Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: power lines  (Read 4210 times)
K0ZN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 08:27:45 PM »

WX7G.....

I fully understand the theory, etc.   A lot of local distribution is 7.2 KV and I have personally witnessed arcs that "cannot happen". One of the most vivid was a
guy with a sailboat that attempted to drive under a line with the mast up !  It was a 7,200 line and the arc initiated when the mast was over a foot away..... You can believe me or choose not to..... your call....but it happened.  I can't argue with the theoretical calculations, but I can guarantee that power lines are considerably more treacherous (in regard to arcing) than is to be expected.

You only get ONE close call with a power line !!

73,  K0ZN
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 06:19:13 PM »

For what it's worth, the OSHA minimum distances between a worker not qualified for high-voltage work - or a metal object - and energized power lines are

1910.333(c)(3)(i)(A)(1)

For voltages to ground 50kV or below - 10 feet (305 cm);

1910.333(c)(3)(i)(A)(2)

For voltages to ground over 50kV - 10 feet (305 cm) plus 4 inches (10 cm) for every 10kV over 50kV.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 06:16:26 AM »

One of the most vivid was a guy with a sailboat that attempted to drive under a line with the mast up !  It was a 7,200 line and the arc initiated when the mast was over a foot away..... You can believe me or choose not to..... your call....but it happened.  I can't argue with the theoretical calculations, but I can guarantee that power lines are considerably more treacherous (in regard to arcing) than is to be expected.

I would choose not to believe you.  Or at least choose not to believe what you think you know.  The more likely explanation is that yes, probably he had about a one foot clearance, but water is rarely perfectly still especially in areas where a sailboat is going to be.  A one foot peak high wave on the water would easily cause the clearance distance to become zero.  No need for magic or violation on physical laws here!  Roll Eyes

Gene
AD5ZC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 04:31:57 PM »

Good.
Next time you'll know to just do whatever the hell u want despite any recommendations you might have solicited.

Next time... Don't waste our time finding out what we would say.
KF6DBZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 08:33:16 AM »

AD5ZC,
Why would you say something like that? I asked for thoughts and you reply with that? I dont understand the mindset that would make you do that.
Just trying to start a conversation.

Anyway, because of people like you i am ready to sell my ham radios, I have talked to alot of ham radio operators and most of them are the CB type. I dont need that, I thought this was professional radio.
Kind of strange seems like the HF people are ok but VHF people most are ok but there seems to be more of the CB type there, thats why i stay on HF but everytime i try 2 meters stuff happens, well no more.
I am done.
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 06:20:58 PM »

AD5ZC's advice leads to electrocution and fires. It's not many months ago when three family members were killed while erecting an antenna that contacted high voltage power lines, and OSHA has a long list of fatal accidents involving overhead power lines. Most involve direct contact, but some involve arc flashes. (Suggested keywords are "electric arc" and "overhead power lines").

If you bring a wire antenna under high voltage power lines, you can induce enough power to light a lightbulb. If you have an antenna that doesn't bleed static, you might get a bit of spark gap action going in your antenna system or in your radio.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: