Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TenTec All Mode QRP rig  (Read 10450 times)
QRPNEW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 02:20:43 AM »

Ten Tec could just release the Eagle with a 10 to 30 watt PA. This Eagle would have a inbuilt lithium ion battery pack and charger. The radio could operate from  110 to 260 volts AC and also operate from 10 to 50 volts DC.

The Eagle has all  the necessary features for a competitive QRP portable radio package.

If Ten Tec produced a radio the SGC2020 that would be a huge hit.

I am not impressed much by what Ten Tec is doing these days, it just seems all cheap and nasty with no class or performance over the better priced Japanese and products like Elecraft.

Ten Tec really needs to get in a engineer who can package and design their products with more design esthetic. They look crude and rude. The Omni 7 is  good example, a great rig with excellent features that is  let down by a crap screen and packaging. Ten Tec radios have no class even thought they do deliver some performance. The Omni 7 is a much better radio the IC756 PRO series of radios, its just packaged marketed so badly. Whoever designs the Ten Tecs radio graphic LCD display certainly has no tastes. It reminds of a computer game machines you would have seen in 80's the graphics are just crap, ugly and a real eyesore. You look at a Icom screen and its just pure class. Why cant they do such good graphics on the Orion or Omni 7?

Anyway the design of Ten Tec radios looks like they pass their designs around to a group of 10 homebrewers and each one adds something to it, its very primitive. As much as I would like to support Ten Tec, they just dont do a good job packaging and designing their radios features.

I would rather see fewer radios from TenTec and rather see 1 radio design with every effort being made to make this one radio a perfect radio in all aspects of its design. Kenwood is doing this and so is Elecraft, producing strategic well design products that are category killers. I could never expect Ten Tec to design a radio like the KX3 for example, they appear to have vision for such product. The appear to do well at designing radios that are like plain slices of white bread with no butter or jelly on them. Looking at Ten Tec radios is like looking at cardboard boxes they really look that bad. The old Ten Tec radios at least had some style that you could be attracted too.

N1EU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »

Don't feed the trolls and don't respond to anybody who won't post their call sign.

Barry N1EU
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 08:00:53 PM »

W4OP has a good point.  This rig is what it is and if you don't like it, go buy brand X.
Just quit crying to the rest of us.
Art
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 09:24:31 PM »

W4OP has a good point.  This rig is what it is and if you don't like it, go buy brand X.
Just quit crying to the rest of us.
Art

Sorry OM. If you don't like what we post here, go to forum X and quit trying to tell us what to post. We consumers are telling TT what to expect when their rig hits the market. 
QRPNEW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 02:56:07 AM »

I am no troll, I own a Omni 6, excellent radio for its time. Likewise I like my Corsair  as well.

I would like to see TenTec produce better radios.

Compare  the  Omni 7 and Icom 7600 or 756 pro. The Omni has excellent receiver specs but the LCD display is just so crude and rough. Likewise the packaging of the Ten Tec.

The same can be said for the Orion versus the IC7700 or IC7800. God what a awful screen on the Orions. Its slow  and so coarse.  Can you really call the bandscope in the Orion that? Its crap.

Then there is all the bugs that never get fixed in the new Ten Tec radios. Elecraft addresses and fixes its issues in a  reasonable period of time. You can at least have some confidence in Elecraft.
Not so Ten Tec who just seem to abandoned their products  like they did with the Orion 1. Both the Orion 1 and 2 have issues that will never be fixed.

Lets get this clear Ten Tec have products and design skills that can make their products world class. If they put  a decent LCD display and decent Firmware into the Orion and combine it with product features that hams want
they could have a best seller. Compare the Orion and the Yaesu FTDX5000, I mean  the Orion looks like a poor  hobo radio  that was assembled by a prison chain gang when put next door to the FT5000 and compared. I mean this from any angle, packaging, performance  and features. Sure the FT5000 has a crap bandscope thats  even worst than the Orions but its still a better radio.

Ten Tec also seem to produce radios whose PA's are marginal and have poor TX IMD. Orion , Eagle and Omni 7 can cause a lot of splatter because of the poor specifications PA's The same could be said for the Elecraft radios.
Look at the FT5000, IC7700, IC7800 all these radios have nice 200 watt  FET PA's

Ten Tecs remote Omni 7 features are way ahead of other brands. Ten Tec does not market or promote this feature and try and make the Ten Tec the best remote radio. Opportunity lost. Remote ham operation is becoming hugely
popular and Ten Tec could have been leader if it produced a plug and play solution that is combined with a first class radio. People dont like the Omni 7 because its ugly and  fails too impress in many areas.

I had a Jupiter and what crap audio it had. Everyone told me it sounded like I had RF in my audio and that I lacked drive. When I heard a buddy of mine on this radio I had to agree. The Jupiter also had the most
horrendously ugly display ever put on a radio. It looked like LCD display  you find in kids toys  in toy shops. Something like a doodle pad  it was so bad.

I wish Ten Tec  and its supporters well. I am glad that some hams like their products and are loyal customers. I would be a loyal Ten Ten fan if they produced decent good looking radios with performance that was first class.
If Ten Tec thinks that these radios are too expensive too produce why cant they offer all the features as options

Options:
1. High resolution LCD display
2. OCXO reference option.
3. 19 inch high quality  USA made rack panel case.
4. Calibrated S-meter  and accurate volt, amp and swr readings.
5. 200 FET PA with decent IMD performance.
6. High performance remote accessories  and software.
7. External LCD high speed bandscope option. Look at how sexy the IC7800 looks and performs with an external LCD display
8. 10 watt low distortion audio section rather than the lousy 1 watt 20% distortion in the typical Ten Tec radio.
9. ESSB  enhancement package
10. Optional noise blankers and noise reduction that works, even if you have to pay a licence fee.
11. Remote  high performance weather sealed antenna tuner
12. NTIA transmitter performance specifications for stability and  IMD for MARS operation

I can go on and on all day. But all I can say is this. Look at the New Yaesu FTDX3000, if Ten Tec  could produce a radio as looking and that performs as well  this  new future radio I will eat my hat. I think
my hat is safe!

Elecrafters and Ten Tec owners just behave like brain washed bullies who dont really want to confront the facts about their favorite brands limitations and lack of appeal. Its sad that you cant discuss these sort of
points on the Elecraft or Ten Tec reflectors without getting run off by the brand reflector bullies.  These comments I suppose applies to all brands, you would never dare make one comment about Icoms on the  Icom reflectors as well.
You will get an instant banning. A shame really that hams have become such emotional delinquents who cant discuss a products failings  in a fair, open and honest manner. I am a member of many performance car reflectors
and users on these reflectors  at least tell it as they see it without getting mad. Everyone can have a opinion and disagree but you always learn the truth. I see nobody getting banned for constructive criticism of various automobiles chat groups. For  a hobby thats so supposed to have technical  minded and educated people, we behave like a pack of while animals who tear any person  apart if you make any comments that you dont agree with.   Its very childish this kind of behavior.

If a radio is bad and lacks appeal somebody should  tell that truth and say its been beaten with a ugly  stick. The  same goes for the performance. Why cant hams handle their favorite brands being criticized?
I suppose they want hams to dream and pretend that  they living in radio Nirvana and any piece of crap can be the best in the world if you constantly brain wash people on reflectors and forums? Hams have very
low  view of other hams if they think that this kind  of brain washing is normal  behavior in a free society. If you want to censor peoples  views this way, hams should go move to communist china where the whole society
is brainwashed and censored.

Don't feed the trolls and don't respond to anybody who won't post their call sign.

Barry N1EU
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 02:07:16 AM »

The reflector and radio groupies dont like people who make criticism of their favorite brands.  These days hams dont even like  to be told that one transceiver measures better than another in lab tests.
Its unfortunate  that  so many hams are behaving like dumb CB'ers  It wont be long before we will be giving rigs names like Cobra, President and SuperDXspecial because  it has more emotional appeal than radios that
have been tested and subjected to a whole range of receiver and transmitters tests.

The same goes for transmitter IMD, hams dont want to know that their new 10000 dollar radio splatters as much as a 50 dollar CB radio. This is the reality these days with all the garbage transmitters.
Some hams seems to prefer to bury their heads in the sand and pretend that their radios are perfect, thats why anyone who makes criticsm of a  brand get strips of flesh torn off their backs. Elecraft and the Ten Tec reflectors
are the worst at doing this. Then we also have the same behavior on the Icom Yahoo reflectors, any Icom criticism and the own bans you  or puts all your posts on moderation. Its mild version of censorship in the guise of
wanting decorum.

Anyway we evolving into a bunch of end users rather than technocrats who demand engineering data. I am just waiting for some ham to tell me that his black receiver hears better than my grey colored receiver. Maybe I can start
selling crystals for ham radios that will make them perform better!

I am no troll, I own a Omni 6, excellent radio for its time. Likewise I like my Corsair  as well.

Compare  the  Omni 7 and Icom 7600 or 756 pro. The Omni has excellent receiver specs but the LCD display is just so crude and rough. Likewise the packaging of the Ten Tec.

The same can be said for the Orion versus the IC7700 or IC7800. God what a awful screen on the Orions. Its slow  and so coarse.  Can you really call the bandscope in the Orion that? Its crap.

Then there is all the bugs that never get fixed in the new Ten Tec radios. Elecraft addresses and fixes its issues in a  reasonable period of time. You can at least have some confidence in Elecraft.
Not so Ten Tec who just seem to abandoned their products  like they did with the Orion 1. Both the Orion 1 and 2 have issues that will never be fixed.

Lets get this clear Ten Tec have products and design skills that can make their products world class. If they put  a decent LCD display and decent Firmware into the Orion and combine it with product features that hams want
they could have a best seller. Compare the Orion and the Yaesu FTDX5000, I mean  the Orion looks like a poor  hobo radio  that was assembled by a prison chain gang when put next door to the FT5000 and compared. I mean this from any angle, packaging, performance  and features. Sure the FT5000 has a crap bandscope thats  even worst than the Orions but its still a better radio.

Ten Tec also seem to produce radios whose PA's are marginal and have poor TX IMD. Orion , Eagle and Omni 7 can cause a lot of splatter because of the poor specifications PA's The same could be said for the Elecraft radios.
Look at the FT5000, IC7700, IC7800 all these radios have nice 200 watt  FET PA's

Ten Tecs remote Omni 7 features are way ahead of other brands. Ten Tec does not market or promote this feature and try and make the Ten Tec the best remote radio. Opportunity lost. Remote ham operation is becoming hugely
popular and Ten Tec could have been leader if it produced a plug and play solution that is combined with a first class radio. People dont like the Omni 7 because its ugly and  fails too impress in many areas.

I had a Jupiter and what crap audio it had. Everyone told me it sounded like I had RF in my audio and that I lacked drive. When I heard a buddy of mine on this radio I had to agree. The Jupiter also had the most
horrendously ugly display ever put on a radio. It looked like LCD display  you find in kids toys  in toy shops. Something like a doodle pad  it was so bad.

I wish Ten Tec  and its supporters well. I am glad that some hams like their products and are loyal customers. I would be a loyal Ten Ten fan if they produced decent good looking radios with performance that was first class.
If Ten Tec thinks that these radios are too expensive too produce why cant they offer all the features as options

Options:
7. External LCD high speed bandscope option. Look at how sexy the IC7800 looks and performs with an external LCD display
8. 10 watt low distortion audio section rather than the lousy 1 watt 20% distortion in the typical Ten Tec radio.
10. Optional noise blankers and noise reduction that works, even if you have to pay a licence fee.
12. NTIA transmitter performance specifications for stability and  IMD for MARS operation

I can go on and on all day. But all I can say is this. Look at the New Yaesu FTDX3000, if Ten Tec  could produce a radio as looking and that performs as well  this  new future radio I will eat my hat. I think
my hat is safe!

Elecrafters and Ten Tec owners just behave like brain washed bullies who dont really want to confront the facts about their favorite brands limitations and lack of appeal. Its sad that you cant discuss these sort of
points on the Elecraft or Ten Tec reflectors without getting run off by the brand reflector bullies.  These comments I suppose applies to all brands, you would never dare make one comment about Icoms on the  Icom reflectors as well.
You will get an instant banning. A shame really that hams have become such emotional delinquents who cant discuss a products failings  in a fair, open and honest manner. I am a member of many performance car reflectors
and users on these reflectors  at least tell it as they see it without getting mad. Everyone can have a opinion and disagree but you always learn the truth. I see nobody getting banned for constructive criticism of various automobiles chat groups. For  a hobby thats so supposed to have technical  minded and educated people, we behave like a pack of while animals who tear any person  apart if you make any comments that you dont agree with.   Its very childish this kind of behavior.

If a radio is bad and lacks appeal somebody should  tell that truth and say its been beaten with a ugly  stick. The  same goes for the performance. Why cant hams handle their favorite brands being criticized?
I suppose they want hams to dream and pretend that  they living in radio Nirvana and any piece of crap can be the best in the world if you constantly brain wash people on reflectors and forums? Hams have very
low  view of other hams if they think that this kind  of brain washing is normal  behavior in a free society. If you want to censor peoples  views this way, hams should go move to communist china where the whole society

Barry N1EU
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 02:24:49 PM »

Options:

my hat is safe!

Barry N1EU
I agree with QRPNEW, without true commits, their will be no progress.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 02:29:10 PM »

I like the QRZ.com philosophy of letting people without valid, registered amateur callsigns only post on a couple of the forums where they can ask questions, and not post anywhere else until they have a recorded callsign.

Eliminates a lot of problems. Wink
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 04:05:34 PM »

I like the QRZ.com philosophy of letting people without valid, registered amateur callsigns only post on a couple of the forums where they can ask questions, and not post anywhere else until they have a recorded callsign.

Eliminates a lot of problems. Wink

So I guess you are a big fan of controlled speech in the style of George Orwell.
We know where you live - the thought police will be arriving soon.

The role of the court jester in days of old was to advise the king by using sarcasm and ridicule.
The nobles of the court were too busy telling the king what he wanted to hear, and the jester was an important voice of truth.
Kings knew of the danger of not hearing bad news, so the jester was considered an important advisor.

73 - Rob
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:16:27 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: