Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CC number?  (Read 571 times)
KE0CU

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2007, 10:07:38 AM »

AS I listen on 40 m, I hear people exchange FISTS numbers and CC numbers. I know what FISTS is, but CC? Is it short for SKCC? Thanks!
NS5M

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 10:17:05 AM »

CC is the FISTS "Century Club" number, attained by earning 100 points with FISTS operators. 1 point for a regular domestic contact, 2 for DX, 3 for an affiliated Club and 5 for a national FISTS club (KN0WCW in the US).

SKCC numbers are for the Straight Key Century Club, another CW-oriented group for (you guessed it!) Straight Key ops. Both are fun and have large followings.

73 & CU on CW,
Jim
FISTS 11202
CC 1706
SKCC 318
KE0CU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 11:36:37 AM »

My memory may not be serving me well, but I thought I heard a single op exchange both FISTS and CC numbers. Is this possible?
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 12:14:37 PM »

Yes, if you have a CC (century club) number then typically you send it right after you send your FISTS number -- all in the same transmission.
KA3CTQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 06:00:10 AM »

You may hear the exchange of FISTS, CC, and SKCC numbers from the same op.

Last time I looked it up, we have at least 1065 hams who are members of both FISTS and SKCC. All just waiting for the next CW QSO.

Dan
SKCC#2338
SKCC QSL Bureau Manager
KE0CU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 09:38:37 AM »

Does it make any sense for me to return a call to an op who is calling CQ FISTS (I am not a member of FISTS)? If I do engage in a QSO with one of these hams and they send me their FISTS number, do I need to record it in my log?
NS5M

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 10:58:17 AM »

Kinda depends on the op - some are more serious about hunting numbers than others - but I'd think most would be happy for a brief QSO and a chance to sell you on either FISTS or SKCC or both.

My personal style is to answer the CQ if I'm what the caller is looking for: if he's calling CQ DX from the continental US, I generally won't answer him, if CQ NA (North America) or US, I'm gonna give it my best shot. There are always exceptions, but I'd expect someone calling CQ on the FISTS or SKCC freq's to extend courtesy to anyone who answers.

BTW, why not give serious thought to joining either or both? FISTS isn't terribly expensive ($15/year?) and I think SKCC is free, and both are a great way to add some fun to your radio hobby.

Hope to CU on CW,
Jim

WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 06:59:31 AM »

You should join SKCC before the numbers to into 5 digits. SKCC is the best thing that's happened to HF CW in a long time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: