Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did he ignore my responses?  (Read 2153 times)
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:39:41 AM »

The last few days, I have been seeing a automatically detecting a station (with DM780 superbrowser) from New Caledonia on the air on PSK31 at around 0500Z.  So  I decided to stay up a couple of nights to try and get an ATNO.  The first couple of nights, I never seemed to get through, or my signal was ignored,  It was kinda strange, there would be a bunch of cq's from him, he would answer, then when I tried, he disappeared for a while.

Last night, he answered my call like this: "VA2FSQ VA2FSQ de FKxxx FKxxx only y pse kn"

What is "only y"? He then continued to answer many other us stations as well as other countries.

Anybody have any ideas?  I sent him an email, but he did not respond.
Thanks

VA2FSQ
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:48:38 AM »

The last few days, I have been seeing a automatically detecting a station (with DM780 superbrowser) from New Caledonia on the air on PSK31 at around 0500Z.  So  I decided to stay up a couple of nights to try and get an ATNO.  The first couple of nights, I never seemed to get through, or my signal was ignored,  It was kinda strange, there would be a bunch of cq's from him, he would answer, then when I tried, he disappeared for a while.

Last night, he answered my call like this: "VA2FSQ VA2FSQ de FKxxx FKxxx only y pse kn"

Wait, did you work him?

I would interpret "only y" as "only you" in that case... and pse KN supports that (KN basically means "turning it over to (callsign) specifically')

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:49:45 AM »

Maybe he is using a variant of that awesome and efficient pileup controlling technique - calling by the letters.  Smiley

Actually I think he may have just hit the y key twice or there may have been noise inserting an extra letter.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 08:53:52 AM »

Actually I think he may have just hit the y key twice or there may have been noise inserting an extra letter.

+1

This is probably the right answer.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:54:52 AM »

I'm not a PSK31 DX'er (only dabbled a couple times), but...

I'm willing to bet that not only is this a ATNO for you, but also for 100 hundred PSK'ers who come back all at the same time!

It's also possible that he was trying to move you to split but all of the "up" that came through was "y". I know split must be technically possible on PSK31 but have never personally used split to advantage on that mode. It's done all the time on CW and RTTY.

When callers for a rare one are that thick, on CW the DX will try "ONLY", and if that doesn't work then it's time for the DX to go camouflage for a little while. I'm thinking for example of the rare mults in CW sweepstakes (not DX but I swear... there is a 100 megawatts all on the same frequency once the rare one gets spotted) where split is not generally used. Rate goes down the toilet if they try running and are spotted.
N8HM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »

Yeah. He was answering you.

It's an odd way to answer. I've worked both of the FKs that are active on PSK31. I think I know which one operates like this, but I'd have to check my logs to be sure. You should be able to work one of them soon though, both are on nearly every night around that time.
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:00:11 AM »

Ok,

His signal was 100% copyable, and he also returned his calls with a full report and pleasantries.  I guess I blew it, thinking he didn't want to talk to me....maybe he went quite waiting for me!  I should have given a report and take my chances!

VA2FSQ
N8HM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:00:31 AM »

I'm not a PSK31 DX'er (only dabbled a couple times), but...

I'm willing to bet that not only is this a ATNO for you, but also for 100 hundred PSK'ers who come back all at the same time!

It's also possible that he was trying to move you to split but all of the "up" that came through was "y". I know split must be technically possible on PSK31 but have never personally used split to advantage on that mode. It's done all the time on CW and RTTY.

When callers for a rare one are that thick, on CW the DX will try "ONLY", and if that doesn't work then it's time for the DX to go camouflage for a little while. I'm thinking for example of the rare mults in CW sweepstakes (not DX but I swear... there is a 100 megawatts all on the same frequency once the rare one gets spotted) where split is not generally used. Rate goes down the toilet if they try running and are spotted.

I doubt the pileups were that bad. I worked both FK8GX and FK8DD on my first call to them with about 70 watts and the MFJ mag loop on my balcony. They are both very active on PSK31 and have been for quite some time. If you are working PSK31 at that time of the evening with any regularity, FK won't be an ATNO for long.
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 02:44:46 PM »

Yup he's been on everynight since I started leaving the superbrowser in DM780 running.  Him and someone from Reunion Island...two ATNO to look for.  Won't be long I'm sure.

Now all I need is China...

VA2FSQ
N8HM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:38:43 PM »

Yup he's been on everynight since I started leaving the superbrowser in DM780 running.  Him and someone from Reunion Island...two ATNO to look for.  Won't be long I'm sure.

Now all I need is China...

FR5MV is quite active on PSK31. Worked him back in April.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 06:22:37 AM »

Since he deliberately *wouldn't* work you after obviously hearing you, he must have been looking for *other* stations. The question is who?  Did you make note of the exact calls of the stations he *did* work? You say they were stateside, but were they all in some call area, or did they have some other consistent characteristic?  At his end, the pileup is going to sound much different than it sounded to you and he may have been trying to reduce the QRM.

A construct like this: VA2FSQ VA2FSQ de FKxxx FKxxx only y pse kn
might normally be seen like this: VA2FSQ VA2FSQ de FKxxx FKxxx only DX pse kn
or similar, where the "only" part is his desired target (in other words, "DX" only, or "W6" only, or "QRP" only etc.)

What a 'y' is, I cannot say.  Was that consistent?  Or did you just copy it once (so it might have been noisy or a mistake)?

Also, his CQs should have indicated any attempt, on his part, to limit those who should be trying to call him.  What did his CQs sound like?

I doubt he was working split - as was suggested - because he would likely NOT be listening on his own frequency to "scold" you.  Again his CQs would indicate that.  If he were working split, someone ELSE might harass you, but probably not him. 

-Mike N2MG
N8HM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 10:03:51 AM »

Since he deliberately *wouldn't* work you after obviously hearing you, he must have been looking for *other* stations. The question is who?  Did you make note of the exact calls of the stations he *did* work? You say they were stateside, but were they all in some call area, or did they have some other consistent characteristic?  At his end, the pileup is going to sound much different than it sounded to you and he may have been trying to reduce the QRM.

A construct like this: VA2FSQ VA2FSQ de FKxxx FKxxx only y pse kn
might normally be seen like this: VA2FSQ VA2FSQ de FKxxx FKxxx only DX pse kn
or similar, where the "only" part is his desired target (in other words, "DX" only, or "W6" only, or "QRP" only etc.)

What a 'y' is, I cannot say.  Was that consistent?  Or did you just copy it once (so it might have been noisy or a mistake)?

Also, his CQs should have indicated any attempt, on his part, to limit those who should be trying to call him.  What did his CQs sound like?

I doubt he was working split - as was suggested - because he would likely NOT be listening on his own frequency to "scold" you.  Again his CQs would indicate that.  If he were working split, someone ELSE might harass you, but probably not him. 

-Mike N2MG

It's just how FK8GX operates his pileups. When I worked him, the QSO went like this:

FK8GX de N8HM N8HM N8HM pse KN
N8HM N8HM de FK8GX FK8GX FK8GX kn

Then I gave RST, name, QTH, etc.

I'm not necessarily a fan of this since it adds a useless 'over' to the QSO, but PSK31 QSOs are rarely efficient.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »

What is "only y"? He then continued to answer many other us stations as well as other countries.

OK, so I was confused... so was he calling you at this point?  Too bad!    (The 'y' was superfluous -  like the rest of his "over"...sigh)

As ALWAYS (esp. with DX and pileups) listen to the rhythm.  He would no doubt use the same technique for all QSOs and so it would have revealed itself.

Listen first, transmit later.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 12:03:29 AM »

I had that once and like others mentioned, it means "only you" pse kn because there must have been a pile-up and several others had similar callsigns.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 08:06:44 PM »

Finally got them both! Good weekend, three new ones at an overall total of 172.  They sure seem more difficult these days!

VA2FSQ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: