Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Amateur Extra  (Read 9988 times)
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 07:37:08 AM »

...Just today, I bit the bullet and purchased a hamtestonline Extra subscription so I can study the material and pass the Extra.

K9AIM, that course is first class. I just finished mine. I bought it in June, with 33 hours of actual study time (you can see all your progress with a graph plus it keeps tracks of total hours) and in 33 days from the time I ordered the course, till the time I was an extra class operator. Best money spent in a long time. Its adaptive to you, so do not share your account. It reviews your weak areas automatically. The progress graph (seen by clicking "score") will show a graph that starts out as mostly read, (red is unseen questions) then areas of review are blue (learning)  and learned area is green. Soon, the graphs red is reduced, filled in the middle with blue, then the green at the other end starts to take over as you learn. When the green hits 75%, start taking the practice test. I took my actual extra class test when my green graph was 98%. I could of kept going if i wanted a perfect 100, but I was OK as I checked the ARRL site and seen they had a test close that Saturday. Rest is history.
W7HBP, extra class operator as of 8/11/12  Grin
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 09:07:02 AM »

K9AIM, that course is first class. I just finished mine. I bought it in June, with 33 hours of actual study time (you can see all your progress with a graph plus it keeps tracks of total hours) and in 33 days from the time I ordered the course, till the time I was an extra class operator. Best money spent in a long time. Its adaptive to you, so do not share your account. It reviews your weak areas automatically. The progress graph (seen by clicking "score") will show a graph that starts out as mostly read, (red is unseen questions) then areas of review are blue (learning)  and learned area is green. Soon, the graphs red is reduced, filled in the middle with blue, then the green at the other end starts to take over as you learn. When the green hits 75%, start taking the practice test. I took my actual extra class test when my green graph was 98%. I could of kept going if i wanted a perfect 100, but I was OK as I checked the ARRL site and seen they had a test close that Saturday. Rest is history.
W7HBP, extra class operator as of 8/11/12  Grin

Congrats!  Thanks too for reinforcing my decision to anti up.  Funds are tight, but $34.95 is not bad because my trial phase revealed to me how much fun it is to learn -- especially when the material is well-presented. It has been 35 years since I studied for a ham exam, but hamtestonline.com makes it fun.  Sept. 19 is a test date & location close enough to me that it is now on my calendar...

It will be interesting taking it this way.  In 1977 when I passed the Advanced it was at the Chicago FCC office and I was just 15 so it was quite intimidating.  Even though I was good at code, perfectly copying the 13wpm, exam over the headphones in such a setting was much more difficult than it would have been in a more relaxed environment and I could barely copy it over my nerves (do or die, no timeouts or do-overs if you have a hiccup...). 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:12:28 AM by K9AIM » Logged
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »

Make sure you let us know how it went.  Grin
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »

Ryan,
Congrats. Tubes odd, no way. They take a licking and keep on ticking. ( Sorry Timex ) Think power amps.
 Enjoy your new play ground.

Tom Kb3hg
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »

Hopefully this is not just pie-in-the-sky talk, but I plan to pass the Extra by November.  No more whining from me about how I I have to re-take all of the Advanced part of the Extra that I already have passed; and no more lamenting that even though I passed an FCC-proctored 13wpm code exam in 1978, I am not allowed in CW segments that people who don't even know code can theoretically access  Wink

I am in Illinois visiting my mother this weekend, and since an exam session was happening not too far away I went ahead and took the no-code Extra today and ... passed!  On  hamtestonline the green hit 75% at the end of some pre-test cramming this morning -- total study time was 14.21 hours.

Even though it was not at an FCC office like when I passed my Advanced in 1978, I was still a bit nervous because I wanted to pass and wasn't yet at 100% study wise... I did miss 7 questions but fell well within the passing range.   It is kind of bittersweet to be yet another disappearing Advanced class licensee, but my code speed is well above 20wpm these days and it will be nice to chase DX in the segments restricted in the USA to Extra class licensees.

73!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:58:53 AM by K9AIM » Logged
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »

K9AIM-

Congratulations! Enjoy the privileges.

Steve
W3HF
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 08:57:12 AM »

Thanks!  One thing I found odd in the "what to bring to an exam" info ( http://www.arrl.org/what-to-bring-to-an-exam-session )
was --

6. Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.

Why #2 pencils?  The exams were graded by hand from what I saw?  I suppose pencils make erasing easier, but why #2?
is it for if the FCC ever decided to check the exams by machine?

I was on my way to the exam and remembered the pencil requirement and almost stopped and bought pencils and a sharpener but did not.  I had one stub pencil I was not sure was a #2 but went with it anyway hoping they would have pencils there (which they did). 
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »

Why #2 pencils?

My guess is that it's the same reason that we were told the same thing when we took standardized tests as kids. #2 pencils are hard enough to make definitive black spots, but soft enough to erase cleanly.

Speaking as a VE, yes the answer sheets are graded by hand, but we need them to be definitive. We don't want to have to guess which mark is the intended answer if the candidate changes his/her mind. So clean erasures are good, but our team will accept any method the candidate wants to use: arrows (to indicate "this one"), a large X (to mean "not THIS one"), or even extra words to make it absolutely clear.

And we'll take answer sheets completely filled out in ink, too.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 12:29:23 PM »

I remember once telling a candidate to indicate the desired answer by making a black dot over the corresponding letter on the answer sheet.  I got back what appeared to be a blank answer sheet, until I noticed that there was a small black dot just above one letter on each line.  Be careful what you ask for, and how you ask for it.

And yes, we graded it that way.  We're pretty flexible, as long as the candidate's intent is clear.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: