Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you working on new antennas this summer?  (Read 1995 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2012, 04:20:58 AM »

I have designed and built a 17M 3 element yagi (using YW and EZnec) and I'm very pleased with it. Earlier this summer I replaced a 41' vertical with a 45' vertical with 6 five foot cap hats and base LC switching - with 160, 60, 40 and 30 switched LC circuits. That vertical has 64 buried radials. I also put up a 40M half square oriented in the NE  - SW directions.

I have a 4 element 20M optimized yagi designed and in (probably) 2 years - will replace the A3S with it. I have been buying old yagi's (mostly old heavy duty Wilsons) on the cheap and re-purposing the aluminum. These antennas have missing parts and old rusted clamps - but the aluminum is good. All of the antennas that I have built (except the AB-952 mast and A3S) cost me < $200 to build.

I usually plan on growing antennas during the summer "DX Doldrums". Oddly enough, this past January we had 60 degree sunny days all month - so I had taken advantage of that by putting up an AB-952 and A3S.

Now I am looking forward to August - and especially the Autumnal Equinox, where surprises usually happen DX wise.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:27:56 AM by KY6R » Logged
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 05:06:40 AM »

I've been repairing storm damage. At first I thought the wind had been whipping the windom so much the the coax broke at the connectors. When I replaced the connectors I found that both the braid and center conductor were carbonized (and vaporized at couple points). I know I didn't get a direct hit, definitely something close. In any case I'm thinking about using guyed fiberglass masts instead of the tree supports I'm using now. I would gain 10 to 15 feet in height also. 
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:52:22 AM »

I am repairing damage to a fiberglass element on my SteppIR. We had some wicked weather here last year including TS/Hurricane Irene and a freak snow storm in October. Parts are here, just need to organize the crane and work crew.

The nice thing is that unlike an aluminum antenna I just retuned the elements and was good to go despite missing half of one. I even ran a few contests with the thing, making 4.7 million points in the WPX test.

I also want to try some ideas for phased low band antennas using K9RS' severely bent four square idea.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:55:57 AM »

Putting up my first tower. Dipole DXing up till now for 296 countries...but it's time to move up to a Yagi:
http://www.ae5x.com/blog/tower-installation/

John AE5X
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 08:01:09 AM »

And hoping to be QRV on 160 for the upcoming season, courtesy of K2AV's compact design:
http://www.ae5x.com/blog/2012/05/14/efficiency-and-small-size-on-topband/

John AE5X
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 11:28:50 AM »

I did help a friend install a small tilt-over crank-up this summer which has given me some ideas...

As for anything in the works, I may try to re-shoot one end of my dipole that sort of got re-located with storm damage from the "freak" pre-halloween snowstorm we had. It's still up there nice and high, but my dipole shifted a bit and some of the wire is in the trees/branches since one of the higher branches it used to sit in fell to the ground.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 11:29:08 AM »

Waiting for the leaves to come off the trees to do any wire antenna work.

In the summer, the forest belongs to critters I'd rather not meet.
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »

Putting up a Directive Systems 4 element yagi for 6M. http://www.directivesystems.com/PDF/DS50-4.PDF Am really looking forward to this new antenna as until recently I only had stacked loops on 6. Had to take them down to put up the yagi and now only have a SteppIR vertical on 6. It "works" but I am glad that I will not be stuck with just that. However I did recently work a new grid on the Pacific coast of California from Detroit but the conditions were great and my Elecraft 500 watt amp helped a bit.

Zack
N8FNR
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 01:03:53 PM »

I am rebuilding a Cushcraft 40-2CD, 2 element 40 yagi.  Hope to have it up in a couple of weeks.
I currently have only a dipole for 40 so this beam will be fun to see how much better I do on 40
I got the Cushcraft in a trade for some other stuff,  aluminum wise it is in pretty good shape.
The original loading coils are not in good shape, pretty corroded.  I need to remake them.
I found this upgrade to the loading coils which improves the efficiency and plan to redo them
this way:
http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/CC_coil.html

Bob
K6UJ
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 06:48:38 AM »

My friend build an air cannon. So far we have my 80 and 160 meter inverted L antennas up in the air, and an open
wire line feed dipole at about 50 feet. We just shot the lines for my 40 and 30 meter fan dipole, which will at about
65 feet high supported by two other tall oaks.  My log periodic stops at 13 MHz so these are for 30 meters and below.

Pete
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 12:53:23 PM »

Putting up a Directive Systems 4 element yagi for 6M. http://www.directivesystems.com/PDF/DS50-4.PDF Am really looking forward to this new antenna as until recently I only had stacked loops on 6. Had to take them down to put up the yagi and now only have a SteppIR vertical on 6. It "works" but I am glad that I will not be stuck with just that. However I did recently work a new grid on the Pacific coast of California from Detroit but the conditions were great and my Elecraft 500 watt amp helped a bit.

Zack
N8FNR

I've thought about one of their 5-element 2 meter antennas for local FM stuff. They seem really well built, I'd be curious in hearing your opinions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: