Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keyer trouble  (Read 416 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »

Hi I just recently started experimenting with CW, I ma using a G5rv an icom 746 nad noctice that when I go on 20 meter the keyr from that radio kind of go crazy, could that be RF, it only happneds at ful power in 20 meter, when I reduce the power does not happend
9V1VV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 08:48:09 PM »

Hi, try winding a few turns of the key-to-radio cable round a ferrite cable choke. If that doesn't work you should look at your station grounding. Plus,  consider that the G5RV is not a perfectly balanced antenna - there may be RF coming back to the shack from the feeder. You may want to experiment with baluns in the feedline in that case.... many things to try.
73 John

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 04:06:23 AM »

Did you construct a 1:1 balun at the feedpoint on the coax before the balanced line transformer?

You can google directions for making a simple one that will work by wrapping the coax neatly into about 6-10 turns 10" in diameter.  

This will decouple RF from the outside of the coax, which is usually how the RF gets into the shack in this situation.  

20 meters is typically the worst band for that happening on, too.  

There are many who will tell you the G5RV doesn't need that balun, those would be the ones without RF in the shack I guess.  I say always put it there when erecting the antenna, saves having to do things twice and cannot hurt a thing otherwise.  

KE3WD
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 08:28:14 AM »

Hi the kind of G5RV is a true talk , so can add the balun at the end or can I used a RF suppressor isntead?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: