Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liquid electrical tape - worth a try ?  (Read 12953 times)
WB2LCW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »

I bought a can recently and I love it!
I use it on coax pigtails.. i cover the solder lugs with  tape to keep them clean.
I spray 4 coats.it covers the center insulator and soaks into the shield to keep water out..
I used it on my 4:1 1/2 wave coax balun and it worked out great!
make sure to shake the can very well before spraying...

Mike
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 06:37:22 AM »

Spray?  Most of the stuff I've seen is the paint on type.  It comes in a little jar with the brush attached to the inside of the cap.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 03:52:23 AM »

This stuff is expensive and has a short shelf life. I used this stuff on some loading coils using copper tube. With severe, icing, snow and many winters the corrosion eventually got under the surface of the goop. The goop
eventually just flaked off. This was the Liquid tape brand. I contacted the manufacturer and they said I did not clean the surface properly. I  using sandpaper and  a special copper solution for cleaning.  Before I applied the goop,
I cleaned the  coils with alcohol so I know the surface was perfect. Its also very difficult to get a uniform coverage for the brush. If you had a big can where you can dip the assembly into the goop this would be the better practice

These days I prefer heat shrink and 3m tape for connectors. I also use professional transformer varnish for coils. I like to use potting RF resin also.

Another crap product  is coax seal, they cause such a mess and once you put the stuff on your connectors they really cause problems forever with your connectors. The biggest mistake I made was using coax seal putty on some of my high quality connectors.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 07:02:30 AM »

This stuff is expensive and has a short shelf life. I used this stuff on some loading coils using copper tube. With severe, icing, snow and many winters the corrosion eventually got under the surface of the goop. The goop eventually just flaked off....

For an application like that, try the liguid that is made to dip the handles of tools into.  That stuff wears much better.  Be prepared to retreat the connection every couple of years, however, if it is out in the sun and weather.  There is nothing like that for such applications that is going to last forever, especially out in the weather.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 08:34:41 PM »

Home Depot has new item from GB,
LTS-400 spray on black coating,
find it in electrical dept. near contact cleaner.

73 james
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: