The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem: DV4mini on Raspberry Pi 2B Dropping Packets  (Read 1892 times)
AC8SW

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2016, 03:51:39 PM »

I've recently installed my DV4mini (DV4MF2 Control Panel V201.73) on a Raspberry Pi 2B.  Testing with the FCS002-99 and FCS003-99 reflector ECHO rooms confirmed what early contacts reported: My system is dropping a significant fraction of data packets.  The Control Panel software file is W4DWF_Jessie_Rpi2_Rpi3_Dv4mini_5-30-16.img, downloaded from http://alabamalink.info/Downloads/.

The same DV4mini dongle performs flawlessly on a Windows 10 laptop, but the Control Panel software was downloaded from the Wireless Holdings, LLC, web site (http://wirelesshold.com/manuals.aspx), and of course the processor is much faster.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?  Is the RPi 2B not capable of handling the DV4mini speech processing load?
AC8SW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 12:02:06 PM »

Update:  I believe I have isolated the problem of dropped packets and subsequent garbled speech to the WiFi dongle that came with the RPi 2B.  Connecting the RPi 2B/DV4mini to my cable modem via wired Ethernet eliminates the problem.  The playback from the FCS002-99 Echo room is flawless over the wired Ethernet connection.  A replacement WiFi dongle is on order.  More later.
AC8SW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:46:21 AM »

Problem Solved -- Purchased an Edimax EW-7811Un WiFi adapter from Amazon.  Amazingly inexpensive.  Plugged the tiny Edimax dongle into the RPi 2B and it worked right out of the box.  No need for complicated driver installation.  Based on limited but indicative testing, the Edimax WiFi adapter has solved the dropped packets / garbled speech problem associated with the WiFi adapter that came with the Pi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: