Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15M open but vacant  (Read 2925 times)
TTOMAS59

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »

I've been hanging out on 15M from 22:00z - 04:00z (6pm to mid night local time) and there is zero activity despite the band being open. I copy W1AW code practice (21.065) as well as numerous shortwave stations from 21.450 mhz to 21.900 mhz. MUF at this point of the solar cycle is above 21mhz at least eighteen hours a day.

Why is no one using 15M?
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:56:07 PM »

There's a chance that everyone else is asking the same question but nobody's bothering to call CQ.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:51:40 PM »

A thousand receivers make no noise.

Turn on the amp and call CQ. Most of the time someone will answer.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 05:50:23 AM »

Um, try calling CQ barefoot the first few times first, 'K? 

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 09:04:06 AM »

There's a chance that everyone else is asking the same question but nobody's bothering to call CQ.

Tomas, K7KBN is right about that!  If you don't hear anything, call CQ!

I was listening to 15m last fall, driving to work before sunrise, here on the east coast of the USA.  I didn't hear anything, called CQ, and got called by a ZL.  :-)  So CALL if you don't hear anything--why miss the chance?  73!
K5CWO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 09:50:52 AM »

Last night until 2300Z there was a West Coast Maritime Net on and I picked up a random QSO just dialing through the band.
TTOMAS59

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:44:50 AM »

Thanks for the responses - the sarcastic ones along with the genuine ones. Yes I do call cq. I wrongly assumed that could be inferred from my post. Would calling cq at 100 watts for ten minutes with a good performance antenna and not getting a response indicate stations are not using 15M?

I don't want to open a can of worms so wise guys need not respond.  Maybe some folks will start using 15 meters.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:57:17 AM by TTOMAS59 » Logged
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 12:34:57 PM »

I've been hanging out on 15M from 22:00z - 04:00z (6pm to mid night local time) and there is zero activity despite the band being open. I copy W1AW code practice (21.065) as well as numerous shortwave stations from 21.450 mhz to 21.900 mhz. MUF at this point of the solar cycle is above 21mhz at least eighteen hours a day.

Why is no one using 15M?

All that can be 'inferred' from your post is that you could hear code practice and broadcasts. Not a thing about you actually calling.

How long did you call for? how long did you listen between calls? Did you change frequency periodically?

If your calls were short, anyone tuning across the band could have missed you, likewise if your listen period was more than a handfull of seconds. If you stuck to one frequency all the time, you may not have been where people were listening, if you moved too frequently, you dont give people a chance to find you.

STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 01:24:13 PM »

I have had similar experiences, but I have found that the gray line is more of a help in making contacts than anything else.
15m and up are still pretty hit and miss at my qth as well.
This solar peak seems to have fizzled so far, so I guess we will all have to take the openings as they occur.

I follow the gray line, and when it intersects myself and others, I find there are qso possibilities - even 10m gets frantic for a short while.
This has been my M.O. for the past six years and I have scored around 7000 dx qso's, mostly on 20m up.

Antennas also have a large effect on performance - I have been astounded at the difference between a vertical and dipole for instance.
The angle of radiation seems to have a huge effect on my results.
Perhaps the lower path loss due to low angle incoming signals is why I seem to hear upper H.F. dx so well, since I mostly run 30w in psk31.

Another factor is the mode you use.
If you monitor 21.070 for a time, you will be very likely to hear PSK31 stations when conditions permit.
I sometimes move to 18.100 or 24.920 to get away from the crowd on 21.070, so give it a try.
If you look at PSKreporter on the net, it will also give you an indication of which stations are heard, by which monitoring stations.

If you are using SSB/voice, then I concur it is quite possible you could call for a long time without a reply.
So have a try at some of the other modes, particularly PSK31.
You could leave your radio set up to 21.070, and let your software monitor and log any stations heard.
Multipsk ( a digimode program) will do this for example, even in the free version.

Good luck, I hope your drought breaks soon.

73 - Rob
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:40:41 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 04:20:58 AM »

Thanks for the responses - the sarcastic ones along with the genuine ones. Yes I do call cq.

Tomas, apologies if you thought I was being sarcastic; I did not understand that you WERE calling CQ.

I haven't been very active the last 7-8 days (since just before the big solar flare), but until then I was checking 15m every evening about 2100Z.  I don't recall the band being dead at the time--I was making contacts into Africa, Europe, and South America pretty regularly.  My log shows that I was also using 20 and 17m at the time, so maybe 15 has been less productive recently and I didn't notice it.

With luck, I'll get some operating time this weekend.  Smiley  Fifteen is often the first band I check--it's been a favorite band of mine since I was a brand-new Technician.  I've got more total QSOs and more new countries worked on 15 than on any other band!
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 06:11:26 AM »

21.295 usually has activity. 21.200-300 is good for dx ssb contacts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: