Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgraded license posting  (Read 14735 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 01:27:55 PM »

I took the test to upgrade to General Saturday (2 days ago on 6/9). It's in the FCC database now! That only took 2 days.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 01:29:33 PM by K5UNX » Logged

KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 06:57:22 PM »

I took the test to upgrade to General Saturday (2 days ago on 6/9). It's in the FCC database now! That only took 2 days.

Wow, that's pretty fast! I passed mine on Saturday 6/16, so the upgrade should hit this week.

Loren
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »

Just curious - is there a particular reason you're in a hurry?  If you've upgraded, you can use your new privileges immediately, by appending the appropriate suffix to your call when you're operating in the new class's sub-bands.

I was talking to a candidate today who was anxious to let everyone know he'd just passed the Extra.  He wanted to use /AE !

Wouldn't this lead to probable LoTW confirmation issues? (I love LoTW, but not enough to get a K9AIM/AE certificate)
I can't wait to see my upgrade reflected. After that, 7.020, 14.020, 21.020 -- here I come :-)  I could go there now, but after waiting 35 years, a few days won't matter  Grin
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »

It was great to see my license class listed as Amateur Extra today in the FCC's online ULS site.  I am a little surprised my expiration date still remains the same as it was prior to my upgrade...  Is that correct -- upgrading does not renew your license term?  It has been 35 years since my last upgrade so I am a little rusty in this area Grin

Also, anyone know what percentage of extras do not have 1x2 or 2x1 calls?  I could apply for one I suppose, but I would want it to match my district geographically (9) and it would have to have a better CW weight than my present call (which also has a nice rhythm...) For CW, my current call is very similar to K9LM. 

One other question -- what is the longest time you know of someone waiting for a particular callsign to become available?   
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 05:44:37 AM »

I am a little surprised my expiration date still remains the same as it was prior to my upgrade...  Is that correct -- upgrading does not renew your license term?  It has been 35 years since my last upgrade so I am a little rusty in this area Grin

That's correct, upgrading doesn't extend the license term. An upgrade counts as a "license modification", not a "renewal". It's the same situation as an address change.

Under current rules, you can't renew until you're within 90 days of your expiration date. It used to be common practice to check the "renew" box whenever you submitted the old form 610 for whatever reason. (I remember one time when I lost my wallet and license in the 70s, I submitted an out-of-cycle renewal just to get a new copy of my license.) Now you have to wait until you're close to expiration date to submit a renewal. The good part, though, is that online filing makes it much easier than it used to be.

Also, anyone know what percentage of extras do not have 1x2 or 2x1 calls?  

I don't know of any definitive data, but here's an estimate. There are 43,680 1x2 and 2x1 calls available. VanityHQ says that 2694 of these are not currently issued, leaving 40,986 that ARE issued. N2EY's last posting in the "License Counts" thread says there are 129,918 Extras with current (non-expired) licenses. This means that almost 89,000 Extras, over 68%, do not have 1x2 or 2x1 calls.

(Note that this analysis ignores the few holders of 1x2s that are not Extras, the holdovers from the early years. And also note that almost all of the non-issued 1x2s and 2x1s are either date-controlled (meaning not available for reissue yet) or geographically-controlled (meaning not available in the lower 48 states).)

One other question -- what is the longest time you know of someone waiting for a particular callsign to become available?  
Interesting question. I don't know.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:48:12 AM by W3HF » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: