Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D-Star Question/ ICOM 31A  (Read 2725 times)
KC0ZPS

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »

I have a question in regards to D-Star that I can't seem to get any help on.  I am new to D-Star with the ICOM 31A UHF HT.  The D-Star repeater I frequent is W0CDS.  I've been using it quite a bit (rag chewing, signing into nets locally and over reflectors) on Node B.  It was fun.  However, I guess there was a complaint that I wasn't following the "gentlemen's rules" of the repeater.  Basically, the rules of the repeater is that Node B is used for general rag chew and node C is used to link up to reflectors to sign into nets (I've been using node B).

Ok, fair enough, I thought.  Unfortunately, I'm now trying to understand these nodes.  Is the 31A capable of connecting to a different repeater node?  I thought Node C is 2 meters and Node B is 70cm's.  The 31A is strictly a 70cm HT so am I stuck with node B?  I'm looking at the repeater information for W0CDS :

http://dstarusers.org/viewrepeater.php?system=W0CDS

and it mentions that Node C is "2 Meters (Usually "C" Node):145.25000MHz -0.600".

In fact, when I program my radio to use node C, I don't get anything.  I'm confused....
KC0ZPS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 05:37:45 PM »

Found my answer.  Bottom line is that I cannot connect to node C using the ICOM ID-31A.  This means that other repeater users are going to have to deal me (and other ICOM ID-31A users) linking up reflectors/repeaters using node B.  If it becomes a real problem, I'll just buy me the DVAP.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 08:50:38 PM »

Now you know why there is such a groundswell of interest in D-STAR.  D-STAR takes a simple concept and makes it a PITA!  There is almost nothing that D-STAR does that cannot be done on analog repeaters at less cost and with a lot less headaches.
KC0ZPS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 07:30:18 AM »

Well, since I've answered my own question, we can open it up Dennis. Smiley  I've only been doing D-Star for about 6 weeks now and you haven't told me anything new that others already have.  However, there seems to be a ton of misinformation out there in regards D-Star.  Lets take your statement, for example.  I don't think the complexity was due to the D-Star system as much as the policy of the repeater.  I could have reworded my original question using analog mode, IRLP, and an analog radio that supports only one band and we have the same situation.

Is D-Star expensive?  Unfortunately, yes.  However, I'd argue that the ICOM 31A actually makes D-Star easier.  For those who don't know, the ICOM 31A has a built in repeater list and a GPS receiver.  I ended up taking it with me when I did a road trip last month.  In order to access the repeater in the area I was visiting, all I did was select "find nearest repeater", then select the closest repeater.  Presto, I'm on the air.  No having to figure out what repeaters there are in the area, then its offsets, tone mode, and tone codes.  The 31A actually got this right.

There were two "features" of D-Star that DID blow my mind.  The first is that I can put in my wifes callsign into the radio and the system will automatically route me to the last D-Star repeater she accessed.  Second, and I don't know if this is the propagation characteristics of 70cm, but I'm able to access my local repeater (20 miles away) using 1/10 of a watt.  I purchased the AA battery pack for the HT and it only supports 1/10 of a watt, to my disappointment.  However, I am finding that I can still hit my local repeater using it.  That REALLY surprised me.

I AM disappointed with DPRS in that I can't really beacon myself.  I guess DPRS shouldn't be used like APRS anyway.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:32:09 AM by KC0ZPS » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 07:54:56 AM »

I have to admit that the 31A is causing me to take another look at D-star, primarily because of the repeater list. Is that list automatically updated via the network or is it something you have to load manually?

KC0ZPS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 07:59:09 AM »

I have to admit that the 31A is causing me to take another look at D-star, primarily because of the repeater list. Is that list automatically updated via the network or is it something you have to load manually?

You can get the latest repeater list from here :

http://www.dstarinfo.com/downloads-for-icom-software.aspx

It generates a file that you can load onto the ID-31A either through the cloning cable or you can pull out the SD card and load it directly from your PC.  The ID-31A DOES come with software too, btw, which is a nice bonus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: