Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 18451 times)
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2012, 05:56:26 AM »

Amazing how even the most optimistic of threads can be intruded upon by negativity.
N0BLT

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »

I am using the just learn morse code software.

...as of today I am have completed eight letters.

If you know 8 letters then try feeding these words into the Just Learn Morse Code program, and try no writing/typing. Try a little head copy.  It'll be pretty humbling!  I decided to approach this learning code thing, based now on head copy only.  No more paper & writing/typing.  The end result, will be much better.  I was at 20 wpm, paper copy, of 8 characters, same place as you, when I switched.  Now my brain gets stretched MUCH MORE, and my hand no longer scribbles, MINDLESS random jibberish!  Mix these up a little first, and put them in a file.  Select "file" as source in Just Learn Morse Code.

krauts markup tramps trumps kaput karts kraut marks marts murks parks parts ramps rumps smart spark spurt stamp stark strap strum stump supra tamps tarps tramp trams traps trump turks amps amus arks arms arts kart kats maps mark mars mart mask mast mats murk musk must muts pams park part past pats puma purs puts ramp rams raps rapt rasp rats rump rums rusk rust ruts skat smut spam spar spat spur star sump tamp tams taps tarp tars task taus tram trap turk tusk umps amp apt ark arm art ask asp map mar mat mut pam par pat pur pus put ram rap rat rum rut sap sat sum tam tap tar tsk ump ups am ar as at up us
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:25:35 PM by N0BLT » Logged
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2012, 06:28:22 PM »

N0BLT,

What you're doing may be a very good idea, but consider using [/Source/Text lines] after putting each word/phrase on a separate line - that way you won't be able to predict what comes next.

Also, consider voice recognition.  That would allow you to monitor your progress without typing/writing - just speak each word as you recognise it.

LB3KB Sigurd
justlearnmorsecode.com
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:33:18 PM by LB3KB » Logged
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2012, 03:27:36 AM »

MINDLESS random jibberish

Yeah, I figure the use of random characters is one of the bigger obstacles placed in the way of folks trying lo learn. It's fine for the military, where transmissions are likely to be encrypted, but isn't particularly helpful for amateurs. I wonder how much easier it would be if words (including the usual abbreviations like ES, DE, GM, TU, etc.) and callsigns (including things like '/P' and so on) were used as soon as they could be. The character introduction order might need changing a bit for it to work well.

I also (on a different tack) wonder whether the add one character, then add another, then add another progression is actually the best way, too. It seems to me it builds a wall, and each new character gets harder to learn. Some programs help a bit by weighting the new characters so they appear more often, but even so the new ones may only appear a handful of times in any given exercise. I suspect it might be much more effective to work through the characters in small sets until they're all covered, then combine the small sets into larger ones, and repeat that until eventually there's just one set.

Of one think I am certain; the Koch method is not the be-all-and-end-all method for learning Morse, at least as far as amateur radio is concerned. It may work for some, and it has some good aspects, but it's only part of the answer, and only for some folk.
AC2Q

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2012, 08:33:02 AM »

The best thing to do is just get on the air and call CQ.

Check out the QRS-CW · QRS Slow Speed CW Group on Yahoo, severalof them "sit" on certain frequencies and are very helpful.
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2012, 11:23:35 AM »

AC2Q said- "The best thing to do is just get on the air and call CQ.

Check out the QRS-CW · QRS Slow Speed CW Group on Yahoo, several of them "sit" on certain frequencies and are very helpful."

Good advice, but the fella needs to learn Morse code before he can do that. My understanding of the Koch method is that you learn at 20 wpm, so really no need for code buddy's or qrs groups with Koch.
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2012, 12:19:58 PM »

Koch's method dictates that you should learn at your desired operating speed.  While many people may want to operate at 20 WPM, there are plenty of other valid goals.

A goal of anything less than 12 WPM may be counter-productive in the long run, though.

LB3KB Sigurd
justlearnmorsecode.com
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2012, 03:39:46 AM »

The best thing to do is just get on the air and call CQ.

Check out the QRS-CW · QRS Slow Speed CW Group on Yahoo, severalof them "sit" on certain frequencies and are very helpful.

O yes, just like traveling to China, and you only learned to say phonetically :
有美丽的一天
我能说中文,所以右侧谈中国对我来说

Bob
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: