Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-60r Question  (Read 3522 times)
KB3YXY

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:48:27 AM »

Hi, I just got my Technician liscense and purchased a Yaesu FT-60r. The manual states the battery should be recharged before the low battery symbol appears but does not give any type of indicator as to when it should be recharged (I hope that made sense). I usually have the radio on for 30 or 40 minutes a night just listening, scanning or programming and the voltage has been at 7.6 to 7.7 volts for atleast 2 weeks without a charge. I guess my question is how will I know when the battery is ready for a recharge? Do you wait for the voltage to drop to a specific level or is there a number of hours in operation I should stay under? Thanks.

John
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:24:13 AM »

I have a vx3r & the battery symbol on the display will blink when low or show one bar - alot of times I'll just wait until power fails - ht will not stay on - then charge it. 73 Dave
NW0M

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »

John, Read page 10 of the manual again.  You have it backwards.  It states:

Avoid recharging Ni-MH batteries before the “(low battery icon) ” indicator is observed, as this can
degrade the charge capacity of your Ni-MH battery pack.

So just recharge it when the icon comes on.

73, Mitch
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:21:43 AM by WD0ECO » Logged
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 11:17:53 AM »

Do not stress over this. The charger that ships with the '60R is a stupid, straight-charge one. NOT the best way to charge a NiMH pack. But if you just charge for an eight-hour period, you'll be OK. Some use those lamp timers so that they do not charge for longer periods.

WHEN to charge? You will get to know your radio, and when it will need charging. ALSO - see if turning down the power to 2W works for you in your situation/region. THAT will give you a lot more talk time between charged!

For manually programming the FT-60R, I have digested the 84-page owners manual into a one-page document. It is posted on the DOCS page at ...

http://www.k6lcs.com

And while you're there, look at the "Work-Sat" site that is linked ... Many are using the FT-60R to work the amateur FM satellites!

Clint K6LCS
909-241-7666

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KB3YXY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 11:38:08 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I figured it was not a big deal but thought someone might have come up with a way of determining the optimal time to recharge. By the way, how low have you guys seen the voltage go on the ft-60r?

John
KB3YXY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:50:24 PM »

Oh no...if I got this wrong I'm going to be seriously embarassed but it would make sense. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks.

John, Read page 10 of the manual again.  You have it backwards.  It states:

Avoid recharging Ni-MH batteries before the “(low battery icon) ” indicator is observed, as this can
degrade the charge capacity of your Ni-MH battery pack.

So just recharge it when the icon comes on.

73, Mitch
KB3YXY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 05:17:15 AM »

Well Mitch was right...I read it backwards  Embarrassed. Your supposed to wait for the low battery indicator to come on, then charge it. Sorry for the mix up.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: