Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T4X restoration and 6146 upgrade.  (Read 2560 times)
NY0Y

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2012, 06:36:57 AM »

The ceramic tube sockets fit the chassis holes OK, so I soldered up all the bypass caps and added the cathode resistors as indicated.

The darn sockets are too big to fit under the bandswitch shaft, and when that was solved, they are too wide between mountings.  So, a careful search for 1" octal sockets was conducted.  Found one company with two of the required socket; all they had in stock.

Have found a replacement plate choke from SSN, and plan to bore it out and add ferrite rod.  It started out at 109 uH.  Be fun to see where it ends up.  Same wire gauge as original, just a little longer.  Original measured 82 uH.

Try again this weekend.

NY0Y
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »

I recently "restored" a T4X, new electrolytics, new film caps, blue lamp filters, new (old) finals.  Why do you consider the 6146's a upgrade?  Love the radio, stable, good signal reports, etc. 
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:13:56 PM »

I wonder about the upgrade also. The original tubes perform well and can last nearly a lifetime if treated properly. The conversion will also reduce the price should you decide to sell down the road.

Dale W4OP
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 05:06:48 AM »

I wonder about the upgrade also. The original tubes perform well and can last nearly a lifetime if treated properly. The conversion will also reduce the price should you decide to sell down the road.

Dale W4OP

I converted my T4XC's to 6146's way back in the 1970's, even though sweep tubes were plentiful and cheap. It was a very easy conversion, and did not require choke changes or anything else. It was very easy to change back.

The only changes necessary were the tube sockets and caps, one capacitor in the neutralizing, and a resistor in the bias.

The only tubes that fit were 6146's using the stepped-in base. As I recall, that was because a tank lead or something else ran past the tube base near the chassis.

I absolutely did not change the plate choke or anything else, it was just sockets, bias, and things related to the different P-G1 feedback capacitance.

73 Tom
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »

Hey Tom! Good to see you again! You have been missed!

73!

Will Rogers
K5WLR

I converted my T4XC's to 6146's way back in the 1970's, even though sweep tubes were plentiful and cheap. It was a very easy conversion, and did not require choke changes or anything else. It was very easy to change back.

The only changes necessary were the tube sockets and caps, one capacitor in the neutralizing, and a resistor in the bias.

The only tubes that fit were 6146's using the stepped-in base. As I recall, that was because a tank lead or something else ran past the tube base near the chassis.

I absolutely did not change the plate choke or anything else, it was just sockets, bias, and things related to the different P-G1 feedback capacitance.

73 Tom
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 12:12:09 PM »

Tnx Will, nice to see you too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: