Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logging programs for Linux?  (Read 4276 times)
W0BTU

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »

Is CQRLOG and XLOG all there is for Linux?

I have used CQRlog for some time. It's a very nice piece of work, but I don't like way the drop-down "Frequency:" list feature works at all! Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it appears that we cannot customize it, and there's no 60 meter support. (I simply HATE having to type in the 60M freqs all the time.)

I just posted a suggestion on the cqrlog.com forum. We'll see what happens.

I've tried some Windows logging software under WINE, but none of them worked right.

BTW, I posted this to the QRZ.com logging software forum, but the post appears only intermittently, and with occasional errors. Odd.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »

Is CQRLOG and XLOG all there is for Linux?

I have used CQRlog for some time. It's a very nice piece of work, but I don't like way the drop-down "Frequency:" list feature works at all! Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it appears that we cannot customize it, and there's no 60 meter support. (I simply HATE having to type in the 60M freqs all the time.)

I just posted a suggestion on the cqrlog.com forum. We'll see what happens.

I've tried some Windows logging software under WINE, but none of them worked right.

DXLab runs on Linux; here's how.

Dave, AA6YQ
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 04:58:44 AM »

DXLab runs on Linux; here's how.

Dave, AA6YQ

Not quite, doing it this way, you are still running in Windows, with Windows running under Linux as a VM.

Since the original poster is asking about Linux, I would imagine that he does not want to use Windows at all (unless forced to)....

Before going to exclusively Macs I was using jLog http://jlog.org/index.htm under Linux. it is in Java and works under Windows, Linux, and OSX.

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:11:01 AM »

Thanks, Dave. Actually, though, I already have that set up on my shack PC. :-)

Since the original poster is asking about Linux, I would imagine that he does not want to use Windows at all (unless forced to)....

Before going to exclusively Macs I was using jLog http://jlog.org/index.htm under Linux. it is in Java and works under Windows, Linux, and OSX.

Yes, running under Linux has its advantages. I'll check out jLog. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:13:43 AM by W0BTU » Logged

WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:58:06 PM »

N3FJP software will run under wine without problems.
N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:26:33 AM »

Mike, here is the reply I posted in the QRZ forum and also in a PM to you per your request.

With rig control set up in CQRlog, I never have to bother with the Frequency box. Mike, make certain that 5 MHz is checked in CQRlog's Preferences|Bands dialog. I don't bother with 60m so I don't have it checked.

Off the top of my head, there is also Klog, dbLog, TWlog, and probably more in various states of development and features.

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
KA1DBE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »

For general logging I use Xlog.  For contesting I use YFKtest, TLF, or jlog depending on which contest it is.  I have used CQRlog but I have just not gotten the hang of it.   There is also twlog for general logging.  73s
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »

Mike, here is the reply I posted in the QRZ forum and also in a PM to you per your request. ...

Thanks, Nate!

I just posted the following to the qrz.com forum:

Checking 5 MHz (or any other band) in CQRlog's Preferences|Bands dialog does nothing. All the bands there Except 5 MHZ display in the drop-down "Frequency:" list regardless of what is checked or unchecked.

What could be wrong, and how do we solve this? I've looked through the config files and see nothing about bands or frequencies. Maybe the main config file is corrupted? I have uninstalled and reinstalled CQRlog but nothing changed.

Enabling rig control is probably good advice. The last time I thought about it was when I had my IC-751A. Maybe it's easier to to with the rig I use now, an IC-765. But I'd like to figure out what is wrong before I try that!

Could someone please send me their ~/.config/cqrlog.cfg file ? TIA! :-)

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »

N3FJP software will run under wine without problems.
For general logging I use Xlog.  For contesting I use YFKtest, TLF, or jlog depending on which contest it is.  I have used CQRlog but I have just not gotten the hang of it.   There is also twlog for general logging.  73s

Thank you, gentlemen. I looked at N3FJP, and I'll check those other ones out soon. :-)

Since only 60 meters does not show up in that drop-down list, I'm thinking that this is an obscure bug in CQRlog introduced about the time that 60M became available.

N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 05:26:24 AM »

Mike, please ask Petr about this in the CQRlog Bugs forum:

http://www.cqrlog.com/forum/3

Petr is quite responsive about bugs so don't let this fester!

As I use Rig control at all times, when and if I select a 60m frequency, the Frequency box updates to the correct F.  If there is a problem with Hamlib support of your IC-765, please let me know as I'm involved with the Hamlib project.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:36:12 AM by N0NB » Logged

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 12:58:05 PM »

Mike, please ask Petr about this in the CQRlog Bugs forum:

Looks like Petr is already on top of this. http://www.cqrlog.com/comment/2013#comment-2013

If there is a problem with Hamlib support of your IC-765, please let me know as I'm involved with the Hamlib project.

I appreciate that. IIRC, I just need to fix my old TTL / RS-232 converter and wire it between the 765 and a COM port. If I run into problems, I'll sure let you know. Thanks again.

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »

This is now solved.  Smiley

See http://www.cqrlog.com/node/694 and http://www.cqrlog.com/files/freq.pdf.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: