Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RF Space IF-2000 and the DMU-2000  (Read 2740 times)
AJ4RW

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:07:04 AM »

I'm contemplating switching the scope board in my FT-2000 to the RF Space IF-2000.  I like some of the features of the DMU such as the audio scope, the map and time zones and rotator menu but as far as the band scope is concerned, it functions only to show if the band is active and is good eye candy.  I read somewhere that if you install the IF-2000 board in place of the DMU scope board, you keep all the the functions of the DMU except for the RF scope function.  Does anyone have any experience with this set up and could you please advise if I get to keep the DMU unit and still have the IF-2000?  After I make the decision as whether to go this route, I will focus on the which pan adapter to get.
73 Randy AJ4RW
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »

I read somewhere that if you install the IF-2000 board in place of the DMU scope board, you keep all the the functions of the DMU except for the RF scope function.

That is my understanding as well.  I currently have a DMU200 and have been contemplating the same thing you are.  I'm having a tough time with the decision because by the time you buy the IF-2000 and the other stuff you need to setup a panadapter, you are in it for around $500-$800 depending upon what route you go. 

The other thing seems to be that with a DIY panadapter solution, you are limited to a 192khz view of spectrum, whereas with the DMU, you can go up to 500khz (maybe higher, I can't remember), therefore you can see the entire band on the display.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:58:39 AM »

Carlton, I took the plunge and bought an IF-2000 and the LP-Pan set up.  The cost was about $450.00 initially.  I replaced the Yaesu scope board with the IF-2000 and installation was a breeze.  On KC8RP's website there's a great step by step instructions with pics to do the installation.  The DMU-2000 still retains all its functions such as the map, audio scope, logbook, swr mapping and memories and is in use now with the IF-2000.  The only thing you lose is the RF scope which to me was useful in seeing if the band was in use and for eye candy.  It has a maximum bandwidth of 2500 kcs but I wasn't able to use it for anything else.  I wanted to duplicate the flex's spectrum scope and the DMU doesn’t even come close but I still love all the other functions.  I purchased a creative labs E-MU 0204 USB sound card as suggested by N8LP and others and it really makes a difference over my integrated onboard soundcard.  I’m only capable of 192 KHz wide with the E-MU soundcard but I very seldom ever go over 20 KHzs wide when doing spit and when using NAP3 it can vary from about 10 KHz wide to around 190 KHz.  I’m just guessimating because I never really looked that close at it.   I also downloaded the LPB2 which creates virtual ports so that I can still use my Ham Radio Deluxe  and the NAP3 program on the same comport.  That allows me to use my VFO B in conjunction with my VFO A so I can operate split.  So far from a little trial and error it operates split fairly well.  I guess the real test will come tomorrow when CY9M dxpedition starts and there will be lots of opportunity to operate split which is what I wanted.  So far, I love the addition to my FT-2000!
73 Randy AJ4RW
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the informative post.  I will be interested to hear your opinion after you have used your new setup for a while.  Please keep us up to date.

Thanks,
Carlton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: