Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TAPR Direct conv transceiver - orders must be placed by July 25  (Read 6758 times)
K0IZ

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »

55Mhz direct conversion, 7 receivers, 1/2W output thru 10M, 3/8 watt on 6M, great specs.
Digital Up and Digital Down.  Single board.
Orders for the ONLY production run must be placed by July 25.

http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=HERMES
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »

55Mhz direct conversion, 7 receivers, 1/2W output thru 10M, 3/8 watt on 6M, great specs.
Digital Up and Digital Down.  Single board.
Orders for the ONLY production run must be placed by July 25.

http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=HERMES

Wait until July 26 and you can order one from Apache Labs with a warranty and a useful power output of 10-15 watts. http://www.apache-labs.com/index.php

Forget about the TAPR version, it comes with no warranty or support and only 500 mW output.

Both the Apache Labs and TAPR units will ship sometime in October.  

Gene
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 06:08:34 PM »

Gene

From the website "The availability of these products is expected to be early October 2012, no prepayment is required"

Can this be true? A SDR company advertising  a new radio months away from delivery with NO PREPAYMENT?  Wink
BTW it does look interesting.
OTOH the company is in India....

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:12:41 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 09:45:35 PM »

Apache sounds like a real interesting offer. 30 day warranty is better than none but still very short. Shipping from India, well. How about customs?
QRPNEW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 04:58:37 AM »

Apache sounds like a real interesting offer. 30 day warranty is better than none but still very short. Shipping from India, well. How about customs?

Its a bit much expecting people to pay for something with no warranty, how the hell would the average ham  be expected to fix a high tech board made on a automated factory line?

The TAPR deal would be more attractive  if they offered to exchange the board if it is faulty on arrival, which can happen.

I think I will rather order my Hermes from Apache labs because the 30 day warranty at least gives you time  to test the board and make sure that you have not purchased a 800 dollar turd!
QRPNEW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 05:01:39 AM »

You can pay via Paypal, which gives you  some kind of safety net. These days India is the headquarters for most credit card payment processing in the world.

Ordering from India would be the least of my concerns, its better and safer than ordering from Russia!

Gene

From the website "The availability of these products is expected to be early October 2012, no prepayment is required"

Can this be true? A SDR company advertising  a new radio months away from delivery with NO PREPAYMENT?  Wink
BTW it does look interesting.
OTOH the company is in India....

Stan K9IUQ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 07:20:08 AM »

Finally something that looks seriously interesting!

Thanks for sharing!

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 02:34:48 PM »

Finally something that looks seriously interesting!

Thanks for sharing!

I have four main reservations about the Apache Labs product (the first three also applies to the TAPR Hermes board).  

The first is that it still depends on the PC for its DSP processing with all the downsides that doing so entails.

The second is that there is no software developed specifically for the Hermes board.  There are various programs that have been adapted to work with it, such as a modified version of PowerSDR, but there is no software written specifically for it by any company.  

The third is that all software available for the Hermes is written by volunteers and those volunteers can disappear at any time when they get tired of working on it.

The fourth and last is shipping from India.  Apache Labs says shipping is about $40 via FedEx, but I hope that history does not repeat itself and it becomes another WonderRadio disaster.  Part of WonderRadio's problem was getting the hardware shipped reliably without damage out of India.  Supposedly, all of their original shipping was returned damaged to them before the stuff even made it out of the country.  They never recovered from this and went belly up taking people's money without ever delivering anything.  Poof!

Here's the info on the WonderRadio fiasco http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,57633.0.html

I still feel better about ordering from India versus Russia.

Gene
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:38:19 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 02:49:46 PM »

This is incorrect.  If you order the complete transceiver from Apache Labs after July 25, you get a ONE YEAR warranty, not 30 day warranty.  You are confusing the ANAN-10+ PA kit (which has a 30 day warranty) with the ANAN-10+ transceiver which has a one year warranty.  The ANAN-10+ transceiver contains an Apache Labs manufactured HERMES board along with a 10-15 W PA, LPFs, and aluminum enclosure.

The ANAN-10+ PA kit is for use with TAPR HERMES boards which you must order before July 25 from TAPR.  TAPR sells the HERMES without any warranty at all.  All ordered received by TAPR with a cut-off of July 25 determines how many HERMES boards that TAPR will produce.  

I would wait until July 26 and order from Apache Labs.  Forget about TAPR.

Gene
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:53:28 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 10:05:35 PM »

If you order the complete transceiver from Apache Labs after July 25, you get a ONE YEAR warranty, not 30 day warranty.  
As this info does not show up on their website one has to conclude from the warranty information they provide elsewhere. Seems you got some inside information. I usually only rely on the information given officially. So let's wait and see.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 04:46:45 AM »

If you order the complete transceiver from Apache Labs after July 25, you get a ONE YEAR warranty, not 30 day warranty.  
As this info does not show up on their website one has to conclude from the warranty information they provide elsewhere. Seems you got some inside information. I usually only rely on the information given officially. So let's wait and see.

No need to wait and see.  This is official information that is posted to the Apache Labs Yahoo group,  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/apache-labs/message/76, and it is just as I have described it in my earlier posting.

Gene
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 05:18:56 AM »

Here is some more information gleaned from the Apache Labs Yahoo group.  

The reason for the July 25 deadline with TAPR is that TAPR has dragged its feet for months and months in getting HERMES into production.  The guy that did the design of the HERMES PCB finally got fed up with waiting on TAPR and arranged for Apache Labs to manufacture the boards.  But Apache Labs will wait until after the TAPR July 25 deadline to allow ordering so they are not in direct competition with TAPR.  Basically, TAPR needed a kick in the butt to get it moving on HERMES.

Now there is a pissing  Angry contest between Apache Labs and TAPR.  Scotty Cowling, WA2DFI, the current vice-president of TAPR, also has a proprietary interest (he is the President) in Zephyr Engineering, Inc, a contract manufacturer that TAPR uses to manufacture openHPSDR TAPR boards  Huh.  He is developing his own proprietary SDR product called the SDR Stick that borrows heavily on work done by openHPSDR that will be sold by Zephyr Engineering, Inc.  Perhaps the motivation WA2DFI's complaints is that he feels threatened by another competitor such as Apache Labs.  He has posted negative information on the Apache Labs Yahoo group trying to discredit Apache Labs quality and warranty.  This does not hold water since TAPR offers no warranty of any kind on products it sells.  

That TAPR uses Zephyr Engineering, a company whose President is WA2DFI and is also vice-president of TAPR, to produce its openHPSDR products sounds like a BIG conflict of interest to me.  Roll Eyes
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 05:46:55 AM »

Now there is a pissing  Angry contest between Apache Labs and TAPR.  
Even more reason to wait  Cool
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 05:49:02 AM »

This is official information that is posted to the Apache Labs Yahoo group, 
So when I buy the Yahoo Group will be liable  Grin
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 06:12:29 AM »

This is official information that is posted to the Apache Labs Yahoo group, 
So when I buy the Yahoo Group will be liable  Grin

It still is far better than the warranty (or lack thereof) that TAPR offers.

The more you look into it it seems TAPR is turning out to be a corrupt organization.  The vice-president of TAPR, WA2DFI, also happens to be the President of a privately held company called Zephyr Engineering, Inc, which just happens to be the manufacturer of all of the TAPR openHPSDR boards.  WA2DFI's other buddies on the TAPR board of directors makes sure his company gets all of the manufacturing and assembly work.  How convenient!  Roll Eyes

Gene
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: