Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-1000MP MK Field vs ICOM IC-756Pro II  (Read 1421 times)
N4NDX

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »

I just sold my Yaesu FT-990 to upgrade to a newer rig. I have my eyes on a Yaesu FT-1000MP MK Field and an ICOM IC-756Pro II. I have not had any experience with neither of them, only what I have read in the reviews.  So here I am to here from those who has and can guide me to a smart decision.

You guys input are greatly appreciated.

David/N4NDX 
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 04:08:33 PM »

Hard to say which might be best for you as you didn't mention anything about what modes or bands you operate.  I've owned an FT-1000MP Mark V and Icom Pro III and liked both very much for DXing on CW.  The Pro II, I believe, includes 6M as the Pro III did so there's an advantage if you have 6M interests.  The Field has a built-in power supply so there's something in its favor.  You can spend a lot of money on filters for the Yaesu, depending on the modes you want to operate, where the Pro II has no optional filters.  I believe that Inrad makes a roofing filter for both the rigs, but no need for that unless you plan on doing serious contesting on CW on crowded bands.  The Yaesu will exhibit key clicks and there are a couple of mods available to help minimize that problem.  The Pro II has a spectrum scope that is rather useful, and far better than the one in the Tentec Orion II or the Yaesu FT-5000 (housed in speaker/scope cabinet).  Both rigs are quite capable and I think the choice boils down to one of personal preference and/or which of the features I mentioned you want.

73, Floyd - K8AC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: