Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Censorship on eham  (Read 22224 times)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 04:54:49 PM »

Hello,
I have experienced the moderation...  I posted a link to an off site review, and the post evaporated.  I know it did, because Google showed it, but when I tried to view it, it was no longer there...  I wrote the moderator, asking the status of my post, got a single reply, asking where it was, I answered, and nothing for weeks past that...  What can you say...  Moderation IS going on, and in my opinion it would have been nice to get a reason for the removal of my post.

Dave
For equipment reviews see:
http://www.nk7z.net

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 05:57:47 PM »

Moderation IS going on, and in my opinion it would have been nice to get a reason for the removal of my post.

I have never gotten any eham response to any of my posts that got deleted. It seems since there are no Posted rules of conduct, we are at the mercy of whomever is moderating that day. Also I have noticed it is now eham policy to moderate Reviews, they do not get posted until a moderator reads the review. Advertiser Protection perhaps......... Maybe this attitude has extended to the Forums also. Protect the Advertisers? Hey, not too far fetched as other Ham Radio outlets do the same thing.

Stan K9IUQ

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »

That didn't last long.

Cheesy Cheesy Yes, it is hard to get mad at something you do not pay for. Free Ham Software is a great example. Few will complain about it if it is free. Start charging $$ and it is a different story. HRD comes to mind.  Wink

Stan K9IUQ
NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 06:53:32 PM »

Also I have noticed it is now eham policy to moderate Reviews, they do not get posted until a moderator reads the review. Advertiser Protection perhaps......

Screening newly submitted Product Reviews is not new.  Been doing that for quite some time. 

As for "Advertiser Protection" being a motivation for review screening - that's a poor and inaccurate accusation for eHam's effort to try and keep the reviews within the published product review guidelines.

73 Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager  (but not Forums Manager!)

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 04:16:24 AM »

I've been using this site for over a decade now, and I've been censored exactly once--and that post deserved to be removed.  I've never had a problem with censoring here, and I doubt that I ever will.  It does come down to courtesy, and common sense--something that is sadly lacking on the entire www on sites like this one.

If you want to come here to lambaste everyone and everything, you deserve what you get.  Try to be polite and look at things from the other point of view before you post, and I doubt that you'll ever have any trouble here.  Just my .02, non-inflation adjusted!
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 04:24:20 AM »

Try to be polite and look at things from the other point of view before you post, and I doubt that you'll ever have any trouble here.  Just my .02, non-inflation adjusted!

Chris, you said a mouthful.  Over many years, I've seen more websites, usenet groups, Fidonet echos, and mailing lists just *ruined* by a few malcontents, than I can begin to count.   And eHam has been the best-behaved, most useful and helpful, nicest site I've seen, for many years now.   If it takes a bit of "moderation" to do that, I'm FINE with it!  And if users practiced "moderation" in their posts, as you said above, the moderators wouldn't need to do much moderating, would they?  Wink
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 04:59:01 AM »

OH yes. Always Go with the majority view. Never have a differing view from anyone. Agree with everyone and do not rock the boat.
You will never be moderated.

Stan K9IUQ
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 05:47:43 AM »

If you want to come here to lambaste everyone and everything, you deserve what you get.  Try to be polite and look at things from the other point of view before you post, and I doubt that you'll ever have any trouble here.  Just my .02, non-inflation adjusted!
Why assume that a good lambasting happened?  My post was a simple note and link to a review, which was pretty fair, I think...  It however was moderated out with no reason given.
Dave
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:02:46 AM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 06:01:32 AM »

A common theme seems to be emerging....people seem to be ticked off at not being given feedback as to why their post was removed more so than just the fact that it was removed....just an observation, not that it really matters...lol

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 06:39:06 AM »

A common theme seems to be emerging....people seem to be ticked off at not being given feedback as to why their post was removed more so than just the fact that it was removed....just an observation, not that it really matters...lol
You sir have nailed it on the head!  Had a reasonable reason been given for my post being deleted, I would not have ever even posted to this thread.  I had in fact, had come to the conclusion that I was not even going to mention it in public until this thread popped up, then I decided to not mention it, however, this thread seems normal, not a big rant fest, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth.

Moderation is expected in ANY on-line posting setup...  If and only if the forums rules have been broken, or if the post is just simply insulting, the act of moderation, should be followed with a reason, ALWAYS, else you lose the training effect of moderation...  If it is not, then the moderation just seems arbitrary.  Arbitrary moderation is the death of a group in the long run, and as this thread shows, it does tick off some people.  I am not one of the no moderation should ever happen folks, but give a reason please!

If eHam does not want me to post links to outside reviews, then tell me...  Don't just toast a post and give no reason.  Worse don't answer an email about it, asking which post, then ignore the response, which was polite, and asked for the moderation reason as happened to me on eHam a few weeks ago.  The problem with this sort of moderation is that it makes the users nervous, I am half expecting this post to get moderated...  If I agree, then I will follow the rules, if not, then I will leave the group, it is not my forum, and the moderators get to run things as they feel appropriate...  It's really simple to run a group, if there are not enough people, then recruit more, there are hundreds if not thousands of people that would be happy to help in moderation of the forums here on eHam.

I moderate two yahoo groups, one with 4K users, I NEVER moderate a post without sending the person a personal note covering why the moderation occurred.  I have to moderate about 1 in 1000 posts, (at most).  If the eHam moderators want to drive traffic to the reviews section, and not allow outside links, that is fine, just let me know, else I get ticked about things.

Dave
NK7Z

Thanks,
Dave
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 07:38:32 AM »

Moderation is expected in ANY on-line posting setup...  If and only if the forums rules have been broken, or if the post is just simply insulting, the act of moderation, should be followed with a reason, ALWAYS, else you lose the training effect of moderation.

Exactly.  I think that is what is frustrating people, they have no feedback and thus no way to know what it is they did wrong.  Without that knowledge, they probably feel they are likely to make the same mistake again.  After all, if you don't know what is broken, how can you possibly fix it.  

Although the site owners are by no means required to do so, I think it would be in everyone's best interest if a set of forum guidelines were posted so that everyone (including the moderators) knows what to expect.  By doing that as well as letting people know why their post was removed, I feel it would lower the frustration level.

I have never had a post removed (however, I'm not a frequent poster), but what I don't want to see happen is good people that contribute get frustrated and stop posting, which would eventually dilute the usefuleness of the site.

I come here to learn, there are a lot of very informative posts by very smart people.  I want those people to hang around and continue posting.

Personally, I have pretty thick skin and don't get offended easily.  If I come across a post I don't like, I just skip through it.  I would like the opportunity to read all opinions, whether or not I agree with them.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 07:42:56 AM by K2CMH » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 08:01:10 AM »

Personally, I have pretty thick skin and don't get offended easily.  If I come across a post I don't like, I just skip through it.  I would like the opportunity to read all opinions, whether or not I agree with them.

Yup...  Same for me, If I see a post I do not want to read, then I skip it as well.  I think I have had less than five posts moderated in the past 15 years of being on-line, (one of which was here, and recently), in most cases, it was exactly as it was here, no reason, not Idea why, the post just evaporated... 

It is not a good sign to see this sort of thing start here, as I also like to see what others think about something.  I almost never purchase something without looking over the on-line posts about that item...  Alas, I suspect that in the long run we are all in for removed posts with no explanation.  The moderators after all get to do as they please, as it is their forum...  If they are watching this thread, then they should contribute, if they are not watching this thread, then they should be...  Either way, not seeing moderator input is worrisome...

Dave
http://ww.nk7z.net

Thanks,
Dave
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 08:54:51 AM »

Judging by some of the responses here it seems that those who are complaining know exactly why their posts are being moderated. Maybe, it is time to be a little more self-critical about what we post and stop blaming the moderators! Wink

Fred EI4GMB
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:57:56 AM by EI4GMB » Logged

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 09:47:20 AM »

Judging by some of the responses here it seems that those who are complaining know exactly why their posts are being moderated. Maybe, it is time to be a little more self-critical about what we post and stop blaming the moderators! Wink

I have no idea why my post was moderated...  Given that only a few, (maybe only me), have commented about a specific post of their's being moderated, I assume you are responding to my last post.  I see no way you could extrapolate your quote from the provided data in any reasonable fashion... 

After the fact, in public, analysis, as we are doing now, certainly makes one think about the reasons, (and you then have more data; your post got moderated, and now you know something you did not know at the time of the post), it offers a range of reasons, none of which one is sure of however.  The lack of a reason seems impolite to me, it leaves me guessing why my post was removed. 

This seems to me to not be a good thing over the long run.  If a significant number of users begin to wonder if a post will be moderated, then the posters will start to modify their posts in ways the moderators may not want, i.e. not saying things they think will trigger the moderators, regardless of their real feelings...

Self review of a pending post is always a good thing, as I, and I assume many others do...  It appears to me that you are reading in a lot more to the posts, than there is really here...  If one tags an intelligent discussion as complaining, (as I believe you have), then it becomes really simple to make posts such as your last one... 

Clarity in everything is a good thing, fog in the reasons for moderation is a bad thing...   

Dave

Thanks,
Dave
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »

Judging by some of the responses here it seems that those who are complaining know exactly why their posts are being moderated. Maybe, it is time to be a little more self-critical about what we post and stop blaming the moderators!

I can't say that after reading all of the messages in this thread that I have seen information that would lead me to believe that the people that had posts removed know why.  I actually came to the opposite conclusion, that they don't know why, which is why they are upset.  Would you care to share specifically what it is that caused you to arrive at the conclusion that you did?
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: