Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: End Fed Zep  (Read 1723 times)
N8CHR

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2012, 06:35:48 AM »

I just purchased an MFJ End Fed Zep. " I know I could have just as well build one but have several projects going at once.
Question: What the best way to hang this for best performance? I have several tall trees over my house. Could I put one end in a tree and tie the other end off the roof?
 Any ideas, please
 Thanks Tom N8CHR
KB3TXH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:59:21 AM »

My home brew E.F.Z. works well enough with the far end tied to a tree, and the near end, parallel feed, run up a set of surplus fiberglass poles, next to the house.

The half wave end fed I tried first (with a single feed wire into the house) gave me a lot of RFI.

W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »

Remember to keep the ladder-line about 6" away from metal and install a good 1:1 choke on the coax at the coax/ladder-line junction.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:35:44 AM »

What ladder line to coax junction? The ladder line should be run all the way to the tuner.
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »

What ladder line to coax junction? The ladder line should be run all the way to the tuner.

He didn't say what frequency the MFJ Zepp is for but 1/4WL of ladder-line may not be enough to reach the shack. In addition, the MFJ end-fed Zepp is like a J-Pole. The 1/4WL ladder-line is shorted at the bottom and is tapped at the 50 ohm point above the short. Coax is expected to be connected at that 50 ohm tap point and I recommend a 1:1 choke on that coax.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »

Now I see. That is an interesting way to build a Zepp.
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 06:40:12 PM »

Now I see. That is an interesting way to build a Zepp.

It ensures that the MFJ Zepp will have a feedpoint impedance of 50 ohms, something that the traditional Zepp design cannot guarantee.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: