Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ground mounting a Cushcraft R6000 vertical ?  (Read 1339 times)
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2012, 02:18:08 PM »

Now after   installing the Carolina Windom 80s at my home I am now looking at installing my Cushcraft R6000 HF vertical,   if I was to mount this vertical on a short length off pole at ground level would I  loose much performance in the real world as opposed to it being mounted say 25 feet up and on top off the roof off my house ?

wonder what would be the recommended minimum height for ground mounting bearing in mind its built in radials ?

regards,
john - gm1zvj
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »

These two instructions are part of the R6000 manual supplied with the antenna:

• Horizontally space your antenna sixty-six (66) feet from any surrounding metal.
• When considering height above ground, achieving "line of sight" is most desirable for optimal performance. It is recommended that you
achieve line of sight and be at least ten (10) feet above ground.

So, they're recommending at least 10 feet above ground, and 66 feet from anything alongside it that is conductive.

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »

John -

The counterpoises wires (seven) on the Cushcraft R-series verticals exhibit HV (at ends), when transmitting.  
This is one reason the instructions advise placing yellow warning stickers on at least 2 counterpoises wires.  It is also why you see the small balls (as well as eye safety) at end of these wires.

At 10 feet (or higher), this keeps the bottom of antenna away from pedestrians.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »

... I am now looking at installing my Cushcraft R6000 HF vertical,   if I was to mount this vertical on a short length off pole at ground level would I  loose much performance in the real world as opposed to it being mounted say 25 feet up and on top off the roof off my house ? ... regards, john - gm1zvj

John,
Both W9GB and WB2WIK have supplied you with the correct recommendations.  Mounting this antenna anywhere near the earth (<3 metres) would substantially sacrifice performance.  Losses due to proximity to earth would compromise the design.  On the other hand, this IS an antenna that is suited for roof mount and the higher the better is usually a good rule of thumb.  GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:55:56 AM »

Thanks so much for the kind advice guys, looks like  there is only one place to mount it and thats at the very top off the mast !!
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »

My R6000 is mounted on a mast along side my chimney.  The base of the antenna is around 20 ft. and the counterpoise is about 6 ft. above the metal shroud on the top of the chimney.  SWR is fine, persormance is good.  If I move it down closer to the chimney top, things get "squirely" so I leave it 6 ft. above the chimney.... When I tuned the antenna 6ft. off the ground in the yard the tuning parameters were mildy different.  I would get it as high as possible....

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: