php/topic,98.0.html

Gil.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »

You said a rig for $500. I owned a Kenwood TS-450 for years. It worked flawlessly. I had a CW IF filter in it. You will need one in most radios. Either 500hz or 270hz.
The 450 also had an option for an internal antenna tuner. See if you can find one locally and check it out.

I also own an Icom IC-765. Same age as the Kenwood, but a base station. Still one of the very best radios ever made.

GL 73 Tony N5UD
KU7I

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 11:04:37 PM »

So many great rigs out there.....try them.

Lane
Ku7i
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: