Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some 811H Help  (Read 1628 times)
NH7FL

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2012, 06:15:30 PM »

I finally took the plunge and got myself a linear amplifier and a capable tuner.  I've read all the instructions but am having trouble getting the amp to key up.  I'm using a Kenwood TS-590S and an Ameritron AL811H.  I've made all the connections but I think I'm missing something as far as the settings go.  Other then the obvious coaxial settings which i"ve checked and found to work fine, what do I need to hook up as far as the keying piece that I'm missing and what radio settings do I need to get the thing to key up?  Manuals are very vague on this.

Thanks Art,
NH7FL
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:31:37 PM »

Did you hook up the "key" jack to the radio? It's one of the RCA jacks. 

The radio basically closes a circuit that causes the amp to key.

Also, the amp's "OPR/STBY" switch must be in "OPR" mode.

All of this is in the owner's manual.

There are no settings on the radio as far as I know.

W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »

Some rigs have a menu setting to enable the tx relay in the rig. Not sure about the 590. If it is a used rig, the relay might be shot.
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »

Hi Art--

I'm assuming you have made the connections between the TS590S and the AL811h per the pic on page 68 of the 590's manual.  Did you remember to switch ON the amplifier control relay via Menu No. 53 (for HF)?  If you have the internal relay ON, you then need to select 2 or 3 to set your TX relay delay time, 10ms or 25 ms respectively.  See page 53

While I don't own a 590, that is the info I found in the manual.  If I have things messed up, I'm sure someone will jump in and straighten us out  Grin

73 & GL

Frank, W1NK
NH7FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »

Got it figured out finally.. Thanks for the suggestions.  I ended up transposing PIN2 ... re-soldered and amp keys up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: