Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repeaters? Simplex? Scan?  (Read 10237 times)
KG4ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 06:35:07 AM »

I do plan to put a note on my APRS beacon "146.520".

The D710 has a feature where it will automatically put the frequency from the other band into your beacon message. That way your beacon will be correct no matter what you have tuned. For repeaters it would be nice if it also included the offset and PL. Right now it just shows the output freq.

-Jeff

Jeff... can you tell me what menu number that is or where to look for instructions to set that up?

ALSO... can you tell me where it is that I can program the 710 so that a simplex freq. can have priority and comes up if I am, at the moment scanning, or any other freq.?

Thanks
Ralph KG4ADQ
Thank you Jeff...  I will look that up in the manual and see if I can do that.
Ralph KG4ADQ

N6DZR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 12:57:25 PM »

Jeff... can you tell me what menu number that is or where to look for instructions to set that up?

ALSO... can you tell me where it is that I can program the 710 so that a simplex freq. can have priority and comes up if I am, at the moment scanning, or any other freq.?

Well, it's been a while since I set mine up, but I found something in the "In-Depth Manual APRS EchoLink.pdf" you can download from their website. It won't let me copy & paste the text, so you can look at page 25, section 6.1.6.1 "Transmitting QSY Information". It essentially says you can put [Freq MHz] in status message #5. You would then select that message to be used for your beacon and you should be good to go.

I have not used any of the scanning functions, so not sure I can help there. I would recommend checking out the various downloadable PDF files they have as they usually have more info that what's in the printed version that came in the box.

-Jeff
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »

Yes 2 meter simplex is a wasteland most of the time. But these days so are the 1000's of repeaters!! Many repeaters sit for days and weeks with no activity. everyone is Skyping, or texting, or who knows what. And if you do find a repeater that has activity it is IRLP, echolink, or Allstar and the audio is so bad you cant understand it or it clips like crazy.
HF would yield a good crop of conversations!

IMHO

Dan/NØFPE
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:39 AM »

I would just go HF unless you are just wanting to talk to the locals along your route. 2 meter activity has seriously declined in the last 10-12 years, at least around here in Northern Alabama. As a repeater owner/trustee on and off for the past 12 plus years I have noticed it first hand. My repeater might sit for a week and not hear any activity. The occasional traveler might come through but that's about it. Sometimes a few locals might get a sudden urge and talk on the repeater for a day or two then all goes quiet for the next month. Years ago one could get on 2 meters just about any time of the day and find someone to talk to but that just isn't the case anymore. I probably spend 97% of my radio time on HF these days.

I don't think I would bother to program all repeaters along my path. That could be a daunting task to say the least and no telling how many of those repeaters aren't even on the air. At least on HF there is always someone around.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:21:16 AM by KJ4I » Logged
KG4ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 08:36:05 AM »

I would just go HF unless you are just wanting to talk to the locals along your route. 2 meter activity has seriously declined in the last 10-12 years, at least around here in Northern Alabama. As a repeater owner/trustee on and off for the past 12 plus years I have noticed it first hand. My repeater might sit for a week and not hear any activity. The occasional traveler might come through but that's about it. Sometimes a few locals might get a sudden urge and talk on the repeater for a day or two then all goes quiet for the next month. Years ago one could get on 2 meters just about any time of the day and find someone to talk to but that just isn't the case anymore. I probably spend 97% of my radio time on HF these days.

I don't think I would bother to program all repeaters along my path. That could be a daunting task to say the least and no telling how many of those repeaters aren't even on the air. At least on HF there is always someone around.

Thanks for your reply... I am indeed finding this out!  After two long distance trips, the first to New England for 2700 miles and having very little activity on 2mtrs, the other trip to Miami/Key West.  This time I had stickers made for the back window of the Jeep... one read APRS with my call sign... the other just had the 146.520 on it.  Not one single contact from the use of those  stickers.  I did have a nice conversation with "Mike" out of Port St. Lucy for a few miles.  I heard him talk and I keyed up.  That was it for 2500 miles that trip. 
Not that I want to talk all the time... but I don't even hear any other conversations... no activity!
I may go HF...  maybe.
Or I may go back to CB just for road info etc.
Thanks again for your input...
Ralph  KG4ADQ
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 06:24:22 PM »

HF   On my last trip from Ohio to Florida working 80m and 40m I had as many QSO's as my voice would permit.
Worked 40+ states and around 10 countries.... Had my 2m monitoring .520 and only heard 2 QSO's that whole time..... 73 Greg
KG4ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 04:31:46 AM »

HF   On my last trip from Ohio to Florida working 80m and 40m I had as many QSO's as my voice would permit.
Worked 40+ states and around 10 countries.... Had my 2m monitoring .520 and only heard 2 QSO's that whole time..... 73 Greg

Greg thanks for your reply!
Hate to think of having two radios going... the D710 and an HF rig.  But I am indeed begining to realize that 2m is darned near useless on long trips.  The APRS seems to work well, although it is quite scarce in a few places in Georgia. Surprisingly great APRS coverage out on the Florida Keys!!!!  I might have to rethink the usefulness of APRS and the D710 on long trips and consider HF.
Ralph KG4ADQ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: